Jon Faddis

Bright Moments

Faddis is an interesting case. The album you mention is hard to fault. I've been listening to it for the last fifteen years at regular intervals, and more often than not my reaction is.... "Nice enough, great chops, but..." Different strokes I guess?

All that being said, Wynton could learn a thing or two from Mr. Faddis! :P

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. It's been a while since we've had a good Wynton bashing. Maybe we need to start a thread! Glad your enjoying the album Evan.

I had the privilege of hearing/seeing Faddis with Jim Pugh at a University of Illinois jazz festival this past June - went THREE NIGHTS in a row- different context each night. This cat kicks butt in SO MANY styles- NOT JUST DIZZY'S! He was quite at home playing in a nonet recreation of Mulligan's "Birth of the Cool" as he was at combo or big band playing - and the "Birth of..." didn't sound like "Dizzy playing Miles" either! He's obviously been working on "Non-Dizzy" sounding contemporary playing as well...KILLER!

The dude's consistent too - high AND LOW chops to spare ALL THE TIME!

I really hope more people check Mr. Faddis out...He's one mature trumpeter still playing his booty off! :)

• 6 years later...

I saw him play once with Dizzy's band as a stand-in for Dizzy--he proceeded to tell exactly the same jokes as Dizzy (who told the same jokes over and over again--"In the audience, the former heavyweight champion of the world, Joe Frazier, stand up Joe--Oh, sorry lady"--"Let me introduce the band," whereupon the band introduces themselves to one another, etc.).

I have long been a fan of Jon Faddis, he helps make the sound of many recordings where he is a side man. I like the previously mentioned Peterson and Faddis but one of my favorites is "Le Jazz Grand" the Michel Legrand album with Phil Woods, Gerry Mulligan and Jon Faddis. The Southern Routes suite is so good and Iberia Nova which is featuring Jon Faddis is well worth a listen.

post-1762-127651527803_thumb.jpg