Anyone like Jeff Beck?

jrbassman712

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

To me the guy is a god and I just don't get some of the criticism here but to each his own I suppose. I've seen him in concert twice and am seeing him in mid June here in NJ. Can't wait. The Ronnie Scott album shows his awesome powers at their finest (I suppose no one will say I'm a spammer dry.gif ) and can't wait to pick up his new one.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

JeffBeck-LiveatBBKingBluesClub.jpg

Jeff Beck - Live at B.B. King Blues Club

This has always elusive for me, it was mail order only, then later as an expensive import only...suddenly it shows up in the store as a domestic release a few days ago. Terry Bozzio on drums, I think.

Finally.

an extremely talented musician with a markedly flawed personality, imo. beck was my "guitar god" when i was a teenager, and vastly superior to jimmy page et. al i thought. the trouble i have with most of his music over the last 20 years or so is that he seems to be stuck in the fusion-ethic of the 70s, most notably in the instrumentation and the emphasis on technique over emotion of bandmates. i think he's best when he's contributing to other people's work, a context that apparently helps keeps his inflated ego in check. i still consider the first jeff beck group album with rod stewart to be one of the greatest recordings of all time, and i would love to see him perform and record more soulful music with a less flashy band that would complement the beauty and warmth of his guitar playing.

I hear you---but he didn't last long as a teen god with me. For one thing I heard Buzzy Feitin, and had already heard Wes Montgomery. Charlie Christian would come a few short years later---and gone...

Beck had---and has lyricism, and a unique and beautiful sound---I never would take that away. But as a guitar player myself he never really settled into the time, or maybe that's a recent development. My main problem with Beck, though, is he's too much of a 'trickster', at the cost of musicality: up and down the neck. That's musical tripe you'd never catch B.B. King, or even the white Brits, dead doing. Peter Green play up and down the neck shallow stuff? Never. Too much of a pure artist and soul. Maybe if Beck had gotten grabbed by Mayall somewhere along the line, who knows? You couldn't play any old BS in that band, I'd wager.

But when he wants to he can touch souls, Jeff Beck can. He's pretty unique. And I admire anyone who makes a living with the guitar, sans vocals. I wish he'd forget that other nonsense, is all....

Youi may have noticed, BTW, I'm not God (neither is Clapton---hate to break it to you aging hippies :winky: ). In other words, my opinion, nothing more.

Edited by fasstrack

JeffBeck-LiveatBBKingBluesClub.jpg

Jeff Beck - Live at B.B. King Blues Club

This has always elusive for me, it was mail order only, then later as an expensive import only...suddenly it shows up in the store as a domestic release a few days ago. Terry Bozzio on drums, I think.

Finally.

I saw this in a local indie store (the only local indie store left) this weekend too, but wasn't sure what it was. I wasn't even aware of it.

Any good?

I think it's great, I heard this band play here in NJ just before this show. The last time I heard El Bfefck play, I think.

No bass player...it's interesting how he's had a bunch of different line ups in the past 12 years and keeps releasing live albums to document them.

Latest news, is his new trio with Rhonda Smith and drummer Veronica Bellino. I don't know too much more and who knows if it'll last.