Does anyone pay attention to the Olympic Games anymore?

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the precision and splendour of the Chinese host nation closing ceremony, this .. :bad:

olympics-bus3-460_795459c.jpg

Is it just me or was this 8-minute fiasco devised on the back of a cigarette packet in between pints by some 'trendy' London wannabees? London bus with blacked out chav windows - tick. Dancing hoodies - tick. Female singer who nobody knows miming with Jimmy Page - tick. Beckham with his ball - tick.

And that bl***dy logo !

Jeez...

Seems like we're still not out of that 'Cool Britannia' marketing plan.

These things inevitably work round stereotypical 'icons'...but...

Maybe they should have just played 'The Lark Ascending'!

Maybe they should have just played 'The Lark Ascending'!

Or brought on Chas 'n' Dave with a cockney singalong on the ol' joanna :lol:

(aka 'Oily Rags' for the non-Brit Oliver Nelson Flying Dutchman fans out there)

with%20Denise%20Van%20Outen%201998.jpg

The lads with Theresa Brewer -

Teresa.jpg

Don't know about Chas 'n' Dave, but wasn't that 'Pan's People' leaping around? Same ability to make you cringe!

Couldn't they find a more suitable song to play than Whole Lotta Love (or whatever Zep song that was; I've already forgotten)? Yeah, that embodies both Britain and the Olympics spirit. Was Peter Gabriel busy? Not necessarily British, but I told my wife that the one thing it lacked was strippers swinging from that bus.

Couldn't they find a more suitable song to play than Whole Lotta Love (or whatever Zep song that was; I've already forgotten)? Yeah, that embodies both Britain and the Olympics spirit. Was Peter Gabriel busy? Not necessarily British, but I told my wife that the one thing it lacked was strippers swinging from that bus.

How about the Beatles Why Don't We Do It in the Middle of the Road?

Catchy tune, I say.

In 1970, if you had predicted that 38 years later, Whole Lotta Love would be the song to usher in the next Olympic games, it would have seemed truly insane.

If they were going to play it at this closing ceremony, they should have had the reunited Led Zeppelin, with Bonham's son on drums, play it.

Wow. After seeing the Closing Ceremony, I'm thinkin' that maybe China should rule the world. :excited:

Not yet. ;)

But in all honesty, after seeing what a society looks like (even if it is at least somewhat staged) that by tradition (and we're talking millenia of tradition) gladly accepts a smaller gap between individual abandon and collective responsibility in the name of achieving the common good (even if that society currently is still too derelict in terms of the benevolent application of this paradigm relative to where it once was) & not look at all the idiots running around America (especially on the TV screens...) who are oblivious to the real responsibilities of freedom and the real need to serve the collective goodwill, people for whom it's all ME ME ME, and not think that these are our real enemies, our most clear and present danger.

The man said we would destroy ourself from within. The man might have been right.

Saw a nice text by one of our finest writer in Montreal, i'll try to translate it to the best of my very limited knowledge. The example given are local based but the spirit of it is international.

THE MIRACLE OF THE OLYMPIC GAMES.

For starters, they are kids , your kids who are playing. Some of those kids show a talent that makes them graduate to the elite. The best of those elites go to the Olympics. In entering the elite , your kids are substituting their angelic values of their beginnings to those more rigourous of hard work, of performing. When they do arrive to the Olympics they get into contact with once again new values, most of the time those values are of pretentious gradiloquence. And too often the become uninteresting little jerks , without any culture, without any outlook on life. Sometimes they become a SME : trainers, agent, manager, psychotherapist etc.

The miracle is that a few of them will go through all of it while still being true to their original nature. A Christine Girard, a Thomas Hall, the 8 guys who won the Gold in rowing, the young girls of synchronized swimming ... these people still allow us to still beleive in the Olympics. Thank You.

Well, thank you monsieur Pierre Foglia.

