Jazz Suppressed: Wagner Promoted

BillF

You think you know where and when.

Wrong! Think again!

It's BBC Radio 3 this afternoon: Jazz Record Requests canceled to make way for 5 1/4 hours of Tristan and Isolde. :rhappy:

We're running that broadcast here at WFIU as well.

But it doesn't involve the cancelation of Night Lights, does it? (Everything in its proper place!)

You think you know where and when.

Wrong! Think again!

It's BBC Radio 3 this afternoon: Jazz Record Requests canceled to make way for 5 1/4 hours of Tristan and Isolde. :rhappy:

We're running that broadcast here at WFIU as well.

But it doesn't involve the cancelation of Night Lights, does it? (Everything in its proper place!)

No way, man!

Anyways, my show occupies some low-value radio real estate here on the home station...11 p.m. EST Saturday evenings. There isn't much that's going to pre-empt that!

I love Wagner (and Tristan in particular) - just don't think it's very polite to throw everything else out of the way for him. Why does it need to be a live broadcast? A time delay of a couple of hours would still get through it by midnight.

The only person listening was probably David Mellor and he has 75 different versions on CD.

Anyway - next year there are anniversaries for both Handel and Haydn and the BBC has plans! Expect entire weeks when everything else gets thrown overboard for 'innovative' broadcasting i.e. non-stop Handel/Haydn.

Bet Guy Barker is desperately writing a jazz take on both as we speak, hoping he can get a slice of the action.

The wonderful folks at the Metropolitan Opera have acted like the world revolves around them in dealing with U.S. public radio stations. You have to air it live on Saturdays (tape delay is not allowed) and no matter what the length of the opera (it can start as early as 12 noon Eastern and run past 5:30 pm), nor how many encores the announcer describes, you can't cut away until the final outcue. It's hell starting a 5 pm news feed at times.

It's no wonder our station dropped this turkey after dealing with this pompous behavior for far too long, as it played hell with our Saturday programming.

I agree, it's frustrating...but I'm not sure the debate is one about innovation...JRR, for all I love the show (and I do!), is on the conservative side for sure. It plays Ken Clarke to Live From the Met's David Mellor...

No, the debate is about the amount of time the BBC allocates to different sorts of music.