KENNY GARRETT - Sketches Of MD: Live At The Iridium (Mack Avenue)

JSngry

Ok, this thing starts off HOT, as Garrett gets into some overtone/harmonics stuff that is similar to Trane on Transition in timbre/shape, but not in actual vocabulary. Fascinating, gripping in its uniqueness, and quite intense.

But then, little by little, the whole thing devolves, ending up in a final audience-participation "c'mon c'mon c'mon WHAT, c'mon c'mon c'mon WHAT, etc." type thing that in no way other than personal choice precludes playing that is in the vein of that opening cut. Garrett & Co. make that choice however, and I challenge them to justify it, either here, there, or in the snow, white, yellow, or otherwise.

I saw Kenny Garrett on BET what seems like 50 years ago playing people/groove music and deeply intense saxophone all on the same tune. I used to think that there was some label pressure for him not to do so on his records, but this is a new label for him. Either he has Abusive Spouse Syndrome when it comes to choosing labels, or else...something.

But that first cut, hey - if you can find it as a standalone download (hopefully legal), then go for it. Because that's the shit right there.

Yeah, well, the trick's on him because me, I can just listen to it once, throw it out, and that's that. Him, hey, he's got to walk by the trash heap and wonder why his new record is all over it.

I mean, "Happy People", yeah, I'm all for that, much more than "Unhappy People" ya' know? But damn dude, give me something to be happy about, don't make me think that I'm supposed to be happy just because. Because I can do that on my own if/when I feel like it, I don't need you to suggest or otherwise attempt to create that reality for me. I don't need Kenny Garrett to be Happy Jim Sangrey, dig? But what Kenny Garrett can do is quite the bullshit and tell the truth. Then there would be a More Happy Jim Sangrey/Happy People, and then everybody's game would be elevated. I don't mind dancing and clapping my hands to the truth. In fact, that's the only way I will dance and clap my hands, thank you very much. If I'm going to succumb to bullshit, it's going to be on my terms, nobody else's, because that's the only way I know for sure what I'm getting.

Kenny Garrett would probably tell me to kiss his ass. Fair enough. He's entitled, and then some. In return, I say with equal sincerity and entitlement that somebody needs to slap some sense into this motherfucker and get his ass back on the real side full time instead of just as a fluffer.

Where the hell is Miles when you need him?

I saw Garrett maybe ten years ago or more, with Reginald Veal and Tain Watts, and it was like Jim described, "people/groove music and deeply intense saxophone." They were grooving very hard and there was no faking (not that I could tell, anyway). Loved it. This would have been pre-"Happy People," I think. Subsequent records have not lived up to that night.

I mean, I've dug Kenny Garrett from the git-go, and a lot of people I usually align with have not been there with me. So it's not like I dis the guy just because I think he's a Rickyteer or anything. He definitely has a voice in a music where that's the name of the game and in an environ where people been changing the rules of the game to make that not matter any more. And it's been a strong, distinctive voice.

But DAMN dude, at this point, either bring it with you or else just stay home. Either that or play ballads all the time, all smooth and shit, but with substance. That could work in a lot of ways. Anything besides bullshit.

There's a song on Tain's "Detained", a live recording at the Blue Note, where after a too long solo by Garrett, you can hear Tain bashing his crash cymbal as a message to "stop already!"

I meant to ask Jeff about that a couple of weeks ago, but were we got "detained" by a crazy drunk and things went left.

What really bugs me about the audience sing-along thing is that it's just not that groovy. Hey - I've played joints where that kinda thing goes on 3-4 times per set, and when the vibe is right, it's cool. But the way that these guys do it, it's just not very groovy, so it comes off as really....not groovy.

CARDINAL SIN!!!

Edited by JSngry

After really enjoying several of his late 90s albums I was really disappointed by a London concert around 2000 - he did the singing with headpiece thing there. A year later I saw him at the Iridium in New York and was just as underwhelmed. Nothing I've heard on radio or read has rekindled an interest. A pity because the late 90s records were wonderful.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

I love Kenny Garrett, but I feel underwhelmed a bit by the record, especially b/c when compared to the live shows I have of him circa 1996 with Pat, Nat Reeves, Brian Blade which are smoking. That said, "The Ring" is great, I love how Kenny explores those overtones and harmonics as Jim stated. Still I don't think this record touches "Beyond the Wall" or "Standard of Language". It would have been great if "Sketches" was a double album, as they did play "Beyond the Wall" tunes live, but I can enjoy it for what it is, and hey it gets more Pharoah out there :)

Guest youmustbe

In one of my rare appearances when it's not my booking, I went to hear Kenny at the Iridium. I book bands into the Iridium and it was Kenny's birthday and I've known him since he was with Miles and he was on one of my records etc.

Didn't expect much or get it but I loved it. Precisely because it was bullshit! He just plays the same solo he played with Miles on Human Nature for 5 years! And he doesn't give a shit. I could have done without his 10 minute electric piano solo confined to one octave, but the Spanish tourists, the lifeblood of jazz clubs in NY, loved it.

And when he went into Happy People they just about pissed in in their pant/skirts, they were so happy to be in NY, in the 21st Century, on Broadway, and to be able to tell folks back home that they heard jazz!!! And have the cell phone photos to prove it!!!

I agree, this record just falls flat after the first song which is incredible and a must hear/download. It's not so much that nothing can match the first track which would be understandable its that the rest of the record just isn't good.

If he is trying to do a groove jam thing that his heart is into then he needs to listen the last live Chris Potter. Of course Potter has an exceptional band to pull it off.

we can be thankful that when Kenny's done funky things like "Simply Said" (which DOES have 2 blatantly smooth cuts) and "Happy People" it has more taste than insipid lame shit like Kim Waters.. barf. When I picked up Grover's "Soul Box" a few weeks back at Circuit City after the heads up here. A woman in front of me was in line with 2 of Kim Waters' albums, "Soul Box" might be too smooth for some (hence why CC has it, they hardly have any straight ahead) but that album has more substantial playing then anything Waters has released. I was curious and checked out sound clips, dreadful stuff. All these cats sound like Sanborn or Grover with no distinguishing characteristics.

Edited by CJ Shearn