Graham Bond "Solid Bond" Feb. 17th

collectorschoice

Here's some info on an upcoming relaase on Collectors' Choice that i thought you might be interested in:

Artist: Graham Bond

Title: Solid Bond

How about an album featuring Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce, John McLaughlin, Dick Heckstall-Smith AND Jon Hiseman?! And, oh yeah, Graham Bond, too—much like John Mayall’s various groups, Bond’s bands, as proving grounds for soon-to-be superstars. often overshadowed the man at the center of them. For example, this record, though it came out in 1970, features Bruce, Baker and McLaughlin playing fairly straight-ahead jazz on three tracks recorded live at Klook’s Kleek in 1963, a far cry from the heavy blues-rock and fusion that would later make them famous. The rest of the album is composed of 1966 tracks that mark the only recordings made by Bond with Heckstall-Smith and Hiseman before they left to form Colosseum (tellingly, the first track on their new band’s debut album was a cover of Bond’s Walkin’ in the Park, which appears here). These later tracks boast that uniquely Bond-ian mixture of R&B, jazz, blues and rock, and rank among his finest recordings. Includes Green Onions; Springtime in the City; Can’t Stand It; The Grass Is Greener; Doxy; Only Sixteen; Last Night; Long Legged Baby; Walkin’ in the Park; It’s Not Goodbye; Neighbour Neighbour, and Ho Ho Country Kicking Blues. The complete double-album on one CD, with new notes featuring quotes from Jon Hiseman—a Collectors’ Choice Music exclusive!

I saw Bond quite a few times. His best band was the one with Jack Bruce on acoustic bass, Ginger Baker on drums and John McLaughlin, who was replaced by Dick Heckstall Smith. At the time they were playing in half empty clubs for very little money. Talking about Klooks Kleek, I remember seeing Fleetwood Mac with Jeremy Spencer there, they were great.

Edited by kinuta

Maybe I'm losing it but hasn't this one already come out on CD?

Having said that, new liner notes with quotes by Jon Hiseman sounds good !

I think this is the first domestic US CD issue. Collectors Choice reissues a lot of titles in the USA which also come out on other labels in other countries.

Maybe I'm losing it but hasn't this one already come out on CD?

Having said that, new liner notes with quotes by Jon Hiseman sounds good !

I think this is the first domestic US CD issue. Collectors Choice reissues a lot of titles in the USA which also come out on other labels in other countries.

Hmmm interesting. I first bought this on vinyl secondhand. Then found an import CD of it a few years ago from somewhere unknown but it was not a boot. Then last year it was reissued fo rth efirst time on CD in the UK on Warners but with no sleevenotes which was rather pathetic. So I too would be interested in reading some sleevenotes on this (third?) CD reissue. It's a very good album and some of the tracks can be heard on the six CD Jack Bruce compilation box set on Esoteric.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been intending to buy some Graham Bond since reading Dick Heckstall Smith's book--perhaps this is the one I should buy.

This is really an outtakes collection. Start with the twofer of "The Sound of '65/There's a Bond Between Us' reissued on BGO. That's the classic stuff and the logical starting point. 'Solid Bond' is supplementary for the already-converted.

Edited by felser