Lanny Morgan's "It's About Time"

James

Upon going to the QuickSilver Record website following the discussion on the recording "Continuum: Mad About Tadd" I made a discovery which has made my day. (And probably *week* for that matter!)

An old favorite Palo Alto recording of Lanny Morgan's (alto sax) is available through the Quicksilver site -------- Lanny's "It's About Time" features Bruce Foreman, Lou Levy, Monty Budwig and Nick Ceroli. I ordered it immediately, along with the back-ordered Continuum disc.

This is a really solid outing from a largely underappreciated player -- I recall the unison blowing on Ko-Ko with Lanny and Bruce was nothing short of amazing. Lanny mailed me a cassette copy after I talked to him in L.A. during a Bill Holman rehearsal -------- such a gracious guy. I'll have to post more about this recording when I listen to it once again, but until then I'm curious if anyone else remembers this one.

Pacific Standard Time is a fine recording --- don't own it. If memory serves I preferred his V.S.O.P. outing with Tom Ranier, Bob Maize and Frankie Capp titled "Lanny Morgan Quartet." This one I do have. Incredible version of Subconscious Lee, and *very* strong outing overall.

After I get "It's About Time" I'll probably end up searching for P.S.T. to round out the collection.

Editing to correct info. here --- the actual name of Lanny's recording is "Pacific Standard."

Edited by James