Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

another one I humbly request to be taken on our "da shit"-list:

miles davis - the complete jack johnson sessions is da shit!

anyone of you folks here heard it?

I caught some flew or something, and have been in bed all day yesterday (terrible headache, not much music) and today, listened to all day that new Miles set, in one go... Fantastic stuff!

I never heard the originally released tracks, as I did anticipate the box and did not want to spend money on old lousy remasters, as I knew I would get that box.

An exhilarating listen!

ubu

Edited by king ubu

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

another one I humbly request to be taken on our "da shit"-list:

miles davis - the complete jack johnson sessions is da shit!

anyone of you folks here heard it?

I caught some flew or something, and have been in bed all day yesterday (terrible headache, not much music) and today, listened to all day that new Miles set, in one go... Fantastic stuff!

I never heard the originally released tracks, as I did anticipate the box and did not want to spend money on old lousy remasters, as I knew I would get that box.

An exhilarating listen!

ubu

Ubu,

Are you sure you didn't get a headache from listening to that Miles set?? ;)

Seriously, it sounds like "heavy" listening to me.

quite sure, actually! No, I did not expect to listen through this set in one go (moreso as all those unheard hats are lying around) - but I really like the music! Some very strong playing by all, Miles delivering several great solos, McLaughlin providing maybe the biggest highlights, and Holland/DeJohnette and even more Henderson/Cobham providing firm steady grooves. I REALLY like it! And it's not the slightest bit boring, in my opinion! Sonny Sharrock makes an appearance on the very first session included, by the way.

ubu

Sad to hear about Malachi Favors. I saw him with AEC last spring. The concert was not entirely successful, but there is something about these guys - they project

love and share something very personal with you, so loosing one of them is like loosing somebody you know personally.

I also saw one of the Lester's last concerts (with Brass Fantasy), just 10 days before his death. Lester looked very frail and spent most of the time seeting

in the chair in the middle of the scene, listening. He had these three super-muscular trumpeters in the band doing a lot of pirotechnical solos, but each time he played (and he didn't play that much - and when he did it, was something very short and simple), he created a lot of real fragile beauty.

They also performed "If you Don't Know Me By Now", and Lester came up to the microphone and recited with sarcasm - "If you don't know me buy now... well, it might be too late". After the concert, all musicians of the "Fantasy" looked somehow exhausted (not in a positive, self-satidfied type of way) and desoriented. It was a beautiful but sad event.

Thank you very much for sharing these precious recollections!

I have not yet fully entered the AEC orbit (and I should REALLY cut down my CD acquisitions...) - guess I got to spin the Nessa box (almost all I have, except for "Spiritual" and the recent "Tribute to Lester" on ECM).

ubu

I've never made it past European Echoes in exploring his work as a leader. Actually, other than Brotzmann, I am woefully lacking in work by that whole "scene." No Evan Parker as a leader (Monoceros is on order), no Schlippenbach other than the UMS discs, etc... I need to rectify this sooner or later.

I heard "Scales", think I taped it, when it was broadcasted as "jazz classic" on a german station. Rather nice stuff, indeed!

He appears on a beautiful Mal Waldron album, alongside Steve Lacy:

B00000JIKQ.03.LZZZZZZZ.gif

(the link above leads to amazon.de, sells it for some 10 euro-zlottys, only!)

Regarding Waldron - he's a musician I only have a handful of CDs so far, and I really want more ( ;) ), has anybody around here picked up this one here?

B0000A4G9J.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Looks like another winner!

ubu

From the HAT HUT site - updated February 2004:

New important notice

Midprice:  The selection from hat[now]ART numbers 101 through 136, hatOLOGY numbers 501 through 564, and hatNOIR numbers 801 through 803 has been completed!

We have newly reduced the price for these selections to approximately one-half the original price. Amounts are limited!

