Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(I could get it cheap, and might go for it, if you recommend it, despite my buying freeze)

ubu

That buying freeze of yours seems to be quite hot at times... ^_^

Get the same impression from time to time ;)

(However, you'd have picked up Kimuses #3 & #5, too, for less than the prize of one hat, no?)

Seems you don't know the AALY disc?

ubu

(However, you'd have picked up Kimuses #3 & #5, too, for less than the prize of one hat, no?)

Seems you don't know the AALY disc?

ubu

No, I wouldn't have, and no, I don't :)

No? Seriously? ;)

What's the story of the Kimus discs? I found out that there were six, but the last one was not released. One track (from #4, I think), was on the bonus disc of BFT #8, else, I did not know this series. Were they sort of promotional give aways?

ubu

ubu - I happen to be listening to it as I type this and "Hidden in the Stomach" is a great disc. Especially nice renditions of other folks' tunes, "Song for Che" in particular. Peter Janson is a great bass player with a big tone and he has a couple of excellent solos/introductions to tunes as well (a shame he was replaced by Haker-Flaten for the latest AALY/DKV disc. Haker-Flaten is a tamer player both in terms of approach and the playing). Vandermark sounds quite fired-up, much more so than in most other settings, when he's playing with Gustafsson.

(I think it'd be a safe bet that J.A.W would not enjoy their music as it's my recollection that he digs neither Vandermark nor Gustafsson)

Haker-Flaten is a tamer player both in terms of approach and the playing

I haven't heard Peter Janson at all but Ingebrit is a monster player and isn't at all tame live or on any of the recordings I've heard him on.

His technique is stunning and always gives his bass a real physical work out. Check his work with Atomic, The Thing, Schooldays or Petter Wetre Trio

Edited by Clunky

I have heard both (Flaten in School Days, Atomic, The Thing. The Electrics, Free Fall). If it came out as disrespect, it certainly wasn't intended as I also enjoy his playing, but in this context the more extravert approach of Janson works better. They are both very fine musicians and players.

When are we going to get back to Funny Rat? Sometimes you people really get off topic. How do you think the Brotzmeister and the uberHanosan would feel if they came to check out their thread?

Improvisation is in the nature of this thread ;)

(I think it'd be a safe bet that J.A.W would not enjoy their music as it's my recollection that he digs neither Vandermark nor Gustafsson)

You're absolutely right, Gokhan. Welcome to the board, by the way!

Thank you. Hi all!

Welcome gnhrtg!

Nice handle - it will take me some time to memorize the letter sequence.

As for Funny Rat album - all this out stuff sounds the same anyway - just plain noise. So it does not matter which one we discuss -it's all Funny Rat.

As I mentioned, I am getting my copy as soon as we rich 1400 posts on this thread (mid- to late- may, I assume).

You're welcome to call me Gokhan; this happens to be the handle I use elsewhere and thought it best to keep it. I don't even know how I can refer to you, by the way - no way I'm experimenting with my keyboard to find where that symbol is.

Gokhan,

I don't think Д.Д. would mind if you'd refer to him as "D.D." (Д.Д. is Cyrillic for D.D.) B) ^_^

Guest Chaney

How do you think the Brotzmeister and the uberHanosan would feel if they came to check out their thread?

mildly irritated that someone referred to them as "the Brotzmeister and the uberHanosan"? :)

:g:g

Welcome to the thread AND the board, Gokhan!

:party:

You're welcome to call me Gokhan; this happens to be the handle I use elsewhere and thought it best to keep it.  I don't even know how I can refer to you, by the way - no way I'm experimenting with my keyboard to find where that symbol is.

Gokhan,

I don't think Д.Д. would mind if you'd refer to him as "D.D." (Д.Д. is Cyrillic for D.D.) B) ^_^

All these well-educated Dutchmen...

Sure, D.D. is fine - and so is David.

ubu - I happen to be listening to it as I type this and "Hidden in the Stomach" is a great disc. Especially nice renditions of other folks' tunes, "Song for Che" in particular. Peter Janson is a great bass player with a big tone and he has a couple of excellent solos/introductions to tunes as well (a shame he was replaced by Haker-Flaten for the latest AALY/DKV disc. Haker-Flaten is a tamer player both in terms of approach and the playing). Vandermark sounds quite fired-up, much more so than in most other settings, when he's playing with Gustafsson.

Hi Gokhan, and welcome to the funny rat!

Thanks for your comment on AALY! I sure dig Haker-Flaten (have two of The Thing's discs on Crazy Wisdom), now Janson does interest me after reading your post! I shall look if that disc is still around.

ubu

ubu - If that one isn't around "Live at the Glenn Miller Cafe" (Wobbly Rail) is as good if not better. Their last outing, "I Wonder if I was Screaming" (Crazy Wisdom)I would rate, if I had to, below those two, a tad less exciting and fewer spine tingling moments. I haven't heard "Stumble" (Wobbly Rail) but that is also a live date and should be quite good from what I've heard of others' opinions (incidentally, if anyone comes across this, please pick-up a copy for me and I'll gladly pay you for it or if anyone wants to sell their copy please send me a pm).

Edited by gnhrtg