Bill Heid

mikeweil

I just got me Bill Heid's latest Savant CD da girl

2041.jpg

after recommendations by B3-er and others here, and suggest we feature this guy on his own. A GREAT organist. Young and Patterson, but quite a lot of his own. I second the statement every organ fan should have some of his, and this certainly is not the last one I bought.

A great "sequel" to Unity, in a way.

Edited by mikeweil

I just got me Bill Heid's latest Savant CD da girl

2041.jpg

after recommendations by B3-er and others here, and suggest we feature this guy on his own. A GREAT organist. Young and Patterson, but quite a lot of his own. I second the statement every organ fan should have some of his, and this certainly is not the last one I bought.

A great "sequel" to Unity, in a way.

Yeah Bill's bad! B) I used to work with him once in a while when he lived around Detroit.. he can play!! :tup

I don't know about availability, but it's not a duo. Scott "E Dog" Peterson plays tenor on it.

BTW, Bill's bandmates deserve some mention in this thread, too. Randy Gelispie is something of a Lansing area legend, having played with many of the greats from way back in the day to the present. He's a great drummer himself, and you'll never meet a sweeter cat. Every time you see him you can count on a warm greeting: "Hey man, how 'ya doin'?" Currently on the faculty at MSU.

Guitarist Perry Hughes has been mentioned before as one of the best guitarists you've never heard. He sounds every bit as good to me as Peter Bernstein, or Benson, or Martino. No lie. This guy is f**king smooth. Gelispie gave me a hard time earlier this year when I didn't show up at a gig he and Perry played with Dr. Lonnie Smith: "Man -- well first of all, how ya doin'?... :D ... Listen, you went mountain biking with Marsh when Perry Hughes was playin?! Man, you got to take the music more seriously than that!" :winky: I know, I know.... ^_^

It took me years to find "This Is My Rifle" as well. Silly thing is when I first saw Bill Heid at the Detroit Jazz Festival in 1996 he had copies of this for sale but I didn't pick one up. I finally got one on Ebay for $30!!

It's a good record. PM me if interested.

All of Bill's record are on Savant as far as I know. He did some blues records with Detroit guitarist Johnnie Bassett and they are good but basically straight ahead blues.

And yes, he was taught by both Larry Young in the late 70s when Larry was living in Detroit AND Don Patterson before that. Now, how can you beat that?