Looking for 2 Miles Davis singles (!)

dave9199

Does anyone have the following songs (they were both released only as singles in the mid-70's):

1. Molester Part 1/Molester Part 2 (1973 or 74)

2. Big Fun/Holly-wood (1974 or 75, Big Fun not on album of the same name)

Also looking for 1 Eric Dolphy song called Triple Mix. Thanks.

I think these tunes also appeared on a briefly available French LP in the 80s, perhaps called 'Isle Of Wight'. Side A was 'Call It Anythin'' from the Isle Of Wight Festival, side B was a bunch of otherwise unavailable singles ('Little Blue Frog' etc.)

I assume all these tunes will be in one of the Miles boxes, but which?

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

The LP is very rare because it had to be withdrawn soon after the release.

I have heard it and as far as I can remember those singles are only edits of material that has been released on official LPs from that time (On the Corner, Big fun). For completists only.

In reference to Claude (just Claude); in looking through the Chambers book, Milestones; it says about Molester that these have only shown up on a single (as far as known in 1985), and as for Big Fun/Holly-wood, it says nothing else. To the other Claude: could you give a track listing of Isle of Wight?

To Bertrand: Idon't think these will be on any box set as Columbia isn't doing anymore past Jack Johnson, year-wise. That's why I'm looking, I haven't seen them on any reissue. Thanks all!

The LP is very rare because it had to be withdrawn soon after the release.

I have heard it and as far as I can remember those singles are only edits of material that has been released on official LPs from that time (On the Corner, Big fun). For completists only.

Not really that soon. The album was widely available for quite a long time (at least a couple of years) after its release.

I have a copy and agree with the 'for completists only' appreciation!

Is either "Big Fun" or "Holly-Wood" the slightly "poppy" tune that shows up in the just-prior-to-retirement live shows that's not heard on any album nor is even remotely similar to anything on any of the albums? I've been wondering what that thing was.

Edited by JSngry

CALL IT ANYTHIN’ 17:29

Isle of Wight, England, August 29,1970

GREAT EXPECTATIONS 2:42

NYC, November 19,1969

THE LITTLE BLUE FROG 2:32

NYC, November 28,1969

MOLESTER (Part 1) 3:04

MOLESTER (Part 2) 2:10

both from NYC, July 2,1972

HOLLY-WUUD 2:52

BIG FUN 2:30

both from NYC, September 1973

CALL IT ANYTHIN’ comes from a three-record album entitled “The First Great Rock Festivals of the Seventies” which also featured various stars of Pop music and has never been re-issued since it was first published in 1971.

All titles from NYC were so far available on 45 rpm only.

To add to the confusion regarding the Miles Davis 'Isle of Wight' French CBS LP issue, Jan Lohman's 'Sound of Miles' discography indicates that the track listed as 'The Little Blue Frog' is in fact a 2m32s Miles Davis solo excerpt from the March 3, 1970 'Go Ahead John' version from the 'Big Fun' label. :rlol

The mistake is also mentioned in the Miles Ahead link that Gary posted.

a couple of quotes from the liner notes to the current "on the corner" cd (2000).

"Originally released on a 45-rpm single called "The Molester" (Co 4-45709), "Black Satin" was obviously influenced by Buckmaster ..."

"Teo would change the shape of the music with simple things ... creating a 45-rpm single that was edited from the master differently from the LP."

so ... i'm guessing molester is an alt mix/edit of black satin .... would still like to know what the other 2 tunes are ...

columbia has recently started a service called custom mix cd. currently only two artists have material available, bob dyaln and train (some current rock band i know nothing about). for the dylan stuff they offer a wide selection of album tracks and 12 rarities (mostly euro single b-sides, but some b-sides from old 45's that have not been issued on cd as far as i know). the deal is you can pick 12 tunes or 78 minutes of music (whichever happens first), pick an album cover, and they make the cd and send it to you for 15.99 plus s & h. this could be a way for columbia to get those single tracks out -- make a miles davis custom mix cd available and offer those singles as "rarities."

until then, how the hell can i get my hands on these tracks????

OK, so now all I need is Eric Dolphy's song Triple Mix. Does anyone have that? It was on an album called Naima which has some of the last recordings from 6/11/64 on it and the label is Jazzway (not West Wind who put out possibly the same cd without this track). Thanks!

Edited by dave9199

Is either "Big Fun" or "Holly-Wood" the slightly "poppy" tune that shows up in the just-prior-to-retirement live shows that's not heard on any album nor is even remotely similar to anything on any of the albums? I've been wondering what that thing was.

I stumbled accross the answer to your question in Paul Tingen's book Miles Beyond -

On July 26 the band went into the studio again, and the results were released on an obscure single , with Holly-wuud on one side & Big Fun on the other. The pieces are less than 3 minutes each, with a nondescript vamp & some fairly purposeless soloing by Miles. The tracks were little more than jams and were never played live.

Admitedly the tracks are not classic Miles , they have a nice groove & i feel this discrpition is a bit harsh.