Montreal Jazz festival

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... and Dave Brubeck, Chick Corea (Return to Forever reunion), Miroslav Vitous, Charlie Haden and so on ........

Not exactly a shoddy lineup.

But I've had enough of le Québec for a lifetime, and I'm not going back. (Most ludicrous thing they did was make Eaton's change their name to Eaton, ha ha. No ouay! :P)

Problem is they bring back always the same people (Mehldau, Haden, David Murray) or they bring way past their prime players (Brubeck, Tyner and co). By the way scheduling three shows with nonagerians Hank Jones, Brubeck isn't it tempting fate ?

I generally am able to watch two to three shows per evening that are appealing to me, you can dig up the 2007 thread i created last year to give you an idea. But this year they are about 8 shows i'm tempted to see and very few are in the jazz dogma, that's how poor the offer is to me.

The rare must are Portal unfortunately matched with Terranson, the duet Satoko Fujii and Natsuki Tamura, think Bill Barton will agree and Steve Bernstein, you could add up a couple of interesting singers Reeves, Lincoln and Wilson and if you're not tired of seeing him add up James Carter. Way too thin as a menu and that's a far cry from what they used to offer in the past.

It maybe great for those who plan to watch 1 or two shows but for those who stay and depend of this fest to get their jazz fix, there's really few jazz in the city events worthwhile besides the big fest, ity's crap.

Of these I'd go see:

Billy Bang

Steven Bernstein's Millenial Territory Orchestra

Paolo Fresu

Richard Galliano

Hank Jones/Lovano, and Jones/Mehldau

Abbey Lincoln

Brad Mehldau - solo & trio

McCoy Tyner

Saxophone Summit (Lovano/Liebman/Coltrane)

Cassandra Wilson

and also:

Bettye Lavette

Orchestra Baobab

Steely Dan

At least Quebeckers have Suoni per il Popolo and Victoriaville, which more than balance Montreal's reliance on glamour acts.

Vancouver isn't averse to pop either. The Cowboy Junkies are at this year's fest. But at least there's Iro Haarla, Barry Guy and Tim Berne.

Edited by B. Clugston

Jazz listeners in most cities would be in heaven if their city presented a music festival with this lineup.

Kansas City, for instance.

Or Dallas.

Or Vancouver... I think there are about three times more acts I'd like to see in Montreal than here in Vancouver. And it's not only this year. It's all relative, of course, but I think you have a good line-up :)

Stefan

The thing that visitors don't notice but natives do is that most of these acts have been here so often that they have in a way wore out their welcome. Like i said earlier just compare it to the 2007 lineup and you'll see a huge drop.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...6&hl=binney

Regarding popsters, actually i don't really mind their inclusion as long as they help in a way bring more quality players who are not famous enough to bring big ticket sales.

I will accept gladly that Bob Dylan is part of the festival if in return i can see the Bollani, Abercrombie and Binneys of the world.

At least Quebeckers have Suoni per il Popolo and Victoriaville, which more than balance Montreal's reliance on glamour acts.

Vancouver isn't averse to pop either. The Cowboy Junkies are at this year's fest. But at least there's Iro Haarla, Barry Guy and Tim Berne.

Thank whatever divine entity you beleive for them.

Guest Bill Barton

Problem is they bring back always the same people (Mehldau, Haden, David Murray) or they bring way past their prime players (Brubeck, Tyner and co). By the way scheduling three shows with nonagerians Hank Jones, Brubeck isn't it tempting fate ?

I generally am able to watch two to three shows per evening that are appealing to me, you can dig up the 2007 thread i created last year to give you an idea. But this year they are about 8 shows i'm tempted to see and very few are in the jazz dogma, that's how poor the offer is to me.

The rare must are Portal unfortunately matched with Terranson, the duet Satoko Fujii and Natsuki Tamura, think Bill Barton will agree and Steve Bernstein, you could add up a couple of interesting singers Reeves, Lincoln and Wilson and if you're not tired of seeing him add up James Carter. Way too thin as a menu and that's a far cry from what they used to offer in the past.

It maybe great for those who plan to watch 1 or two shows but for those who stay and depend of this fest to get their jazz fix, there's really few jazz in the city events worthwhile besides the big fest, ity's crap.

