Vinyls you wish had been

Christiern

:lol: Having just stepped off the boat from Iceland, he was probably caught on tape waxing eloquent about the unique exquisite flavor of his first ever McDonald's cheeseburger .....and then carrying on and on about the fabulous autograph that he'd just received from Willard Scott in his new 'Ronald McDonald' costume. :P

• My e-mail setup was messed up when I switched to Panther (my fault), hence my delay in explaining what this disc is about.

When I was general manager of WBAI (Pacifica's NYC station), I received a call from a production company. Radio month was coming up, they reminded me, so they were preparing to record a series of short interviews for nationwide public service distribution--would I agree to be interviewed.

I did and they sent a crew to the station. The man who conducted the interview told me to call him Hugh, which I thought odd, because he had introduced himself using a different name.

They came, interviewed, and went away. I had forgotten about it until some time later when my secretary put a disc on my desk. I could not believe what I saw--much less what I heard. There had been no mention of the U.S. Army; if there had, I would not have agreed to the interview--you see, WBAI is a pacifist station, and here was its manager participating in a recruitment ad! There was not a hint of thiss in the actual interview and, of course, they had dubbed in the voice of Hugh Downs in place of the other guy (no wonder they taped so much room noise, "atmosphere"), so this was deceptive all around.

I wrote these people a letter of protest and I talked about this scam on the air--listeners were outraged, and rightly so.

BTW I am very pleased and impressed with the new "Panther" OS.

What I don't understand, Chris, is what you would have said that the Army would even find useful. What were the questions asked by this faux Hugh Downs, and did they give away what was going on?

Even as sneaky as the US Army may be, how could they possibly con you into saying things to make an Army Recruitment PSA out of?

Dan, I'll have to listen to the damn thing--painful as that will be--but, as I recall it, the interview was rather bland, with no mention of the military. They inserted an Army recruitment spot and the open and close was a chorus singing:

• Great Moments Can Be Yours...

...in the new Action Army!

Of course all that came as a complete surprise when I slipped the disc onto a turntable. Hiding the real intent wasn't obviously intentional.