• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

MikeMainieriInsightonSolidState.jpg

And closer-up , showing the band inside the pupil :eye: :

Mike_Mainieri.jpg

Do you have this one? I have always been curious about it - I have the other Mainieri Solid State LP.

Like you , I've only got Journey Thru an Electric Tube , which IMO , is a record that in its best moments approaches Burton-Coryell territory , but one that , given the psych-rock vocalizing and fuzz guitar , I find that I'm not in the mood for all that often . Insight , being a quartet date , might cleave more closely to a Burton-Coryell dynamic and as such might be of greater interest to me , though I must admit to never really having been knocked out by Joe Beck's playing .

I had both records back in the day. Liked "Insight" better. The Burton/Coryell comparison is apt, it's a quartet date, while "Journey" is a mixed bag that works only partly.

After finally getting ahold of Insight I agree with you that it's the better album . While Journey Through An Electric Tube has its Duster-like moments , Insight is a lot closer in style to that great album , free as it is of the hippie lyrics and more rockish elements of Journey Through An Electric Tube . Thankfully , Joe Beck is not in his I-wanna-be-a-rock-guitar-hero mode , and plays concordantly throughout . The Australian bassist has a couple of Slam Stewart-like moments , but is otherwise fully integrated into the group sound . In sum , I'd recommend that fans of Gary Burton's late Sixties doings check out both Mainieri Solid States , with priority given to Insight .

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...