World's Oldest Stash

jazzbo

World's oldest marijuana stash totally busted

Two pounds of still-green weed found in a 2,700-year-old Gobi Desert grave

By Jennifer Viegas

updated 12:19 p.m. CT, Wed., Dec. 3, 2008

Nearly two pounds of still-green plant material found in a 2,700-year-old grave in the Gobi Desert has just been identified as the world's oldest marijuana stash, according to a paper in the latest issue of the Journal of Experimental Botany.

A barrage of tests proves the marijuana possessed potent psychoactive properties and casts doubt on the theory that the ancients only grew the plant for hemp in order to make clothing, rope and other objects.

They apparently were getting high too.

Here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28034925/?gt1=43001

I have read that the body was that of a blond. What was a blond doing in China?

Not a blonde, but not Chinese/East Asian, either. I think we're both thinking of China, not Mongolia? Lots of trade in both countries back then - the Silk Road, etc.

There's an article on the mummy in question - either on the National Geographic site, or else the Smithsonian site - that i bookmarked recently. If I can find it, I'll post the link here.

The western part of China (Xinjiang Autonomous Region) has used the mummy (and similar remains as well as artifacts) to try to build their case for independence from Beijing. Sadly, the PRC has no intention of letting go of that part of the country...

Edited by seeline