Here's the original text

LE MIRACLE DES JEUX — À la base il y a des enfants, vos enfants qui jouent. Certains de ces enfants montrent un talent qui les fait entrer dans l’élite. Les meilleurs de cette élite se retrouvent aux Jeux olympiques. En entrant dans l’élite, vos enfants substituent aux valeurs angéliques de leurs débuts, celles plus rigoureuses du travail, de la production de performances. En arrivant aux Jeux olympiques, ils se frottent à d’autres valeurs encore, la plupart bêtement grandiloquentes. Et souvent ils deviennent des petits cons sans intérêt, sans culture, sans perspective. Des fois ils deviennent des PME, entraîneurs, agent, manager, psychothérapeute, kiné.

Le miracle est que quelques-uns traversent tout cela sans se dénaturer. Une Christine Girard, un Thomas Hall, les garçons du huit de pointe qui ont gagné l’or au bassin d’aviron, les gamines de la nage synchro... ceux-là nous permettent encore d’y croire. Merci.

Edited by Van Basten II

The Olympic motto is higher, swifter, stronger and we certainly saw that in the summer of 2008.

Also this summer we see the first use of the word lovematism. It is found in this forum ....Train Of Lovematism (post 117) by JSngry

The bond of lovematism is universal. The intensity of the interaction strengthens the bond of lovers. Lovematism bonds and connects two lovers in a unified link of trust, intimacy and interdependence. Lovematism enhances the dimensions of relating attained through the mind, heart, body and soul connections. Lovematism encompasses the sexual magnetism of the body, the emotional rhythm of two hearts beating as one, the hypnotism of the minds, and the mysticism of the spirit. Lovematism enhances the context, depth, versatility, and complexity of the lovers’ relationship.

The bond of lovematism is like the firing of four pistons; the pistons are never all at the same height at the same time and if one is not working there is less energy available to fuel the synergy of the relationship.

Now who will put the word LOVEMATISM to music? Perfect for the jazz musicians to create!

The Olympic motto is higher, swifter, stronger and we certainly saw that in the summer of 2008.

Also this summer we see the first use of the word lovematism. It is found in this forum ....Train Of Lovematism (post 117) by JSngry

The bond of lovematism is universal. The intensity of the interaction strengthens the bond of lovers. Lovematism bonds and connects two lovers in a unified link of trust, intimacy and interdependence. Lovematism enhances the dimensions of relating attained through the mind, heart, body and soul connections. Lovematism encompasses the sexual magnetism of the body, the emotional rhythm of two hearts beating as one, the hypnotism of the minds, and the mysticism of the spirit. Lovematism enhances the context, depth, versatility, and complexity of the lovers’ relationship.

The bond of lovematism is like the firing of four pistons; the pistons are never all at the same height at the same time and if one is not working there is less energy available to fuel the synergy of the relationship.

Now who will put the word LOVEMATISM to music? Perfect for the jazz musicians to create!

Uhmmmm... what?

No, seriously... what???

Maybe it's just me, but I find this whole athletes biting on the gold medal (as an allusion to old ways of testing for gold apparently) quite distasteful. I've seen pictures of 4 or 5 Americans doing this. Is this unique to US athletes, or do other athletes do it too?

I believe it's in direct response to the gold-foiled chocolate "medals" given out four years ago in Athens. A lot of athletes were disappointed over that one, especially those from warmer climes!

Funnily i asked a friend (3 time medalist) this yesterday and he claims it was a response to journos and photographers asking that the winners do it. No other reason. I tell you what though, the medals are lovely. The Gold is inlaid with Opal on the reverse whilst the Bronze has a very tasteful jade inlay. Can't remember the Silver detail. The come in a very nice silk presentation box too!

Funnily i asked a friend (3 time medalist) this yesterday and he claims it was a response to journos and photographers asking that the winners do it. No other reason.

Weird, well I still don't like it, though it is a less offensive request than the Spanish basketball team went along with, but I won't go there.