Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

It's years that I didn't listen to:

EDDIE PRÉVOST TRIO: TOUCH - THE WEIGHT, MEASURE AND FEEL OF THINGS (MATCHLESS)

What a F***ing great record.

It's from the "other" EDDIE PRÉVOST TRIO with TOM CHANT (exclusively on SOPRANO and his own man even if you can feel he has been under the influence of STEVE LACY) and JOHN EDWARDS on bass

Have you heard it? And the others also (one new has just come out)?

I think I will listen mostly to PRÉVOST this weekend.

Also a first listening to:

EVAN PARKER - ALEXANDER VON SCHLIPPENBACH - PAUL LYTTON TRIO:

AMERICA 2003 (PSI)

A double rec. from this unusual trio who mixed two third of the PARKER-GUY-LYTTON trio with two third of VON SCHLIPPENBACH-PARKER-LOVENS trio (read again, it's correct.)

So far I've listenning to disc one and so far so good.

But, well, it's EDDIE PRÉVOST weekend, so let's spoke about EDDIE.

Do you know him? Do you like him?

Edited by P.L.M

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, David, you surely can start wit TOUCH.

This band is a gem (look also for THE VIRTUE IN IT & SEVENTH OF MAY 2001 - THE MATCHLESS DAY, this one recorded live at the FREEDOM FEST. but TOUCH is so far their masterpiece.)

I hope to get the new one soon (I mean when my CC will be in, ahem, in order again.)

Two PRÉVOST who are indispensable:

EVAN PARKER & EDDIE PRÉVOST: MOST MATERIALL (double CD)

EDDIE PRÉVOST/ EVAN PARKER/ KEITH ROWE/ BARRY GUY: SUPERSSESSION

Both are incredible great stuff.

And if you feel to listen to AMM, start with NEWFOUNDLAND who still beat most of the so-call EAI stuff (but I must confess that I've heard few interesting thing in this field lately.)

David, you can buy directly from the MATCHLESS site throught Paypal, I think.

They send the items very quick and the prices are fair (and the site beautifull).

Edited by P.L.M

OK, the first phase is completed. All the CDs are arranged by alphabetic order (by first letter actually, I will arrange within each letter after I have assembled the racks). Looks like I overestimated the size of the collection - this looks more like 3-4K, which is good - I might not have to assemble all 4 racks. We'll see.

Now - assembling.

OK, the first phase is completed. All the CDs are arranged by alphabetic order (by first letter actually, I will arrange within each letter after I have assembled the racks). Looks like I overestimated the size of the collection - this looks more like 3-4K, which is good - I might not have to assemble all 4 racks. We'll see.

Now - assembling.

Someone better not sneeze very loudly or get into a rage in there...

I'm listening to Other Dimensions in Music Special Quintet: Time is of the Essence is Beyond Time right now.

e252460kp8h.jpg

This disc has never really clicked with me. I always want to enjoy it moe than I do. The lineup looks great on paper: Daniel Carter, Roy Campbell, Jr, Matthew Shipp, William Parker and Rashied Bakr. The music, however, seems very aimless and "noodling" to me. This disc is growing on me, slowly, but I am still less than impressed with this one. Thom Jurek's AMG review of this one is all over the place. For half of the review I have no clue what he is trying to say and, for the other half, I disagree almost completely with his statements.

Just listened to this one, and you're right, there's quite a lot of noodling going on. It couldn't keep my attention and I'm not sure it'll grow on me, but I'll give it another shot some time.

With cursing and swearing (and minor to medium damage to various body parts and apartment walls) the first rack is assambled. Assembly is not difficult, it's just me who is clumsy.

So the fisrst rack (1520 CD capacity) absorbed skyscrappers A to F, and G partially. I am leaving spaces for growth - should be enough for a couple of years.

Looks like I will have to assemble all 4 racks.

For statistical purposes, B was the largest category (by far) - 3 skyscrappers plus one solid brownstone. But you know that "Brötztm..." and "Braxt..." are very widespread beginnings of last names.

Second largest is S (due to Shepp, Shaw, Stravinsky & Shostakovich mostly).

As for the smallest ones, in addition to usual suspects (Q, U, X, Y), I, O, E turned out to be really small. I is mainly "India" , Ibrahim and Iron Maiden. O is bits and pieces.. probably Italian names dominate a bit (Oliva, Orselli, etc.) - and Oxley, of course. As for E, it might improve since I plan to start investigating this Ellington guy...

Z was brought to prominence by Zappa - and if I start delving into Zorn, it might grow into quite a section.

Sheesh David! That's a whole lot of music.

Could you turn the spines toward the camera so we can see what you've got? :blink:

Tony, some of the skyscrappers are gone now, so the emotional effect would be not that profound - but don't worry, when I am done, I will make a high-resolution full-color picture, for your enjoyment.

Spines will be positioned in the most perfect way.

... investigating this Ellington guy...

:wacko:

:blink:

:rolleyes:

:huh:

^_^

:lol:

:o

you best start with that nice centennial box - that's what I did, yet - shame on me! - I haven't heard more than half of it... then there's the beautiful recent Columbia reissues, and once you get *really* started (I haven't yet, thank God!), you won't stop anymore until you die...

ubu

Re: Avant magazine: I forget where--Jazz Corner I think--but there was a very irate thread started by someone who had had the magazine eat his subscription & not send him copies.

