Tenor Man Mel Dalton

randissimo

Many of you probably don't know who he is.. Mel Dalton was one of those cats whose presence was always upbeat and invoked inspiration and encouragement and always made me want to play when I was on a gig with him.. He grew up in Pittsburgh around the time of Art Blakey, The Turrentine brothers, and Gene Ludwig and his taste of fame came while he was on the road in the 50's with R & B legend Lloyd Price..

RIP

Mel sounded good. He brought up the modern/mainstream side of things with his Joe Henderson inspired moves, but while he aged his playing grew in depth of feeling and personality. His latest recordings were with trumpeter Sweet Willie Singleton, and Sweet Willie's band with Mel played "Live From Blue Lake" last Spring. While forever the freelancer, he was also part of the band New Connections with trombonist John Hair in the 1990's, and added a nice dimension to a jam session Randy put together and Blue Lake Recorded: The Saxophone Summit Live at the Carribean Club in Grand Rapids. Mel was an inspiring figure on the scene. We were fortunate to have him as a "local" musician.

There's going to be a New Orleans style jazz celebration at Gillespie Funeral Home, Wed night April 16th beginning at 7pm.

Musicans who knew and played with Mel are invited to join in. Dr John Hair is putting out the word...

Mel was so cool. The first time I saw him was at the Caribbean Club with Junior Valentine, with Randy on drums. Must've been '87 or 88 or thereabouts. I was at the tenor summit that Blue Lake taped and that was maybe my favorite night of jazz saxophone in GR. It was a total scene, too, the place was overflowing.

I did an interview for the now defunct The Paper with Mel. He told me a great story of how he visited NYC as a young man, met Charlie Parker at a diner, and introduced himself. Bird wrote the chord changes to Scrapple in the Apple on a matchbook for him.

RIP Mel.

Merritt Alfred Dalton

Merritt Alfred Dalton blew his first note on June 28, 1931 and whispered his last one on April 12, 2008. Known in the music world as "Mel" and "The Silver Fox", he was born in Pittsburgh, PA to James and Julia Dalton. Mel was an extraordinary musician celebrated for his ability on the saxophone, but capable of playing any woodwind instrument. Mel's career started in junior high school when he formed a band with Stanley Turrentine, Dakota Staten and Ahmad Jamal. Mel performed internationally as well as at the Apollo Theater in New York City and on the Ed Sullivan Show, often with well-known jazz greats like Dizzy Gillespie, Ray Charles, Nancy Wilson, Lloyd Price, Art Blakey and Sil Austin. He has opened for various musical greats in our own venue of DeVos Performance Hall. Mel served his country during the Korean Conflict and after being honorably discharged from the US Army, Mel married his sweetheart, Jeanne Audrey Monroe. Mel moved from New York to Grand Rapids, MI to accept an offer to play with the Doug Cook Band at the Blue Note nightclub in 1959. With two daughters and a third on the way, Mel decided it would be a good gig for raising a family. Along with that, he worked for Guardsmen Chemical until his retirement in 1985. He continued playing until illness overcame him this past December. He was preceded in death by his parents. Mel leaves his wife, Jeanne and their daughters, Frances June Dalton, Barbara Dalton-Skanes, and Martine Julia Dalton. Also mourning Mel's passing are his two brothers, James (Glonda) Dalton and Cabel Poindexter; one sister, Martine Rita Dalton; three grandchildren, Brianna Dalton Rodriguez, Bailey Jeanne Dalton and Brandi Jeanne Skanes; one great grandchild, Julian Dalton Aponte-Rodriguez; special friend, Doug Cook; and a host of nieces, nephews and loving friends. His funeral Mass will occur on Thursday, April 17 at 11 a.m. at St. Mary Magdalen Church, 1213 - 52nd St. SE, Kentwood. Visitation will be Wednesday, April 16 from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. and the musical visitation will begin at 8 p.m. until 9 p.m. with a rosary immediately following at the Ivy K. Gillespie Moody Memorial Chapel, 1865 Eastern Ave. SE, Grand Rapids, MI. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Grand Rapids Federation of Musicians, Local 56.

Published in the Grand Rapids Press on 4/15/2008.

Guest Book • Flowers • Gift Shop • Charities

I see where the Grand Rapids Jazz Orchestra performance at Founder's Brew Company this Sunday is dedicated to Mel's memory.

Blue Lake Public Radio will air a special broadcast commemorating Mel Dalton on Sunday, April 27th from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. which will include Blue Lake tapes of the 1991 Saxophone Summit (a concert produced by Randy Marsh), the Scott Veenstra-Mel Dalton Quartet in 1991, and last year's "Live From Blue Lake" with trumpeter Sweet Willie Singleton's band featuring Mel.

Laz

Edited by Lazaro Vega

A reminder that Blue Lake is featuring Mel Dalton's music this Sunday evening from 7 to 10 p.m. (followed by Night Lights). The music from the club hit that Randy put together and m.c.'d is classic: 3 tenor players on Blues Up and Down, Sugar, Killer Joe, Anthropology.

Mel was an important player locally -- while the other two men on this performance, Curt Purnell and Jackson, Michigan's, Benny Pool, are out of the swing and mainstream eras, Mel brought the expressionism of Joe Henderson and John Coltrane with him.

Great tribute, Lazaro. I forgot about that whacked out keyboard sound. WTF was Dave Hay playing? At times it almost sound Sun Ra like, but didn't really fit Dave's bebop approach. It was still wonderful to be taken back to that night. The live in-studio stuff was tremendous. Mel sounded inspired throughout. Thanks for a fun night of listening.