Rolf & Joachim Kuhn - IMPRESSIONS OF NEW YORK

Brandon Burke

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to the generosity of a member here (and one in this thread), I finally got a chance to hear this recording. I'm glad I did! This is music I'll be returning to. First some details:

Impressions of New York

Rolf Kuhn: clarinet

Joachim Kuhn: piano

Jimmy Garrison: bass

Aldo Romano: drums

recorded 1967 for Impulse!

Some initial impressions, at random:

• I wonder what Jimmy Giuffre thought of this album. Kuhn's not working in the same vein that Giuffre did in the early 60's, but he's certainly "looking forward" here. Though I hope it was, I can imagine this album being not-so-well-received at the time of its release. Still, I'd say that, if only for a moment, it carves out its distinct little niche in improvised music from the late 60's, and does so with intelligence, authenticity, and a dedication to remaining listenable. This is my first exposure to either Kuhns playing, but I'm an instant fan — even if this particular recording was a one-off. Rolf Kuhn, to me, sounds like a more articulate version of Perry Robinson — which is not to disrespect Robinson at all; he's one of my favorite clarinetists — with a solid coloratura range, and strong sense of rhthym.

• Joachim Kuhn's playing here strikes me as a sort of hybrid of Don Friedman and Cecil Taylor. Very nice indeed. And, thinking on the hybrid track, Aldo Romano's playing on this particular session strikes me as a combination of Sunny Murray and Elvin Jones: the swing and thunder of Jones with the occasional pulse work of Murray. Again, nice indeed. Jimmy Garrison sometimes seems the odd man out, but acquits himself admirably, as he almost always does.

• The "Impressions of New York" in question here certainly don't share, say, Woody Allen's vision of New York — what a relief! (And I'm a huge fan of Woody Allen.) No, these impressions, and the titles that accompany them ("Arrival," "The Saddest Day," "Reality," "Predictions") speak to something darker, and far less nostalgic. The suite seems to take on a new dimension in light of the titles it bears.

I might have to disagree with one of Brandon's comments that started this thread. I think people would buy this album if it were reissued on disc. I certainly would. And I think many here (and at Bagatellen, Jazz Corner, etc.) would too! We can only hope that the Japanese market sees fit to eventually release this one. It would be a nice surprise to fans of this music.

What does the cover look like?

I might have to disagree with one of Brandon's comments that started this thread. I think people would buy this album if it were reissued on disc. I certainly would. And I think many here (and at Bagatellen, Jazz Corner, etc.) would too! We can only hope that the Japanese market sees fit to eventually release this one. It would be a nice surprise to fans of this music.

I hear what you're saying but, honestly, how many people go into a CD shop and make a b-line to the Rolf and/or Joachim Kuhn section? That's the bottom line. As far as I'm concerned, it would take the initiative of a reissue label doing it 'for the music' and, unfortunately, there are only so many of them out there. And even THOSE companies tend to ride the coatails of current trends (ESP, BYG, funk jazz, etc.). That was my initial point.

I hear you, Brandon. I think we're on the same page here. My only guess is that the admittedly already small market that supports this kind of music would enjoy it, and, I can only assume, purchase a copy were one available. The point's probably moot, however, because I too don't forsee its reissue any time soon, but at least there's a little enclave, right here, that can dig into the sounds of this (unfairly) obscure record.

Curious to hear what other people think of this one, or if you hear different "hybrids" than those I described above.