Sunday will be A GREAT DAY IN INDY

robviti

As some of you already know, fellow board member Mark Sheldon has organized a photo shoot featuring great jazz musicians who hail from Indianapolis. He has worked very hard for months putting it all together, locating and contacting musicians, soliciting sponsors, working with different venues, etc. A Great Day in Indy has blossomed into a multimedia event that will likely include tv and newspaper coverage, all of which will culminate in a big jam session after the shoot. If that weren't enough, profits from the event will go toward funding jazz education in local schools. It all takes place on Sunday the 1st. I'm very proud to call Mark my friend, and I think he deserves our support and praise for taking on such an awesome task.

don't forget to check out the event website: A Great Day in Indy

Great_Day_HEADER_B.jpg

Instruments%20IMG_2008-keyboards-1.JPGInstrument_IMG_5207-Trumpet2.jpgInstrument_IMG_0053-Guitar.jpgInstrument%20IMG_0101-vibes.jpgInstrument_IMG_0029-Bass3.jpg

Edited by jazzshrink

no he hasn't marla. i should call him and give him a kick in the pants. he phoned me sunday after the shoot and the brunch/jam session. over a hundred musicians showed up for the shoot and everything went very well. one more thing i'll share because it really touched me: mark said a number of the musicians came up to him to express their gratitude for the opportunity to get together with their friends, some of whom they hadn't seen for years. sadly, these artists often don't get a chance to see each other unless it's at a funeral. this was a much happier occasion; one befitting their place in jazz history.

imagine organizing such a get-together for the jazz artists from your city. i was thinking of a dinner/awards ceremony/jam session kind of thing with a name like boston's jazz - we remember. a big undertaking, no doubt, but from what mark said it will provide memories to last a lifetime.

Edited by jazzshrink

no he hasn't marla. i should call him and give him a kick in the pants. he phoned me sunday after the shoot and the brunch/jam session. over a hundred musicians showed up for the shoot and everything went very well. one more thing i'll share because it really touched me: mark said a number of the musicians came up to him to express their gratitude for the opportunity to get together with their friends, some of whom they hadn't seen for years. sadly, these artists often don't get a chance to see each other unless it's at a funeral. this was a much happier occasion; one befitting their place in jazz history.

imagine organizing such a get-together for the jazz artists from your city. i was thinking of a dinner/awards ceremony/jam session kind of thing with a name like boston's jazz - we remember. a big undertaking, no doubt, but from what mark said it will provide memories to last a lifetime.

Thanks for the mini-update, Jazzshrink. Mark really did a great thing and that's what it is all about - keeping the jazz community together whenever possible.

We've lost so many of the great Boston-born jazz musicians - Alan Dawson, Herb Pomeroy. But then again, Roy Haynes is still very much with us, as is Phil Wilson, Andy McGhee...great idea, but I imagine a huge undertaking!

Marla

...left for San Francisco early the day after the shoot and just returned....thanks for the interest. The shoot was a little hectic with 107 musicians in the room and another 100 or more people in attendance. It was fun and rewarding at the same time. Even had a photograph not been taken, it was great to see these guys in town for a short time and enhoying the company of each other. Dr. David Baker, Mel Rhyne, Willis Kirk (flew in from San Francisco), Joe Hunt (from the George Russell sextet) flew in from Boston, Vibist Billy Wooten (Wooden Glass/Grant Green fame) and bassist Larry Ridley were some of the folks in attendance as well as dozens of lesser known but no less wonderful musicians.

The poster was designed today and will go to the printer on Monday...proceeds from the poster sales ($30.00) go to the Indy Jazz Foundation, which supports music/jazz education in the public schools. All musicians will be given a poster as well. Original limited edition prints will be available at a higher cost and there are also five limited edition prints that are matted with the signatures of those in attendance.

...I'll post a few images in the near future.

Mark~