Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nate, it's been quite some time since I hear the disc....

Any other opinions on the Parkers? Well, I do a search first.

ubu

ubu,

"O'Neal's Porch" is worth getting.

Been some time here as well since I last heard the Tatum/Webster disc. I also quite like the one with Hampton, by the way.

Edited by gnhrtg

I listened to "The Bishop's Move" again late night yesterday (so had to adjust the volume somwhat) and I think it's quite good overall with some particularly awesome segments. Will consolidate my opionions further after another listen but at 74 minutes, I was hardly bored at all due to both the shifts within the music itself (when a given configuration of the musicians are playing) and the shifting configuration which introduces its own variety. I'd say, again, that this's easily worth the time and money of most who are presently interested in these musicians.

I just got an email from Dennis Gonzalez that he will be performing a free show in New York at Downtown Music Gallery this Saturday night. I posted all of the details in the Live Music thread. I wish I was able to go to this show! If anyone here is able to check it out let me know how it is.

Thanks. "O'Neal's Porch" has been recommended by many around here, but I remembered D.D. not liking it too much, and I am afraid I know his tastes a bit by now and might end up just like him with this disc...

If I rememeber correctly, I am not alone - Tony did not seem too much excited about it, perhaps David Ayers also?

I actually have a sealed spare copy of it, and I can send it to you if you want - but I'd rather send you something good ;) (and there is something in the pipeline).

From the discs I have heard I would recommend picking up these:

William Parker - Peach Orchard, O'Neal's Porch

This is, for me and so far, the best record of WILLIAM PARKER.

IMO, the best CD under William Parker's name is ...and WIlliam Danced (on Ayler). It's a trio with Hamid Drake and this excellent alto player from Sweden whose name I can never remember.

My quotation was badly selected.

I mean THE PEACH ORCHARD is the best WP and not O'NEAL'S PORCH that I don't like more than you.

But I stand with my (corrected) statement: the best WILLIAM PARKER is THE PEACH ORCHARD, at least it's the more representative of his work at his best.

I like very much ... AND WILLIAM DANCED but, really, I consider this record more of a ANDERS GAHNOLD's one (or, least, I will credited to the trio) than a WIILIAM PARKER.

PAINTER'S SPRING (trio with DANIEL CARTER, HAMID DRAKE) & BOB'S PINK CADILLAC (with the wonderful Mr PERRY ROBINSON & WALTER PERKINS) are two others records of WP that I like quite a bit.

Thanks. "O'Neal's Porch" has been recommended by many around here, but I remembered D.D. not liking it too much, and I am afraid I know his tastes a bit by now and might end up just like him with this disc...

If I rememeber correctly, I am not alone - Tony did not seem too much excited about it, perhaps David Ayers also?

I actually have a sealed spare copy of it, and I can send it to you if you want - but I'd rather send you something good ;) (and there is something in the pipeline).

You are correct, sir.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Guess what I found?

128x128.jpg

I managed to find this one (sealed!) at Herb's Imported Music & Videos through GEMM at the nice price of $23.

:party:

Guess what I found?

128x128.jpg

I managed to find this one (sealed!) at Herb's Imported Music &  Videos through GEMM at the nice price of $23.

That's a really good one Chaney. In fact, I think highly - though there's also considerable variation - of all of Clusone 3/Trio's recorded output.

Edited by gnhrtg

I tested the new computer a bit last night and everything seems to be working as it should. That means I can finally offer my Funny Rat friends a few goodies I have stashed away. The three discs I have to share are the Raphe Malik quartet with Sabir Mateen, recorded live in January 2003, Marco Eneidi's Sound on Survival, recorded sometime in early 2004, I forget the exact date, and Warne Marsh, recorded live in 1952.

The sound quality on these varies quite a bit, especially the 1952 Warne show.

If any of you are interested, send me a PM listing which of the three (or all) you would like, and I will start getting these ready this weekend.

