Manfred Mann

Looking for a good comp focused on their instrumental 60s groovy/jazzy stuff, if it exists.

What you need is their 'Manfred Mann Chapter 3' stuff released on LP for Vertigo - I'm not aware of any CD issue though. Excellent stuff, with UK jazzers of the time such as Harry Beckett and Henry Lowther featured.

TTK, EMI issued a compilation of the original group's instrumentals called Soul of Mann. As I recall, it was issued on CD by See for Miles.

Manfred Mann Chapter III was my favorite group when I was in college. I saw them in Washington, and Manfred let me plug my tape recorder into the band's electric power so I could record the concert! Unfortunately, most of it didn't come out, because it was too dark for me to set the levels properly.

Both of Chapter III's albums have been released on CD, most recently with bonus tracks I believe. There was also a 4-CD issue of Manfred Mann which included some previously unreleased music from Chapter III's never-released third album, but I have never heard it.

Looking for a good comp focused on their instrumental 60s groovy/jazzy stuff, if it exists.

What you need is their 'Manfred Mann Chapter 3' stuff released on LP for Vertigo - I'm not aware of any CD issue though. Excellent stuff, with UK jazzers of the time such as Harry Beckett and Henry Lowther featured.

The Manfred Mann Chapter 3 material is indeed great and pretty groundbreaking for its time in featuring heavy duty jazzers with a rock band, although I would definitely go for the first album rather than the second. However, I think the question was more directed towards the early 60s material. There were some great tracks like 'Why Should We Not', 'Cock A Hoop', 'Sack O'Woe' etc which pre-dated their hits and had significant jazz content. The best place to look is a set entitled 'Down The Road Apiece' which focuses on their EMI recordings between 1963 and 1966. There might be other albums with some of the same material but make sure these tracks are included.

I have found "Soul of Mann" - which was actually an album and not a collection - on CD. I used to have this on cassette, glad it's out there.

I forgot about "Up the Junction" - that is on CD too.

Regarding "Down the Road Apiece" - What percentage of that stuff is groovy jazzy instrumental stuff, as compared to "Do Wah Diddy?" Not that there is anything wrong with the pop stuff, it's just not what I'm looking for right now.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

I've never heard any of this kinda of material (nor much Manfred Mann at all, come to think of it).

Can anybody point me to some audio-samples (on-line), or maybe is there a cut or two already uploaded to something like Youtube??

I'd be curious to check this out.

For the early stuff, the easiest way is to check out the samples on Amazon :

Manfred Mann - Down The Road Apiece

In particular, check out Without You ( great Kirkish flute ), Why Should We Not and Sack O'Woe.

I'm sure there's soemthing similar for Chapter 3. They are only short samples but give you an idea.

TTK, thanks for that youtube link, but I think the video is wrong when it credits the horns to Mike Vickers. I believe that he had already left the group when that was recorded, and that Henry Lowther was on the trumpet there. I forget the name of the sax player. The band with Lowther and the other horn, and with Jack Bruce on bass, was the Pretty Flamingo band.

sidewinder, I can't prove a negative, but I don't believe that Lowther ever played with Chapter III, only with the Pretty Flamingo band.

TTK, after the group moved to Fontana, they recorded another EP of instrumentals called Instrumental Assassination, with Sweet Pea, Wild Thing, an original called One Way and a fourth song (a cover of a hit) which I don't remember. Those four songs were issued on the Fontana LP What a Mann. Can't say if they have ever been on a CD.

In particular, check out Without You ( great Kirkish flute ), Why Should We Not and Sack O'Woe.

Do you know offhand the ratio of instrumental grooviness to vocal beat group stuff on this collection?

Do you know offhand the ratio of instrumental grooviness to vocal beat group stuff on this collection?

80% vocal, but great period stuff. The Chapter 3 stuff has been on CD, I have it.

TTK, after the group moved to Fontana, they recorded another EP of instrumentals called Instrumental Assassination, with Sweet Pea, Wild Thing, an original called One Way and a fourth song (a cover of a hit) which I don't remember. Those four songs were issued on the Fontana LP What a Mann. Can't say if they have ever been on a CD.

I remember now. The fourth song was Georgie Fame's Get Away.