HOORAY!!!!

I'm also glad to be self-employed. This has been a pretty good year for me -- no slow down (yet) in electronic product development consulting. Although most are not in this county, there are a decent number of "high-tech" industries and employers around here. Quite a few are not heavily dependent on the automotive industry.

And in related news, the elementary school that my kids attended has the honor of it's air quality "being in first percentile of the most polluted in the country". "Only 15 schools nationwide were identified as having worse air quality".

Nice. <_<

Remind me again why we live here Chuck? Doesn't it have something to do with good pizza and places that serve fruit in beer? :o

Heard on the news this morning our county (Muskegon) has beat Detroit's unemployment figures - Muskegon 22%, Detroit 21.

That where Dow is?

I think Dow is in/near Midland. Our area is mostly auto parts and office furniture. The largest employer in the county is Howmet (now an Alcoa company), makers of castings for aircraft engines. Today the UAW announced a new contract extension with Howmet for around 5 years. The members all get a $1200 signing bonus.

And in related news, the elementary school that my kids attended has the honor of it's air quality "being in first percentile of the most polluted in the country". "Only 15 schools nationwide were identified as having worse air quality".

Nice. <_<

Remind me again why we live here Chuck? Doesn't it have something to do with good pizza and places that serve fruit in beer? :o

I believe the others that are worse are here in the Rochester ( or rather the Kodak Park area of the city), and there is very good pizza here too!

Nice. <_<

I believe the others that are worse are here in the Rochester ( or rather the Kodak Park area of the city), and there is very good pizza here too!

A good deal of the air pollution around here is transported across Lake Michigan from Chicago, Milwaukee, and Gary, IN.

I'd bet Rochester gets a little help from Toronto in that regard?

(and the pizza in Whitehall, while not bad, probably doesn't compare)

No, it all comes from Kodak pollution.

The worst in the state.

"A total of 13 area schools rank at the top of USA Today's worst air list. All are in fairly close proximity to Kodak's giant manufacturing complex on both sides of Genesee River."

Here's a example:

John Marshall Hs

180 Ridgeway Avenue Rochester, NY

1st percentile

National Rank The air is worse at 35 schools across the nation

Chemicals most responsible for the toxicity outside this school:

Sulfuric acid

71% of overall toxicity

Chlorine

16% of overall toxicity

Hydrochloric acid

6% of overall toxicity

Chromium and chromium compounds

5% of overall toxicity

Hydrogen fluoride

1% of overall toxicity

Polluters most responsible for toxics outside this school:

Eastman Kodak Co Kodak Park

Arch Chemicals Inc

Delphi Energy & Chassis Rochester

Russell Station (local utility company coal burning plant)

Pfaudler, Inc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

School 41-Kodak Park

279 West Ridge Road Rochester, NY

1st percentile

National Rank The air is worse at 35 schools across the nation

Sacred Heart Cathedral School

311 Flower City Park Rochester, NY

1st percentile

National Rank The air is worse at 245 schools across the nation

North Baptist Christian School

2052 Saint Paul Street Rochester, NY

1st percentile

National Rank The air is worse at 265 schools across the nation