Tito Rodriguez Wins At Life!

JSngry

I like it.

Dude, Tito Rodriguez was a BAD MOTHERLCKUFER! Most folks know him for his boleros (not for nothing was he called "the Latin Sinatra"), but he was a total musician, and a total entertainer.

There's a cut of his from the '50s(?) called "Bilongo" that will rock damn near anybody's world. Trust me.

Edited by JSngry

There's a cut of his from the '50s(?) called "Bilongo" that will rock damn near anybody's world. Trust me.

Ok, I don't know well enough to say one way or the another, but I don't think that it's actually TR's song, he just recorded it (and damn well).

But found on YouTube, here's a totally beautiful video of the song performed by Compay Segundo, lifted from Cuban television. You gotta sit through some introductory B.S. but then...hey.

Tito Rodriguez was incredibly accomplished, a real all-'round musician - and by far my favorite from the era of Latin big bands in NYC. A lot of his music is available on emusic.com, too - really beautiful charts, playing, the works.

Dare I say it? OK, I will - much better than Tito Puente. (IMO.)

Tito Rodriguez was incredibly accomplished, a real all-'round musician - and by far my favorite from the era of Latin big bands in NYC. A lot of his music is available on emusic.com, too - really beautiful charts, playing, the works.

You have me curious! Do you have any recommendations for Tito Rodriguez recordings?

I was just listening to a Roberto Roena Y Su Apollo Sound Cd (the one with the great timbalero, Endel Dueno on the cover) when I stumbled on this posting. They covered a TR tune, "El Que Se Fue".

You're right about TR being mostly known as a ballad singer. His reliance on boleros probably will keep him a from being as revered in non-Latino circles as much as Machito or his archrival, Tito Puente. I like Beny More alot, but he's almost forgotten (Spanish Harlem Orch. did do a nice cover of "Mama Guela" a couple of years back.)

Thanks for bringing Tito Rodriguez name up.

You have me curious! Do you have any recommendations for Tito Rodriguez recordings?

Probably the best place to look for recs. is www.descarga.com

I downloaded a very nice comp from Emusic, titled Mambo Madness, that I'm planning on buying on disc (whenever I have $ for CDs again - might be a while!)

I may be in the minority on T. Rod vs. Tito Puente, too... but I'm sticking to my thoughts on this. (My tastes are just that! ;))

ptah, you might also want to do a search on the AAJ board, as LuckeyRaffy1925 (former member) has a lot of knowledge on T. Rod. and others. it's a shame that his posts are basically buried in the archives.

Edited by seeline

many/most of the vintage charts were by Rene Hernandez, right?

When you talk about great arrangers, there's a name that should be mentioned, but never is.

Do you have any recommendations for Tito Rodriguez recordings?

I recommend that everybody postpone that nex glass of water for a few minutes and spend the whopping sum of 89 cents to download "Bilongo" from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Bilongo/dp/B000W2NZ9Y

Great chart, great band, great singing, great....just great, period.

Kikiribu mandinga y'all! icon12.gificon12.gificon12.gificon12.gificon12.gificon12.gificon12.gificon12.gificon12.gificon12.gif

many/most of the vintage charts were by Rene Hernandez, right?

When you talk about great arrangers, there's a name that should be mentioned, but never is.

Sounds right, but I'd need to doublecheck. My brain is bit like Teflon these days. ;)

I think you've managed to miss the top-drawer T. Rod. sides - as you say, he recorded so much that it's easy to do.

I have lots of stuff by both of them. Which do you consider their best stuff? I'm sure I'm missing key albums.

EDIT: Did TR ever do anything as great as TP's Tambo on RCA, circa 1960? That album is AMAZING!!!

Edited by Teasing the Korean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MMfKfJzfNA

I wonder if this was from American TV?

Not with that dancer, not in a million years. Havana, maybe? Or Puerto Rico?

BTW, I remember watching Cuban league baseball games broadcast from Havana and picked by a local Chicago station in the year Castro took over. The atmosphere in the stands was something else.

I think you've managed to miss the top-drawer T. Rod. sides - as you say, he recorded so much that it's easy to do.

I have lots of stuff by both of them. Which do you consider their best stuff? I'm sure I'm missing key albums.

EDIT: Did TR ever do anything as great as TP's Tambo on RCA, circa 1960? That album is AMAZING!!!

You're asking the wrong person - check the recs on www.descarga.com

And I might as well admit it; I don't care much for a lot of TP's earlier albums - even Dance Mania left me cold when I 1st heard it. (at the time, i wondered if there was something wrong with me!)

Mambo Madness, which I mentioned in an earlier post here, is very nice. you can listen to a couple of cuts here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MMfKfJzfNA

I wonder if this was from American TV?

Not with that dancer, not in a million years. Havana, maybe? Or Puerto Rico?

He did have at least one regular TV gig in PR, so...

OTOH - here's the caption from that vid's YouTube page (bolding mine):

Tito Rodriguez toca timbales con su orquesta acompañando a la sensual Gilda Miros quien fuera personaje de la radio y TV en NY

And just for the record, Tito R. was Puerto Rican (as was TP).

Edited by seeline

The Puerto Rican TV gig was late 50s/very early 70s, and is, I presume, the source for the two color clips I've posted/ Rodriguez looks younger in the B&W clip, I think.

I'm thinking maybe local NY TV or something? The staging is more elaborate than the TR PR shows.

And I might as well admit it; I don't care much for a lot of TP's earlier albums - even Dance Mania left me cold when I 1st heard it. (at the time, i wondered if there was something wrong with me!)

Mambo Madness, which I mentioned in an earlier post here, is very nice. you can listen to a couple of cuts here.

You HAVE TO HEAR Tambo! It's KILLER!