good riddance to record stores ?

michel1969

What file format(s) are Gimell and Chandos using for "lossless"?

FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) really does sound better to my middle-aged ears, but the files are very large - the exact reason why most people stick with MP3s. (FLAC files supposedly aren't "lossy.")

I would *love* if download outfits would offer the choice of:

1. MP3 (anywhere from 192 k to 320 k)

2. FLAC

3. Ogg (maybe)

+ liners and artwork.

But then, I've always been something of a dreamer. ;)

Edited by seeline

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the classical sites I mentioned are offering an option of what they call 'lossless' files. I don't really understand where 'loseless' fits in the grand spectrum of audiophilia but have seen this regularly mentioned in the classical magazines as 'near-CD quality' or even 'better than CD quality'.

Lossless = no information is removed from the audio stream. "identical information" can't result in "better quality". :wacko:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAC

I was replying to Bev's comments about not being able to tell the difference between MP3s encoded at high bitrates vs. low bitrates; plus the material he posted above re. various file formats used by Chandos and Gimmell. :) (Link.)

The other part of this (again, in reply to Bev) is that the quality of the source material is pretty important. I have some things as 128 k MP3s, and I doubt they'd sound much better if they'd been ripped at a higher bitrate, let alone in WAV or FLAC.

Edited by seeline

Some of us like surface noise :lol:

You've just given me a million dollar idea. It'll be an attachment for the iPod with a loop of surface noise and some random crackles that mixes in with your mp3s. Maybe I could make it skip every now and again and I'll have to add a little bit of distortion every 20 minutes or so to simulate innergroove mistracking. Even better, I could use the motion sensor in the iPhone so you have to physically flip it over every 20 minutes. ;)

Some of us like surface noise :lol:

You've just given me a million dollar idea. It'll be an attachment for the iPod with a loop of surface noise and some random crackles that mixes in with your mp3s. Maybe I could make it skip every now and again and I'll have to add a little bit of distortion every 20 minutes or so to simulate innergroove mistracking. Even better, I could use the motion sensor in the iPhone so you have to physically flip it over every 20 minutes. ;)

Any chance of an off-centre spindle hole option. I love that feeling like being at sea when the music shifts a fraction of an interval at every revolution of the turntable. Could set the iPod to 'Wow!'.

In all seriousness, can I just tell you all about the SPLITTING HEADACHE I have from a visit tonight to my local record store, where the speakers above the bins are aimed right at your ears and cranked to 11? After about ten minutes, I almost left empty handed because I just wanted some silence and couldn't even think of what it was I was looking for anymore. The funny thing is, it wasn't even music I'd expect to be that loud, like some metal or hip-hop. It was some kinda wimpy folksy indie rock.

Good riddance to that anyway.

In all seriousness, can I just tell you all about the SPLITTING HEADACHE I have from a visit tonight to my local record store, where the speakers above the bins are aimed right at your ears and cranked to 11? After about ten minutes, I almost left empty handed because I just wanted some silence and couldn't even think of what it was I was looking for anymore. The funny thing is, it wasn't even music I'd expect to be that loud, like some metal or hip-hop. It was some kinda wimpy folksy indie rock.

Good riddance to that anyway.

The store I went to tonight had Miles Davis' "Workin'" album on at a low volume.

Does anyone else find it a trifle strange that there's a thread titled "Good riddance to record stores" in topic titled "The Vinyl Frontier"?

Hmm. The honourable master Michel with a link to an article the thread started. Master Michel wise and faitfhul is, he warned us. The author of the article clearly to the dark side of the force converted he was.

Digital is the path to the dark side. Digital leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

With the cd you start, then an iPod and the downloading and at the end yourself you will lose. Pulverize planets and records stores you will do.

If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

The followers of the dark side everywhere are, even in the vinyl forum they are.

The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is.

yoda-400x300.jpg

Edited by porcy62

I recently did a day trip to boston/cambridge. in eight hours, I hit:

cambridge: planet records, newbury comics (harvard square), stereojacks, twisted village, looney tunes, and cheapo records. avoided in your ear. had a short conversation with stereojack.

boston: newbury comics on newbury street and looney tunes on boylston.

can't say what hurt more-my head or my wallet

Does anyone else find it a trifle strange that there's a thread titled "Good riddance to record stores" in topic titled "The Vinyl Frontier"?

Hmm. The honourable master Michel with a link to an article the thread started. Master Michel wise and faitfhul is, he warned us. The author of the article clearly to the dark side of the force converted he was.

Digital is the path to the dark side. Digital leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

With the cd you start, then an iPod and the downloading and at the end yourself you will lose. Pulverize planets and records stores you will do.

If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

The followers of the dark side everywhere are, even in the vinyl forum they are.

The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is.

yoda-400x300.jpg

That just might be the post of the year right there. :rofl: