Anita O'Day at newport

epistrophy007

I was wondering...

Since I have Anita O'Day's complete set on cd, is there any chance that the whole set is filmed?

Would love to see the first tune she did (Rock & Roll Boogie Blues). She seemed "a little bit" angry on her backing trio because they didn't start to play after she was announced, so she had to walk on to the mike without music.

By the way, Chris Connor performed also that year at Newport, and you can spot her in the crowd watching O'Day.

According to her site, Connor's set was also recorded (as was her set of the previous year). Any chance Stern filmed her singing? Would love to see Connor perform in her glory day's

j.

My guess is that he couldn't afford to shoot many more performances than are in the final film. (Film stock and developing is expensive.) Be great if I was wrong and lots more showed up.

Sounds logical.

Thanks for the reply!

Would sure be great if there more showes up! And maybe there's hope: Stern filmed O'Day getting on stage, and then cuts to Sweet Georgia brown, which she performed halfway the set. Tea for Two, I believe, was the last song she did.

I must admit they are the highlights of the set, but that's something Stern couldn't know in advance...

j.

I love Anita O'day - almost met her, at the Blue Note in NYC, many years ago -

Jean Roth, Joe Albany's girl friend, took me to see her -

"I'll introduce you to Anita" she rasped (Jean, who died of lung cancer about 20 years ago, smoked about 5 packs a day) -

during the intermission we went around to her dressing room -

"Anita, it's Jean" she said, and pushed the door open a little. We peeked in and Anita was on her hands and knees, in a state of disrepair. She reached with her foot and slammed the door shut.

Jean said, "that was Anita," and we left.

My guess is that he couldn't afford to shoot many more performances than are in the final film. (Film stock and developing is expensive.) Be great if I was wrong and lots more showed up.

I know that for the '67 Monterey Pop Festival, only the first song or two was filmed for most of the acts, which is a tragic loss. (At least that's what the documentary says). Suspect Woodstock was the same. Seems like more would have come out on DVD for those if there was more, though maybe I'm just showing my age/era here....

There have been DVD releases of both the Monterey and Woodstock films that have added a lot of extra footage. And Pennebaker shot enough songs by Otis Redding and Jimi Hendrix to release DVDs for each of them. (Don't recall whether they're complete sets.)

• 3 weeks later...