LOOKING FOR: The Sun Blues Years

AllenLowe

I bought one in Paris for $30 about 10 years ago. :)

As I recall, there were legal problems and Charly withdrew the CD set from the market shortly after it was released. Somehow, about 100 of them turned up in Virgin Megastore in Paris for $30 a pop. I am now kicking myself that I didn't buy several of them.

I don't want to part with mine, but if there are some specific tracks that you need from the set in MP3 form, I might be able to help.

thanks, it's ok, I have the LPs so that will suffice - just wanted to have a more compact set of it - forget about Roots and Rhythm, unfortunately - I was wholesaling them CDs about 7 or 8 years ago, and they burned me to the tune of $1500 -

Too bad about R & R; ouch. Actually, the CD set is LESS compact than the LPs. For some reason, the clever folks at Charly put the CDs in an oversized box that's too big to interfile even with 12" packages.

The CD box is also quite different than the LP box. Other than the more celebrated recordings, which are duplicated on both boxes, they made a deliberate attempt to create a CD box that would interest people who already had the LP box. The use different songs or different takes in many cases. There is also more music.

That said, the LP box is probably better. There was a reason why they made the choice of music that they did in the first place.

The use different songs or different takes in many cases. There is also more music.
´

Honestly, with the reissues of those Sun recordings in various guises through the years IMHO they' ve really overdone the "different takes" bit, especially since a lot of alternate takes had already been recirculated several times thorough various reissue series ever since the late 70s when they first started.

Really new (apparently formerly unissued) SONGS are fine, of course (even if not always essential), but that outtake stuff really is something for the 200% completists only.

Does the Complete Sun on Bear Family include much of that?

I doubt it.

At any rate, what kind of "Complete Sun" are you referring to?

It's pretty hard keeping track of what Bear Family reissues these days, but the "only" Various Artist compilations devoted to Sun that I can find in their latest catalog of their OWN releases are

- a Sun Gospel set (not what you want)

- a "Women of Sun" SIX-CD set (not what you are looking for either)

plus

- SIX 4-CD volumes of "THE SUN SINGLES" - but where would this leave you with all the alternates and unisued tracks, and in fact only the first of those 4-CD set includs a sizable amount of R&B. After that those (chronological) sets cover rockabillly, Western bop and mainstream r'n'r.