Prevost--the duo with Crispell Band on the Wall is wonderful if you don't mind a minor flaw in the recording (tiny crackle on peak moments). Chant seems to have laid off on the soprano lately--the new one by that trio, The Blackbird's Whistle, has him on tenor & bass clarinet. It's an OK album, though a bit patchy. Avoid the new duo disc with Evan Parker (Imponderable Evidence) but the earlier Most Materiall is indeed pretty excellent.

Now - assembling.

your cd collection almost looks like a city of high rise towers.

Listeningto Armstrong's Hot Five and Hot Seven - what a beautiful and fresh music! And surprisingly good sound (at least on CD 3).

This Armstrong guy definitely could blow.

-------------------------------------------------

According to Ken Vandermark's newsletter SONORE reed trio (Brötzmann, Gustafsson, Vandermark) will release a CD on Okka (called "No One Ever Works Alone", live from Cologne 2003) later this year.

Having learnt this, I finally listened to SONORE's concert that our friend ubu kindly provided me with - what a phenomenal music (thanks, ubu!). And very lyrical sometimes (pretty often, actually) and quite solemn at moments. I assume the music is to a great degree notated... otherwise I can't imagine this level of spontaneous interplay.

Looking forwar to the CD!

Also, looks like SONORE will be touring North America in September, so our AMerican friends - try to catch them live if they are somewhere around.

Edited by Д.Д.

And if you feel to listen to AMM, start with NEWFOUNDLAND who still beat most of the so-call EAI stuff (but I must confess that I've heard few interesting thing in this field lately.)

For those in the U.S. I have found that Erstwhile distribution has the best prices for Matchless.

I agree with the recommendation for Newfoundland. It is a beautiful album and a great place to start with AMM.

I've picked up a few interesting discs recently and will post my thoughts as soon as I have some time to listen to the music. My wife will most definitely not be a fan of any of these, so I either need a long car ride or some time with headphones on. I bought used copies of a Sam Rivers / Alexander von Schlippenbach disc on FMP (apologies to ubu!), an album by Tim Berne's Bloodcount band, who I have been meaning to post more about for a while. (Their Unwound live 3cd set is fantastic.) and what looks to be a limited self-released disc from Paul Dunmall, in duet with Tony Irving.

On the EAI front I also got a copy of Kevin Drumm's Sheer Hellish Miasma, which is fantastic, and discs by SSSD (Taku Sugimoto, Martin Siewert, Burkhard Stangl and Werner Dafeldecker) and a nice solo disc by Martin Siewert. All of these are really good, on first listens, but the Drumm album continues to astonish me. It is, by far, the best disc I have heard by him.

Re: Avant Prevost--the duo with Crispell Band on the Wall is wonderful if you don't mind a minor flaw in the recording (tiny crackle on peak moments).  Chant seems to have laid off on the soprano lately--the new one by that trio, The Blackbird's Whistle, has him on tenor & bass clarinet.  It's an OK album, though a bit patchy.  Avoid the new duo disc with Evan Parker (Imponderable Evidence) but the earlier Most Materiall is indeed pretty excellent.

Curious to Hear CHANT on bass clarinet. And tenor, too: does he sounds like PARKER (EVAN, I mean) ?

Nate, what's your take on SUPERSSESSION?

And on AMM, in general?

Edited by P.L.M

I is mainly "India" , Ibrahim and Iron Maiden.

"Scream for me Long Beach! SCREAM FOR ME LONG BEACH!!!!"

I was listening to Live After Death a few days ago. I saw Iron Maiden in concert 16 or 17 years ago and still have a soft spot for the 1980's albums.

Have you heard their latest one? I liked Brave New World quite a bit, even if it is somewhat predctable.

Have you heard their latest one? I liked Brave New World quite a bit, even if it is somewhat predctable.

No, the last album I heard by them was Seventh Son. I might have heard the album after that once, but can't really remember. Predictable would not be a problm for me, as I stopped expecting innovation from them many many years ago.

Guest Chaney

John: If you like Change of Scenes, you might (will!) enjoy Eddy Louiss: Porgy & Bess, part of the Jazz in Paris series. Around 35 minutes of bobbing-in-your-seat-with-a-shit-eating-grin-on-your-face joy. Not surprisingly, the sound is not a clean as the Verve Elite Edition Change of Scenes and the arrangements (by Ivan Julien) not as accomplished but IT KICKS BUTT!

I at one time had the 75 disk Jazz in Paris set but sold it off to a fine member of this board. The one disk that I made a copy of before the set's departure was this one.

Porgy & Bess - Import

PS: If you're not familiar with Louiss, he plays organ.

I bought used copies of a Sam Rivers / Alexander von Schlippenbach disc on FMP...

I once borrowed a copy of this one from the library. My opinion? :rfr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

David: More pictures of your CD organizing labors on the way?

Edited by Chaney

Had a listen to this one:

572b.gif

Picked it up in a sale, last week (our Friend D.D. will get a copy as well, now that he has revealed to me the name of the Brötzel reed trio, and has EVEN listened to that disc...)

Like it a lot! Portal is on tenor, soprano, clarinet and bass clarinet, Francioli and Favre provide fractured to groovy backgrounds. Anyone else here knows this one? I think it's the best Portal I've heard, except for some live stuff I have. His "Minneapolis" album is a very tired affair. I do like Sonny T and Michael B with Prince (check "Exodus" by the New Power Generation, Prince is there, too, as "Tora Tora" or something), but with Portal, they just don't make too much sense to my ears.

ubu