Newest (and FINAL) additions:

hatOLOGY 2-540

Horace Tapscott

The Dark Tree 1& 2

hatOLOGY 558

Matthew Shipp String Trio

Expansion, Power, Release

hatOLOGY 563

Per Henrik Wallin

Proklamation I & Farewell to Sweden

(Duo with Sven-Åke Johansson & Bonus CD Trio Live at Bimhuis Amsterdam)

hatNOIR 802

Taku Sugimoto

Opposite

hatNOIR 803

Loren Mazzacane Connors & Jim O'Rourke

In Bern

Just prior to this batch, these three (or four) added:

hatOLOGY 553

Theo Jörgensmann

Eckard Koltermann

Pagine Gialle

hatOLOGY 554

Clusone 3

An Hour With ...

hatOLOGY 556

Steve Lacy Four

Morning Joy

hatOLOGY 562

Cecil Taylor Unit

It Is In The Brewing Luminous

Edited by Chaney

I need to pick up the Cecil Taylor. Anyone who doesn't own the Dark Tree should get it asap. It is an essential set.

Will do so! I only have one of his Nimbus CDs (Vol. 8, if memory serves right) so far.

I picked up the Wallin 2CD set recently - some great music, I listened closely to disc 2 only, so far, which consists of trio live material. Very strong stuff!

ubu

Picked up some more hats yesterday:

Lauren Newton - Filigree

Bernd Konrad & Hans Koller - Phonolith

Mat Maneri - Acceptance

Carlos Zingaro & Peggy Lee - Western Front, Vancouver 1996

Had time to listen to the Maneri, and I think it's a fine one. The Konrad/Koller, too. Beautiful solo rendition of "Body & Soul" by the late Hans Koller.

Currently spinning the Newton, and guess what? I REALLY like it!

General question: the Maneris, anybody knows some more about them? There are some others of their discs available at that cheap price (around 8-9$, usual swiss-hat-price being around 25$ or even more), yet I don't really know if I need that stuff.

And regarding Matthew Shipp: his duo with Maneri is around, too, as is the OOP Strata.

And for full price, I saw some others, as the Eskelin/Bennink, the Melford duo disc, and some other Shipp things.

Anyone considers any of these essential?

thanks,

ubu

And for full price, I saw some others, as the Eskelin/Bennink, the Melford duo disc, and some other Shipp things.

Anyone considers any of these essential?

thanks,

ubu

The Eskelin / Bennink is really good, but you should be able to find it for reduced price fairly easily.

Thanks, John. I picked that one up today (none of the others yet).

Will listen tonight.

I had a background-listen of the Zingaro/Lee and found it incredibly good and fascinating! Anyone here has that one?

I guess I'm really sort of a "hat-hunter" these days (pun intended ;) )

ubu

I had a background-listen of the Zingaro/Lee and found it incredibly good and fascinating! Anyone here has that one?

"Fascinating" is the right word. It is indeed like a good novel that you just have to read tilll the end once you've started. I zthink I was listening to this disc for a week without listening to anything else - really mesmerizing music.

This disc prompted me to look for more Zingaro (who is probably my favorite violinist now). I highly recommend Knits on Numerica label, and really stunning Hauts Plateaux - a duo with excellent alto- and baritone saxophonist Duanik Lazro, on Potlatch label.

Regarding Hats - anybody can help with finding Matthew Shipp Trio, "The Multiplication Table"? Shipp redeemed himself completely in my eyes by an excellent duo with Mat Maneri (also on hatOLOGY, forgot the title), which reminds me of Prokofiev violin/piano sonatas, so I am catching up on the rest of Shipp's hats...

And I'm also still looking for Clusone 3 "Rara Avis"...

Thanks for mentioning the other Zingaro disc, David! Will look for it!

Uh, me too looking for "Multiplication Table" and "Rara Avis" as well as some others...

How about the Maneri's? Noone has any comments to make? I found "Tenderly" (by Joe, with Mat) rather interesting, and am willing to look for some others of their hats.

ubu