I spent my time with the computer last night listening to Baikida Carroll.

e53027pge9t.jpg

d05987d0430.jpg

Both of these discs are fantastic! Door of the Cage and Marionettes on a High Wire are both very accessible discs, staying in a very melodic "free-bop" range of writing and playing. Highly recommended! I need to grab some more of Baikida's work. I checked AMG, and it doesn't seem like he has many albums out as a leader. I think the one before Door of the Cage, Shadows and Reflections, would be the one to get next.

Does anyone have recommendations for discs with him as a sideman?

Listening to discs 3 & 4 of the Kelly/Chambers Mosaic - wonderful WONDERFUL music! Little smokes! Me like the acidic sound of Frank Strozier a lot (have his other Veejay on a Koch reissue, as well as the 2002 Fantasy twofer, and a disc with Roy Haynes...).

Morgan and particularly Shorter make impressive contributions to "Kelly Great" which starts of disc 3. Shorter is really onto something else, on this his debut recording! Marvellous recording, as well!

Had a listen to some funny and great eastern European music this morning, as well, among the discs an Amiga album by Joe Sachse and Hannes Zerbe, one by the Polish "edition" of the Jazz Crusaders, the "Jazz Carriers", and the Jazz Jamboree 1961 album (with tunes by Ianci Körössy, Bernt Rosengren, Ronnie Ross, and Jimmy Gourley, sidemen including Krzystof Komeda). THanks to our man in the cold...

ubu

speaking of Dennis Gonzalez, I relistened to his last album, Nile River Suite again this morning. This one took a little while to click with me, but I really enjoy it. The recording levels seem to be a bit low, so I need to listen at a louder volume than I am used to, if I want to hear Henry Grimes at all. For those who don't recall the story, this is Grimes' first recording since coming out of "retirement." 500 copies of the disc were produced, and each musician received 100 to sell. Dennis is sold out of his 100, and is now going through Roy Campbell's stock as he gets orders. This disc will most likely not be repressed, due to circumstances beyond the musicians control. If you are a fan of Dennis, I would highly recommend picking this one up. Grimes is in fine form, and the rest of the band sounds great. I don't think anyone who is averse to Sabir Mateen or Roy Campbell would have a problem with this one, as they tend to play more in the ensemble than on their own recordings. I might be wrong, however.

David: Did you ever find Rara Avis? (Truth be told, I thought you might have bought Jon Abbey's copy.)

No, no, I have not got it.

You know there should always exist a highly challenging, practically unattainable target that should provide a constant inspiration.

Rara Avis for under $25.

I caught Noah Howard and Bobby Few in concert a week or so ago. I'd never seen either before. Few was plastered, and barely made it on or off the stand. He receiveda big cheer at the end of the concert based largely on the fact that he hadn't collapsed. During the sets he had to be grabbed by Howard to get him to either start or stop playing !!!

When he played though, he played like an angel.The two sets were highly repetitive soul/free jazz. Some "tunes" were played 3 or 4 times. Initially I was enchanted but rapidly wanted to leave to releave my boredom with the proceedings. Howard sung a fair bit, the beat remained constant. Just one long blues/soul vamp with egocentric lyrics. Howard put alot of energy into it and was rewarde by a delighted if undiscerning audience. Unfortunately there were 2 encores before I could escape. Funny rat gone bad

Edited by Clunky

I caught Noah Howard and Bobby Few in concert a week or so ago. I'd never seen either before. Few was plastered, and barely made it on or off the stand. He receiveda big cheer at the end of the concert based largely on the fact that he hadn't collapsed. During the sets he had to be grabbed by Howard to get him to either start or stop playing !!!

When he played though, he played like an angel.The two sets were highly repetitive soul/free jazz. Some "tunes" were played 3 or 4 times. Initially I was enchanted but rapidly wanted to leave to releave my boredom with the proceedings. Howard sung a fair bit, the beat remained constant. Just one long blues/soul vamp with egocentric lyrics. Howard put alot of energy into it and was rewarde by a delighted if undiscerning audience. Unfortunately there were 2 encores before I could escape. Funny rat gone bad

I saw Noah Howard in concert during one of the now defunct "Groningen Jazz Marathon" festivals in the 1970s. I remember being rather underwhelmed by his playing, but not much else.