Joe Henderson (Tenor Sax)

Frank Foster (Tenor Sax)

Clifford Jordan (Tenor Sax)

John Gilmore (Tenor Sax)

Benny Powell (Trombone)

Date: September 25, (Year Unknown).

Date: 9/25/1966

Label: [no known recording]

Benny Powell (ldr), Roland Alexander, George Coleman, Junior Cook, John Gilmore, Jimmy Heath, Joe Henderson, Hank Mobley (ts), Benny Powell (tb)

a. [unknown titles]

A memorial salute to Lester Young will be held at the Club Ruby in Jamaica, NY, Sept. 25. The concert features tenor saxophonists Roland Alexander, George Coleman, Junior Cook, John Gilmore, Jimmy Heath, Joe Henderson, Clifford Jordan, and Hank Mobley, two rhythm sections, and trombonist Benny Powell, whose Ben-Gee Enterprises is producing the event...[DB: 6 October 1966 (vol. 33 no. 20), p.12].

http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Artists/Hen...eHenderson.html

bullshit, dude i talked to stormin' norman, for like 90 minutes on the phone in the early 90s and he told me all about his mobley releated jazz flyers he has from the years. THAT was one of them. this concert REALLY happend. maybe not the whole board can see it cause its not in the artists or misc. forum. i am telling you this really took place. george coleman and jimmy heath are alive. frank foster is too. can any of you write them a letter and ask them aobut it. this really happened u guys!

bullshit, dude i talked to stormin' norman, for like 90 minutes on the phone in the early 90s and he told me all about his mobley releated jazz flyers he has from the years. THAT was one of them. this concert REALLY happend. maybe not the whole board can see it cause its not in the artists or misc. forum. i am telling you this really took place. george coleman and jimmy heath are alive. frank foster is too. can any of you write them a letter and ask them aobut it. this really happened u guys!

I spoke to Jimmy via email and he told me he did a lot of shows of this nature in NYC and doesn't remember anything that stands out from this particular gig.

I talked to him at length about other things a couple months ago and he's got a good memory so maybe this show wasn't as memorable in person as it appears to be on paper??

Mark~

These were an annual event for a few years and there was an annual trumpet one as well.

One of the trumpet concerts came out as a Trip LP in the '70s and it was reissued by Fresh Sound a few years ago.

I was asked to listen to it to identify the soloists and write the liner notes and I spoke to Jim Harrison who was one of the producers of these events. He gave me fliers to a lot of the shows (one was used for the cover of the Fresh Sound issue). I have these scanned but I've never been able to figure out how to upload anything here (I'm not good at that sort of thing). If someone can walk me through it or if someone is willing to do it for me (I can e-mail them) I'll be happy to post them or let them be posted.

David, you might want to open a free Flickr account.

You can easily upload them there and they will be automatically resized and stored in various sizes for uploading for other uses including your own website or blog.

You can see my Flickr page here: Marcello's Flickr page

Edited by marcello

Chewy, you might want to open a JAZZMOBILE thread for those with fond memories ansd about current concerts.

Briefly the Jazzmobile takes the music to the streets (on a old beer float) in the NYC area, but they used to go on a short tour of Upstate and Western New York cities in August.

424608110_cf32439bd6.jpg

When it rained, they found a place inside:

3017549920_a1f0090454.jpg

Edited by marcello

• 3 weeks later...