Yes, indeed, I would agree that Satoko Fujii & Natsuki Tamura would be a "don't miss this one" concert. They were wonderful when they played here in Seattle a few months back in a totally acoustic format in the Chapel Perrformance Space. Hopefully they'll be performing in a venue where sound reinforcement/amplification is not necessary (Salle de Gesu?)

I'm not so sure that I agree with the statement that McCoy Tyner is past his prime.

I know what you're saying though. When I think back on all of the memorable shows I've seen in the festival over the years, it does seem that the variety of bookings has diminished. As I recall, it was either 15 or 16 years in a row that I attended.

Some of the most memorable performances I've heard in Montreal at the festival have been somewhat lesser-known artists - many of them Canadian - on the outdoor stages. I'll never forget the smokin' performance Sonny Greenwich and his group presented circa 1995 (?). Another one was Mike Nock and his Australian group. The list goes on... Muhal Richard Abrams, Ran Blake, Randy Weston & David Murray, The Paris Reunion Band, Horace Parlan & Archie Shepp, Charlie Haden Liberation Music Orchestra, a double bill of Abbey Lincoln and Shirley Horn, et al. ... lots of great music!

Of these I'd go see:

Billy Bang

Steven Bernstein's Millenial Territory Orchestra

Paolo Fresu

Richard Galliano

Hank Jones/Lovano, and Jones/Mehldau

Abbey Lincoln

Brad Mehldau - solo & trio

McCoy Tyner

Saxophone Summit (Lovano/Liebman/Coltrane)

Cassandra Wilson

and also:

Bettye Lavette

Orchestra Baobab

Steely Dan

Some potentially interesting music here, but I see Van Basten II's point about the "same ol' same ol'". Artists being rebooked year after year. We have a somewhat similar situation here in Seattle with Jazz Alley. Obviously not a festival, but they tend to have the same core of people back time and again. It's a commercial venue, so these folks obviously sell tickets or they wouldn't be back so often. If I were living close to Montreal again I'd definitely make it a point to see Bang, Bernstein and probably Fresu.

If you think that's bad, try the Litchfield, Ct. Jazz Festival with Bebe Neuwirth headlining the first night's final concert.

:blink:

I saw Tyner two years ago, and the rumours were that he was on his last wheels and it probably was the last time we could see him, the c word was even mentionned. The show by itself didn't do anything to dispell that notion, bad acoustics and lack of tightness between members did not get thoings better. Can't say that he offered an everlasting impression on me that day, maybe i caught him on a bad day.

But fact remains that building 3 to 4 shows featuring him is to me a mistake, the invitation series should be offered to people who are still creative artistically while having a strong musical foundation in their past. While still having a recognizable name that people will buy tickets.

The best invitation series in the last 10 years was probably Dave Holland, his Big Band started here and he had a lot of interesting guests.

Guys who could be hired for the job are Herbie Hancock, Dave Douglas, if you had to go for an older guy who still has great licks try Roy Haynes, Christian McBride could be an intriguing guy to let him go for 4 nights in a row.

We could do great thing with Europeans but for whatever reason they sell a lot less tickets, a lot of people here seem to think less of them because they are not famous Americans

Edited by Van Basten II

I also saw Tyner two years ago. He wasn't awful, but there was nothing new and he wasn't memorable as, say, Sonny Rollins can still be. (Fortunately, Tyner was backed by Eric Gravatt and Charnett Moffatt.) The last time I saw Brubeck a few years back, however, he put on a fantastic show.

I agree Montreal has had a "same old, same old" program to it the past few years.

I've been travelling up to the Montreal Jazz Festival yearly (except for 2) since 1991. I love the city, hearing some French, hanging out in the touristy spots. Sacrilege I'm sure, but I just go for the free stuff. I love the variety of music and yes I know it's not all jazz. But there *is* plenty of jazz to be found - and lots of blues too - which I also enjoy. I generally seek out the jazz and blues and seek out other interesting stuff. I've never been disappointed.

I remember hearing Greenwich twice for free in the early to mid 90s. Turned me into a big fan. I've listened to loads of unknown jazz guys from North America and Europe who played their asses off. Some of the names I remember, most I've forgotten - but I've always heard great music.

