Yes, the Penguin Guide is full of praise for the whole set, calling Alms/ Tiergarten (Spree) monumental.

Recently I came across a different opinion on Allmusic (Thom Jurek). His review for the collaboration with Louis Moholo opens as follows:

"Much of the music Cecil Taylor made during his month-long stay in Berlin was truly worthwhile and reinvigorating for him as an artist, some of it was just ho hum, a little of it was pretty much garbage, and a very small amount was so brilliant it ranked near the pinnacle of his long and well-documented career. "

(Remembrance was not counted among the ho hum or garbage by him.)

I do remember reading some negative comments about Thom Jurek here, so perhaps that quote is a minority opinion.

Yes, the Penguin Guide is full of praise for the whole set, calling Alms/ Tiergarten (Spree) monumental.

Recently I came across a different opinion on Allmusic (Thom Jurek). His review for the collaboration with Louis Moholo opens as follows:

"Much of the music Cecil Taylor made during his month-long stay in Berlin was truly worthwhile and reinvigorating for him as an artist, some of it was just ho hum, a little of it was pretty much garbage, and a very small amount was so brilliant it ranked near the pinnacle of his long and well-documented career. "

(Remembrance was not counted among the ho hum or garbage by him.)

I do remember reading some negative comments about Thom Jurek here, so perhaps that quote is a minority opinion.

I gave Disc 1 a listen after your post, and I would put "Alms" in the "truly worthwhile" category (as I recalled from previous listening). A really crackling performance. Penguin over Jurek in this instance. Of course, one man's meat........

I have all, I think, but one, "In East Berlin 88, " but the DL won't get you the book that came with the box set. Now if they put that on PDF......

I wish I had the East Berlin set; stupidly didn't buy it when I was a poorer college student in the late 90s, when Cadence/North Country had it. Picked up individuals from the Berlin box over the years but sold them when I got a nicely-priced score on the big box about six years ago.

Haven't downloaded any D:O FMPs since everything they've offered I have on disc or LP (or am trying to find on same), but for those who want to hear out of print music legally and don't want to fork over a lot of bread, I support the effort. In a perfect world, the entire FMP/SAJ/Uhl Klang catalog would be perpetually available physically, but... what can you do?