Happy Birthday J.J. Johnson!

Free For All

Today is J.J.'s birthday (85th, I believe) and I'm listening to and remembering this great artist. He inspired me to play and write and continues to inspire players young and old. His Mosiac box is one of my favorites (as well as the Mosaic single J.J.!). I'm glad I got to meet him some years ago- I just wanted to thank him for all the great music. And he was a classy gentleman as well.

Happy Birthday J.J., and thanks for everything!

b13a3139-42fc-462b-9bc6-a31aa5204a00.jpg

I keep bumping into his recordings thanks to the many great players in his bands. He's always been a "go to" guy when I want to hear Bobby Jaspar, but in the past few weeks I've pulled out the Mosaic box to listen to young Freddie Hubbard and Elvin Jones as well. The leader of the band is pretty darn good too. :)

• 14 years later...

I have my all time favourites of J.J. 

I think what had impressed me most during my youth was the "Yokohama Concert" and I was the first who had bought it and some of my high school colleages, even those 2,3 years younger than me taped it and hummed it, mostly the first title. 

I also like very much "Pincaccle " with a lot of stars on it. 

And needless to say his vintage bop sessions with Bud for Savoy. 

I have heard that in the 60´s he mostly wrote for movies. 

'Yokohama Concert' on Pablo was the first one I bought too and it marked a return to jazz for JJ after years in the studio.

So glad I got to see and meet him in that last period of live gigging (with a young Rene Rosnes on piano). A true legend.

Edited by sidewinder