Kenyon Hopkins Korner

Teasing the Korean

Guest Bill Barton

Interesting. I wasn't familiar with his name until now although I do recall the music from "The Hustler." After checking out an online discography (Kenyon Hopkins) I wondered if anyone knows whether the East Side/West Side score is for the TV series that starred George C. Scott, Cicely Tyson and Elizabeth Wilson (East Side/West Side) or for a film.

Edited by Bill Barton

Interesting. I wasn't familiar with his name until now although I do recall the music from "The Hustler." After checking out an online discography (Kenyon Hopkins) I wondered if anyone knows whether the East Side/West Side score is for the TV series that starred George C. Scott, Cicely Tyson and Elizabeth Wilson (East Side/West Side) or for a film.

It is indeed the "soundtrack" for that show. The quotes around "soundtrack" refer to the fact that TV "soundtrack" albums from that period could be very different from what was heard on the show. That said, Kenyon Hopkins did both the music for the TV show as well as the album, so I'm assuming there was at least some thematic consistency.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

"Shock" and "Panic" have been reissued as well:

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=wmyty47tsd&ref=browse.php&refQ=kwfilter%3Dshock%2Bpanic%26amp%3Bincl_oos%3D1%26amp%3Bincl_cs%3D1

A friend of mine told me that these used to be available through comic books and monster magazines!

Allen, did you ever dig up the info you had on Hopkins from your forthcoming 1950s jazz book?

I could see those caf-fiend jags of yours Shock and Panic right next to the Jack Davis Frankenstein door poster! :)

TTK, have you ever heard his OST of 'Mr. Buddwing"?

Absolutely essential. I found a nice lp copy that I need to digitize somehow and share.

I asked the folks at FSM about any re-issue plans of his work and was told it would be a licensing nightmare(?). All the cool work is on CTI and Columbia, I believe? 'East Side - West Side', 'The Reporter', 'Yellow Canary', 'Lonelyville' and 'Buddwing' would make a great Mosaic Select. I've heard most thru the fine folks out in the ethers.

TTK, have you ever heard his OST of 'Mr. Buddwing"?

Absolutely essential. I found a nice lp copy that I need to digitize somehow and share.

I asked the folks at FSM about any re-issue plans of his work and was told it would be a licensing nightmare(?). All the cool work is on CTI and Columbia, I believe? 'East Side - West Side', 'The Reporter', 'Yellow Canary', 'Lonelyville' and 'Buddwing' would make a great Mosaic Select. I've heard most thru the fine folks out in the ethers.

Yes, I love "Buddwing," maybe my favorite overall. Over the years I've found many of his best ones, but a few have eluded me.

Why would any one of those titles be any harder to license than anything else? I could see the problems with a box set. Yellow Canary and Buddwing are both on Verve - that would have been a nice twofer.

only took a few years, but finally pulled my '50s ms and found only this brief graf on Hopkins:

"The intelligence and brainy introspection of these new jazz compositional styles attracted attention in other quarters, with other types of artists who had not commonly collaborated with jazz and jazz musicians. The composer Kenyon Hopkins wrote the music for a dance piece called Rooms (choreographed by Anna Sokolow) and recorded it with Teo Macero on tenor saxophone. Hopkins, who would go on to write a number of movie soundtracks (like Lilith, This Property is Condemned, and Mr. Buddwing) was an interesting, adventurous, and cerebral composer. The episodic nature of the dance piece freed him up to depart from conventional ideas of thematic continuity and resolution, and gave Rooms a disconnected, existential, quality. Not strictly jazz, it made much more than indirect reference to it, and was a piece that, if not exactly jazz in format and expression, could not have been without jazz as precedent and inspiration. On the other hand, Rooms also drew from some ideas and forms that were quite foreign to the experience of the average jazz musician."

Edited by AllenLowe

• 8 years later...
5 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Found this today for $4.99. Don't think I'll like it, but it's worth a fin to find out!

R-7996755-1453151077-1060.jpeg.jpg

R-7996755-1453151090-9400.jpeg.jpg

Phil Woods playing Hawaiian music? This might even be worse than Greek Cooking!

No wonder he split for France. Kenyon used to use him on all his movie, TV and jingles work. 

On March 21, 2019 at 8:15 PM, JSngry said:

Don't know how "Hawaiian" it actually is...that's why I bought it, to find out.

These albums are fairly hard to find, in my experience.  I have two of them - France and Spain - and neither has received many repeat spins.  I think Hopkins was really collecting a paycheck on these.  I few of his Capitol albums fall into a similar category.