Big John w/ Lloyd Price

saw a TRIP-LP of previoussly issued recordings / one song, called lets get married or something with 'married' in it....was co-written by big john.----the lp was like 8.99 and today i was all theres no way im buying a trip lp-for 8 big ones, plus i dont even know if bjp is on teh other cuts-----what tracks am i looking for when wanting to her bjp with lloyd price? not the specialty stuff, right?>

saw a TRIP-LP of previoussly issued recordings / one song, called lets get married or something with 'married' in it....was co-written by big john.----the lp was like 8.99 and today i was all theres no way im buying a trip lp-for 8 big ones, plus i dont even know if bjp is on teh other cuts-----what tracks am i looking for when wanting to her bjp with lloyd price? not the specialty stuff, right?>

My recollection is that John is on Lloyd Price's big band lp that had his hit version of Misty on it. He also co-wrote and played on "Where Were You On Our Wedding Day" and others...I'm not sure of the rest. But that badass big-band version of Misty...that whole album is Big John on piano...

According to Leadbitter's blues records discography (which only lists Price up to 1959 - later records probably were considered too pop-whitewashed), John Patton was on several sessions, including the 19 April 1956 session that yielded "Country Boy Rock", "I'm Going Home" and "Heavy Dreams", on the 1958 session that produced "Stagger Lee" etc. (that had Ted Curson on tp, BTW) as well as (probably) on Lloyd Price's 1959 sessions.

• 4 weeks later...

My recollection is that John is on Lloyd Price's big band lp that had his hit version of Misty on it. He also co-wrote and played on "Where Were You On Our Wedding Day" and others...I'm not sure of the rest. But that badass big-band version of Misty...that whole album is Big John on piano...

Is that the LP called "This is my band" that was issued on Double L? Has a version of "Trouble" on it. Fred Jackson appears to play alto(!) to judge by the photo on the sleeve.

Didn't know Big John was on it.

MG

Soul Stream -- I realize this is off-thread, but thought you might be interested in knowing if you didn't already that Baby Face's cousin Bobby "Top Hat" Davis plays (bad) keyboards and drums and sings in Chicago; he had a handful of 45s issued including one ("Mole Skins") under the name of "Bobby Kool." He used to be a pretty good drummer and played with Otis Rush, Louis Myers, Jody Williams, Rosco Gordon and other well-known blues artists, and before that he lived in Houston and played bass with Albert Collins; they also lived in the same rooming house for awhile. He also played with Dallas bluesman Zuzu Bollin; there's a photo of their band from the early '50s. I was told Bobby was in the famous car wreck with Percy Mayfield but have never confirmed that. Supposedly Bobby took up keyboards because he wanted to "beat" Baby Face. Let's just say he's got a LONG way to go. I was also told that Baby Face's father was a tent show preacher with a wild show that left its mark on Baby Face.

Edited by rshurman

Soul Stream -- I realize this is off-thread, but thought you might be interested in knowing if you didn't already that Baby Face's cousin Bobby "Top Hat" Davis plays (bad) keyboards and drums and sings in Chicago; he had a handful of 45s issued including one ("Mole Skins") under the name of "Bobby Kool." He used to be a pretty good drummer and played with Otis Rush, Louis Myers, Jody Williams, Rosco Gordon and other well-known blues artists, and before that he lived in Houston and played bass with Albert Collins; they also lived in the same rooming house for awhile. He also played with Dallas bluesman Zuzu Bollin; there's a photo of their band from the early '50s. I was told Bobby was in the famous car wreck with Percy Mayfield but have never confirmed that. Supposedly Bobby took up keyboards because he wanted to "beat" Baby Face. Let's just say he's got a LONG way to go. I was also told that Baby Face's father was a tent show preacher with a wild show that left its mark on Baby Face.

while this sure is off-topic (here would have been a more natural fit, for instance

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...=16546&st=0 )

this sure is interesting enough to fit in any thread!

baby face cousin at play:

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=e9reLZRxGUo

and btw, here is a substitute link for peter fallico's baby face article, link in the other thread is broken...

http://web.archive.org/web/20041021041534/...s/Willette.html