How come I post here but not on AAJ?

dave9199

• 5 weeks later...

I have a lot of time so I hit all three of the boards. I've just started posting here.

I have a lot of friends at JC and at least for me, the software doesn't seem to be that slow probably because of my high speed business dsl line. I find that the music discussions there are way too dominated by discussions (at least to me) obscure AG players so I don't post much in that forum. I have a lot of fun in the Alley which IMHO is the most lively forum I hit.

AAJ seems to me to contain more about the players and music I enjoy but the folks there, and this is is a real generality, don't demonstrate much of a sense of humor.

So I'll be dropping in here to see what gives.

I think it's wonderful to have three jazz sites to hand out in.

I do most of my posts at AAJ, and think JC is OK too, but it's so slow I find myself spending less time there. Here, the dominance (almost) of political threads used to irritate me - now I think the balance is better - probably because the war in Iraq is (in a way) over and there still are some time to go before the US will vote for a new pres. What other people find the strength of this board (concentration of sixties/Blue Note-music) to me is a weekness - I think this board musically is more predictable than AAJ. I find AAJ more open. Someone said Org was like a community. That's not necessarily a good thing, small communities can be exclusive to people not fitting the pattern.

On the other hand, this board has a few posters seldom appearing at AAJ who are worth following, like JSngry.

I agree, there is a greater sense of community here, but are we not the posters who create this sense of community?

We are, so why not bring that to AAJ rather than shun that site and critique it for not having us there? I think both sites--and JC, too--should be supported by us through regular visits. Not enough music dialogue? Ok, so start one, contribute to one, be there as well as here.

playing the devil's advocate on Chris's call for action, I'd say that most of us do not have the time to engage in similar discussions with the same people on different boards. On OrgBB we all know each other and know when who's pulling what leg and maybe even why. On AAJ, there is a different vibe that needs getting accustomed to. That means time, hassle, annoyance, and what have you. Why go out and help others setting up a better clubhouse with all the hits on the thumbs that go with that if you're already a member in the best one there is, have earned a nice comfy chair and footstool there, and do not have the time to be too philantropic?

I would love to participate on AAJ, but sadly only have time for one BB. And OrgBB is it. I've tried to keep up with both, but my BB habit of trying to keep up with most (I won't say all, but bets that goes for many on this BB) of what's being written forbids that.