Louis Armstrong quote

umum_cypher

Anyone got any ideas about this quote, which I need to track down, but can't find now .... he says words to the effect of, when I solo, in the first chorus I play the tune, in the second I embellish and in the third I do my routines.

(The only word I'm sure of is 'routines'. And I think he uses it as a verb, so I'm not even sure of that, exactly).

Haven't got any biogs to hand, but don't think I read it in one of them anyway. Any help appreciated greatly.

the way I remember it is more like "First I play the melody, then I routne it - then I routine the routine."

I can't remember where I read it either or IF I read it. It could have been in a broadcast interview.

You're saying 'routine' might be a noun and a verb? This is more complicated that I thought ...

the way I remember it is more like "First I play the melody, then I routne it - then I routine the routine."

I can't remember where I read it either or IF I read it. It could have been in a broadcast interview.

You're saying 'routine' might be a noun and a verb? This is more complicated that I thought ...

Yes -- as in "First I play the melody, then I vary it, then I vary the variation."

just a hunch, but I would check out either Gary Giddins' book or the bio by the British guys (Humphrey Littleton? can't remember) - or call the Louis Armstrong museum in Queens - the head librarian is a very nice and helpful guy -

or, better still, call Dan Morgenstern at Rutgers who knows all things related to Louis -

Edited by AllenLowe

The quote appears in Thomas Brothers's book, "Louis Armstrong's New Orleans" on page 292: "The first chorus I play the melody. The second chorus I plays the melody round the melody, and the third chorus I routines." Hope this helps!

Ricky Riccardi

dippermouth.blogspot.com

The quote appears in Thomas Brothers's book, "Louis Armstrong's New Orleans" on page 292: "The first chorus I play the melody. The second chorus I plays the melody round the melody, and the third chorus I routines." Hope this helps!

Ricky Riccardi

dippermouth.blogspot.com

Yesssssssssssssssss! Nice one Ricky.

Thanks everyone.

Tom