Buddy Stewart

Victor Christensen

But old enough to remember VC.

Welcome back....hvad fanden blev der af dig?*

*What the hell happened to you?

Vic,

What Chris said. I mentioned you the other day in another thread. Specifically, a recommendation of one of your favorites, Bent Jaedig. It would be difficult to forget the guidance you provided when I first dipped my toe into the waters of the Scandanavian jazz scene. Some of the most fun I've had in jazz was hearing artists like Jan Johansson, Nils Lundgren, Arne Domnerus or Putte Wickman for the first time. Here's hoping we'll hear from you more often. You're a good guy and you've been around the jazz block enough times to add to the conversation.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Coming back to your original question, Victor:

I do remember Buddy Stewart (and have some of his recordings on various LPs too), though he was dead a good many years by the time I was born (so I would qualify as being far too young too ;)) - BUT:

That question in your first post is impossible to answer as long as nobody knows what exactly you've got on that home-burnt CD you say you've got. I've noticed vocals by him cropping up on LP (re)issues of airshots by name bands here and there, but if nobody knows what gaps you need to have filled, where do we start?

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Greeting to you all for your nice answers, here is a list of what I have with Buddy Stewart alone and together with

Dave Lambert:

1) What's This - Stewart and Lambert with Gene Krupa's Band.

2) Hot Halavah and In The Merry Land Of Bop - Stewart and Lambert with Blossom Dearie, Allan Eager, Gerry Mulligan,

Benny Green, Al Haig, Clyde Lombardi, Charlie Perry.

4) Shawn - Stewart with Eddie Bert, Wardell Gray, Buddy Greco, Clyde Lombardi, Sonnu Igoe.

5) Hot Havalah and Bopelground - Stewart with Kai Winding, Al Epstein, Al Haig, Clyde Lombardi, Charlie Perry.

7) Cherokee - Stewart with Teddy Edwards, Erroll Garner, John Simmons, Chuck Thompson.

8) Bebop Spoken Here - Stewart and Lambert with Charlie Barnet's Band.

9) Knockout - Stewart with Kai Winding, Brew Moore, Gerry Mulligan, Jerry Floyd, George Wallington, Curley Russell, Charlie

Perry.

10) Just You, Just Me, Synthesis, Perdido, How High The Moon, Pennies From Heaven.

All With Charlie Ventura, Kai Winding, Lou Stein, Bob Carter, Shelly Manne.

All the above burned to me by my good friend BeBop.

I furthermore have:

Deedle, What's This, Royal Roost Bop, Cheryl - Stewart and Lambert with Charlie Parker, Live From Royal Roost

Hurry Home - Stewart with Charlie Parker, Live From Royal Roost.

Synthesis, Soothe Me, Pennies From Heaven, Eleven Sixty, East Of Suez, Baby, Baby All The Time.

All with Stewart and Charlie Ventura's Band.

A lot of Greetings to you all, I will try to post more in the future.

Then Finally a little information, but sadly enough only for them who can read Danish (Like Chris).

Yesterday came out a book about The Old "Jazzhus Montmartre", it has been underway now for 5 years.

A real Coffee Table Book, I spend a couple of hours Yesterday with the former owner Herluf Kamp Larsen,

he has just turned 89, great guy, I have know him for almost 5o years.

Then Finally a little information, but sadly enough only for them who can read Danish (Like Chris).

Yesterday came out a book about The Old "Jazzhus Montmartre", it has been underway now for 5 years.

A real Coffee Table Book,

Sounds very interesting!

Got any more detailed info? (Website, buying sources, ISBN, etc.)

I guess if I can work my way through 30-odd years of Orkester Journalen and 25 years of Estrad as well as through "Gata Regerings 74" and "Göteborgsjazz" I should be able to cope sufficiently with Danish too. ;)

Mange tak!

As for your Buddy Stewart list, I think you've got the ground covered pretty well with what's around. Will check and compare with what else might be buried among airshot recordings, though.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

10) Just You, Just Me, Synthesis, Perdido, How High The Moon, Pennies From Heaven.

Synthesis, Soothe Me, Pennies From Heaven, Eleven Sixty, East Of Suez, Baby, Baby All The Time.

All with Stewart and Charlie Ventura's Band.

I have an LP from 1976 (Zim records 1004) of an airshot of Charlie Venura's band with this line up, and most of these tunes (no "Soothe Me" or "Baby All The Time", but other titles appear on the record).

The record is called Charlie Ventura Sextet In Chicago- 1947, and the liner notes admit that it's not clear what the exact date was, guessing summer or autumn of '47. I've looked for a CD reissue of this or other Ventura/Stewart recordings, but so far I've come up empty.

A real Coffee Table Book,

Sounds very interesting!

Got any more detailed info? (Website, buying sources, ISBN, etc.)

I guess if I can work my way through 30-odd years of Orkester Journalen and 25 years of Estrad as well as through "Gata Regerings 74" and "Göteborgsjazz" I should be able to cope sufficiently with Danish too. ;)

Mange tak!

As for your Buddy Stewart list, I think you've got the ground covered pretty well with what's around. Will check and compare with what else might be buried among airshot recordings, though.

......:

1) What's This - Stewart and Lambert with Gene Krupa's Band.

2) Hot Halavah and In The Merry Land Of Bop - Stewart and Lambert with Blossom Dearie, Allan Eager, Gerry Mulligan,

Benny Green, Al Haig, Clyde Lombardi, Charlie Perry.

4) Shawn - Stewart with Eddie Bert, Wardell Gray, Buddy Greco, Clyde Lombardi, Sonnu Igoe.

5) Hot Havalah and Bopelground - Stewart with Kai Winding, Al Epstein, Al Haig, Clyde Lombardi, Charlie Perry.

7) Cherokee - Stewart with Teddy Edwards, Erroll Garner, John Simmons, Chuck Thompson.

8) Bebop Spoken Here - Stewart and Lambert with Charlie Barnet's Band.

9) Knockout - Stewart with Kai Winding, Brew Moore, Gerry Mulligan, Jerry Floyd, George Wallington, Curley Russell, Charlie

Perry.

only a little correction to number 7) of your list. it´s not buddy steward scatting "cherokee" but dave lambert alone.

there is also a fine early bebop session on the keynote label by dave lambert and buddy stewart with red rodney´s be-boppers from november 1946: "a cent and a half", "perdido", "charge account" and "gussie "g."" with various alternative takes.

i try to find a photo of buddy steward on the net but with no result. so here is a link to a famouse one that was taken at the birdland benefit for buddy steward who was killed at age 27 in an automobile accident. he was a fine singer!!

http://www.birdlives.co.uk/component/optio.../key,102/hit,1/

keep boppin´

marcel

• 1 month later...