I guess overall the lineup for the ticketed events is weak this year, but it doesn't bother me in the least. I am tempted to go see Steely Dan and/or Al Green this year though. There is a certain same old same oldness to it I suppose. I can do without Streetnix for the rest of my life. But it's as much about hanging out in a great city as it is going to the festival for me these days. Nothing beats sitting out in the afternoon listening to whoevery drinking a beer and soaking your feet in that huge fountain or hanging out at the blues stage and smelling the marijuana in the cool evening breeze.

Edited by Ed Swinnich

Guest Bill Barton

I saw Tyner two years ago, and the rumours were that he was on his last wheels and it probably was the last time we could see him, the c word was even mentionned. The show by itself didn't do anything to dispell that notion, bad acoustics and lack of tightness between members did not get thoings better. Can't say that he offered an everlasting impression on me that day, maybe i caught him on a bad day.

But fact remains that building 3 to 4 shows featuring him is to me a mistake, the invitation series should be offered to people who are still creative artistically while having a strong musical foundation in their past. While still having a recognizable name that people will buy tickets.

You may have a point there. The last time I saw him was likewise a couple of years back, with the trio, and it was a good if not great show.

The best invitation series in the last 10 years was probably Dave Holland, his Big Band started here and he had a lot of interesting guests.

Yes! Unfortunately I wasn't able to catch the other shows that year, but the duo with Jim Hall was sublime.

Guys who could be hired for the job are Herbie Hancock, Dave Douglas, if you had to go for an older guy who still has great licks try Roy Haynes, Christian McBride could be an intriguing guy to let him go for 4 nights in a row.

We could do great thing with Europeans but for whatever reason they sell a lot less tickets, a lot of people here seem to think less of them because they are not famous Americans

I've been travelling up to the Montreal Jazz Festival yearly (except for 2) since 1991. I love the city, hearing some French, hanging out in the touristy spots. Sacrilege I'm sure, but I just go for the free stuff. I love the variety of music and yes I know it's not all jazz. But there *is* plenty of jazz to be found - and lots of blues too - which I also enjoy. I generally seek out the jazz and blues and seek out other interesting stuff. I've never been disappointed.

I remember hearing Greenwich twice for free in the early to mid 90s. Turned me into a big fan. I've listened to loads of unknown jazz guys from North America and Europe who played their asses off. Some of the names I remember, most I've forgotten - but I've always heard great music.

I guess overall the lineup for the ticketed events is weak this year, but it doesn't bother me in the least. I am tempted to go see Steely Dan and/or Al Green this year though. There is a certain same old same oldness to it I suppose. I can do without Streetnix for the rest of my life. But it's as much about hanging out in a great city as it is going to the festival for me these days. Nothing beats sitting out in the afternoon listening to whoevery drinking a beer and soaking your feet in that huge fountain or hanging out at the blues stage and smelling the marijuana in the cool evening breeze.

That was usually (at least in part) my modus too. Otherwise I never would have heard Olmir Stocker, Greenwich, Karen Mantler, Mike Nock, etc., etc.

Compare the lineup for the Montreal festivel with this summer's Kansas City festival:

Friday, June 13, 2008:

3 to 3:45 PM Diverse

4 to 5 PM Lonnie Ray Blues Band

5:20 to 6:20 PM Gray Matter

6:40 to 7:40 PM Louis Neal Big Band

8 to 9 PM Blues Notions featuring Myra Taylor

9:30 to 11 PM Double Exposure (a local Kansas City group)

5 to 6:15 PM Ida McBeth

6:30 to 8 PM Fourplay featuring Larry Carlton, Bob James, Nathan East & Harvey Mason

9 to 11 PM Angie Stone

Saturday, June 14, 2008:

11:30 AM to

12:30 PM Rhythm and Ribs Jazz Institute Ensembles

1 to 2 PM Elderstatesmen of Jazz

2:30 to 3:30 PM American Jazz Museum All-Stars featuring Lisa Henry

4 to 5 PM Max Groove

5:30 to 6:30 PM Lester "Duck" Warner featuring: Joe Cartwright Trio

7 to 8 PM Linda Shell and Her Blues Thang

Saturday Night Salsa

8:30 to 9:30 PM Trio Aztlan

10 to 11 PM Makusa