What do you think/do about downloading out of print vinyl or in print

andybleaden

OK Let s see about MP3s and other downloady stuff  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

One disturbing implication of the limitless supply idea (which has been brought up a number of times) is the idea that, again speaking economically, it makes music "worthless," or at least approaching a state of almost no value. Here it's pretty much impossible for me to continue separating the ethical element -- the lived experience of music cannot be voided of value, can it?

Now this is an interesting point and one that I've been thinking about a lot lately. It does seem that the music itself has less and less intrinsic value, and the true value is (or maybe it's always been that way) in the medium itself: the vinyl record, the compact disc, the stuff that, especially when rare or oop, people pay big bucks for. Now that medium is the digital file, which, infinitely duplicatable, has no "real" value like a physical object.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What chaps my hide most is the Lonehills etc. putting out stuff that is not even allowable in the 50 year European law. And as a result? We're not likely to see legitimate issues of some material in the best possible sound and the best possible notes and hopefully artist compensation.

Counterfactual reasoning in this context is fallacious reasoning* . Moreover , even if the reasoning were sound , it wouldn't establish the desirability , let alone the necessity , of keeping decades-old music out of the public domain and in the hands of statutory monopolists . Historically , such statutory protection was intended to serve the interests of the public , not the copyright holders . Such is no longer the case , and we are poorer for it .

*To understand the nature of the fallacy involved , see here.

Chas, thanks. I just feel what I feel, that's the reality for me. I disagree with at least one of the conclusions above. I'm not preaching about it, just wish things were otherwise.

You disagree with a least one of my conclusions , but feel it would be "preaching" to point out which one and why it's erroneous ? Is this , along with your , "I just feel what I feel" , evidence of misology , or am I just being eristic ?

One disturbing implication of the limitless supply idea (which has been brought up a number of times) is the idea that, again speaking economically, it makes music "worthless," or at least approaching a state of almost no value. Here it's pretty much impossible for me to continue separating the ethical element -- the lived experience of music cannot be voided of value, can it?

Now this is an interesting point and one that I've been thinking about a lot lately. It does seem that the music itself has less and less intrinsic value, and the true value is (or maybe it's always been that way) in the medium itself: the vinyl record, the compact disc, the stuff that, especially when rare or oop, people pay big bucks for. Now that medium is the digital file, which, infinitely duplicatable, has no "real" value like a physical object.

I can see the upside to this, which is that music may again take on a communal nature where the performance is more important than the recording. In other words, it will get people to want to experience live music rather than horde the millionth re-issue of Kind Of Blue.

• 1 year later...

Interesting.....

Study shows music pirates buy more music

People who illegally download music from the internet also spend more money on music than anyone else, according to a new study. The survey, published today, found that those who admit illegally downloading music spent an average of £77 a year on music – £33 more than those who claim that they never download music dishonestly.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime...ll-1812776.html

Interesting.....

People who illegally download music from the internet also spend more money on music than anyone else, according to a new study. The survey, published today, found that those who admit illegally downloading music spent an average of £77 a year on music – £33 more than those who claim that they never download music dishonestly.

Hell, I must spend 77 (can't do that pounds thing here) per month - and even more lately! But yeah, per the study, that's been my experience as well.

Interesting.....

It's always been the case - they did surveys in the seventies which established that people who taped LPs off their friends or from a library spent a lot more on records than people who didn't. Surely this can't be a surprise to anyone? People who do this stuff are MUSIC fans. Them's the ones who fill their homes beyond capacity with records.

MG

I hear you, MG - it's the RIAA and other industry types who keep painting all downloaders as thieves. (Without even bothering to mention the many fully legal ways material can be downloaded, at that.)

The best music blogs are invariably run by people who are huge fans of whatever it is they're blogging about. Most of them have access to a lot of rare material only because they've made an effort to collect it.

The more I think about it, the more I conclude that (aside from supporting indie labels), it's much more ethical to spend $100 on music and download another $100-worth for free than to spent $10 and not download anything at all.

I'm not sure that's right - that ethics come into it. The person who spends $10 spends it the way he/she wants to in the light of circumstances. Same as the one who spends $100. And also the one who spends $1,000 and downloads $1,000; is that more ethical than spending $100?

MG