Miles Seven Steps, Jack Johnson, and Quintet sets cheap on hmv.com

David Ayers

As well as the numerous Blue Notes still on sale for 3.99 they just added these three sets at tempting prices.

It's all on spotify of course, but just in case you have an academic interest in these matters here's the link.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/specialOffers.do?ctx...p;tertiaryID=-1

Remarkable! The ones at £2.99 are the cheapest I've ever seen for new CDs. (Previous record £3.00 for Spanish Blue Notes from Fopp.) Just shows how desperate they're getting!

I keep seeing bargains, but everything I see either I already have it or I don't really want it. That's the story here, I think.

That's why Spotify is such a boon for me - I can dabble in all the stuff I don't want enough to buy and 'own'.

Agreed! :tup

I got the '60's Quintet box today. Long box, shrink wrapped, label easily came off. The booklet: The cover separated from the rest of the booklet. Just checked my credit card bill: it came out to US $32.13. Not bad.

BTW, HMV's lowered the price of the Seven Steps to Heaven box to UK 19.99.

The Seven Steps Box was the last one missing on my shelves - € 30.00 incl. postage - less than a fourth of what I almost paid because I didn't want to miss it. Thanks for this beneficial link! :)

It's a wonderful set, Mike, with excellent sound. You will love it.

Of course, like me, you have probably known a lot of it for years. My buddies and I used to play the "Four and More" and "Funny Valentine" LPs over and over. It felt odd hearing this material in chronological order. On the LP, the closing theme was spliced onto the end of one piece (not the last piece played), and it wasn't there on the CD. The actual playing order works very well.

One thing is very clear. George Coleman was not the inferior tenor that most writers say he was. That guy was fantastic with Miles and on Herbie's "Maiden Voyage", and there is quite a bit of similarity between his sound and Wayne's, to my ears. (Wayne played different licks, of course, and is a superb composer and arranger.)

The sad thing is that the drastic reduction in price of these CDs can only mean one thing.

It's a wonderful set, Mike, with excellent sound. You will love it.

I do!!!

BTW, the box I received was one of the first pressing with the metal bracket, not a long box. I guess the lowered price refers to the long box (didn't know this was already available in that format). JPC in Germany sold the Silent Way and Bitches Brew long boxes that cheap last year - and they are still available, though not at such a low price.

Edited by mikeweil

One thing is very clear. George Coleman was not the inferior tenor that most writers say he was. That guy was fantastic with Miles and on Herbie's "Maiden Voyage", and there is quite a bit of similarity between his sound and Wayne's, to my ears. (Wayne played different licks, of course, and is a superb composer and arranger.)

One more difference is that Coleman never went as far out as Shorter - that considered, Shorter was the better match for that rhythm team. It is telling that these four players did a lot of recording together in various combinations, while Coleman was not called again, IIRC.

I also see similarities between Coleman and Cannonball, as far as fluency and perfection are concerned. Cannonball also was the least adventurous guy in that band, in a way.

Perfect hardbop vs. free form leanings, that was the question ... Miles tried quite a number of players between these two approches in those years.

• 2 weeks later...

My boxes arrived and in pristine, sealed condition. The two Miles sets are the 'luxury' editions and not the long box. :)

'Jack Johnson' box is now down to £17.99 for anyone who needs a copy - damn, I was ripped off ! Price hike also on the '65-'68 box.

There's also the Mingus Cornell for £3.99. Shame the UCLA album isn't in the sale.

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update to this: I went into the Oxford Circus HMV today and most RVGs, though not all, were still £4. However, the real deals are the doubles - I picked up the aforementioned Cornell 1964, Dorham's Round About Midnight, and Groovin' at Small's Paradise for £5 apiece. I almost never see any of these for under $20 in the US whereas the singles are frequently discounted to the $7-8 range.

One question on these: are they still being copy controlled? All the doubles I bought had the "this label is subject to copy control" on the back traycard but I was under the impression that EMI had stopped actually putting all that CC crap into the marketplace.

Edited by Big Wheel