Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

How would it be if these free jazz guitar noodlings weren't performed on electric guitar but instead on acoustic guitar? Maybe it's just the powered end that offends, much like electric bass as opposed to acoustic?

Sorry to disappoint you, but no, I don't like acoustic guitar at all, at least not in jazz. Classical: OK, blues: great, but not in jazz.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not that I haven't had my share of metal records and nights of practicing Vai/Petrucci licks. The thing is I have an aversion to lots of additional paraphernalia and the dry electric/acoustic guitar sound really would not fit in well in most of the all-out-blowing free-jazz contexts. One then has a special approach and sound as do Joe Morris and Derek Bailey, for instance.

Brass and reed instruments have sustain but to get sustain out of a guitar you need distortion (or, worse, e-bow) and then you need mostly need effect pedals to get unusual sounds, and it's not a percussive instrument as piano so you can't really bang on the guitar, so to speak. Of course, many might make it work but I'll say that what I've listened and my taste in this music make it less likely that I'll appreciate it.

There's nothing wrong with additional equipment but I don't like its use as, for instance I don't like overdubbing.

Hans, you are obviously unwell, so I designed a redical treatment course for you. To be administered until you go into feedback.

In the morning:

c310572xe8l.jpg

Throughout the day:

lr386-387.jpg

And in the evening:

B00000DI03.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

During insomnia:

B000020690.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

On weekends and national holidays:

B0000009T2.03.LZZZZZZZ.gif

O.K., I've put aside my current fixation on Echo and the Bunnymen and listened to Clusone 3: Rara Avis. Very good music on this cd, with Ernst Reijseger being especially creative on the cello. In fact, it is Reijseger that Hans Bennink and Michael Moore are playing off of. He can make the cello do anything and has a beautiful touch and sound. There is a very interesting treatment of Jobim's O Pato, a free-jazz samba. It keeps the samba feel, but the beat floats freely (just confirms what a genius Jobim was). Many quotes from other songs in the music, sort of a "Mocking Bird" ethos to the solos at times. I must admit though, Bennik can get on my nerves with his "humor" at times -- he's just his typical self, throwing in everything, including the kitchen sink. Cd also has a very gracefull feel to it, with one song easily flowing into the next, almost like a suite to describe bird life as felt by the trio. Worth getting if you find a copy somewhere.

I still have An Hour With... to go, so, sorry Ian, you'll have to wait awhile until I can get back to you.

For the moment, the only deceptive one is the KEVIN NORTON'S LIVING LANGUAGE: INTUITIVE STRUCTURE.

Like I say, I like the drummer much. But this live session is absolutely borring from start to end althought NORTON has surrounded him with good to great musicians like LOUIE BELOGENIS, THOMAS ULRICH and JOHN LINDBERG.

Simply said: nothing happens from the beginning to the end during this concert.

Absolutely nothing.

Oh, Intuitive Structures is OK. Not great, mind you, but OK. I liked the louder bits with Norton on the kit, the vibes stuff less so. Belognis is pretty good on it, though. I still don't really like Ulrich very much though.

Dunmall...well, one of these days, maybe. He's someone I neither collect nor avoid.

The only guitarists I like in jazz (though in small doses) are guys like Tal Farlow, Jimmy Raney, Sal Salvador, René Thomas, and Kenny Burrell.

Not even Django? Or Wes? I suppose my recommendations of Keiji Haino have had no impact? Wow. I pressed the 'Quote' button but I think I should have hit 'Report!' ;)

The only guitarists I like in jazz (though in small doses) are guys like Tal Farlow, Jimmy Raney, Sal Salvador, René Thomas, and Kenny Burrell.

Not even Django? Or Wes? I suppose my recommendations of Keiji Haino have had no impact? Wow. I pressed the 'Quote' button but I think I should have hit 'Report!' ;)

Of course, how could I forget Wes! He's one of my favourites. Thanks for reminding me ;)

a local store is selling a copy of Sergey Kuroykhin's Some Combinations of Fingers and Passion, for a dirt cheap price. Less than $10 US.

If it is indeed out of print, and anyone here wants to have a copy, I can buy it for you and do a trade, or perhaps cost + postage.

Edited by Geoff

Picked up a used copy of Roscoe Mitchel / Brus Trio: After Fallen Leaves. Which is better than AMG gives it credit for. I don't thing the Brus Trio is as bad a AMG makes out. Granted it doesn't supply too much fireworks, but it's not left for dead either. A very nice remake of Sing is included on the cd, and Mitchel is wonderful as usual. Each time I hear Mitchel it gets deeper in my brain that this guy is a fantastic musician. I'm just trying to convince myself to buy his Solo 3 release.

Listening to this one again as I type, and it is really, really, good (how's that for a review ;) ). Mitchel is just a very creative musician. The cd won't knock you flat, but it will stay with you thoughout the day.

a local store is selling a copy of Sergey Kuroykhin's Some Combinations of Fingers and Passion, for a dirt cheap price. Less than $10 US.

If it is indeed out of print, and anyone here wants to have a copy, I can buy it for you and do a trade, or perhaps cost + postage.

Geoff -

I would love to hear this disc! I sent you an email. Let me know if it didn't get through.

Today I bought 3 (first hand) Hatology albums for a nice price of $7.50 US (approx) each.

The albums I got were

Ray Anderson, Han Bennink, Christy Doran - Cheer Up

Marc Copland Trio - Haunted Heart & Other Ballads

Carlos Zingaro & Peggy Lee - Western Front Vancouver 1996

Geoff -

I would love to hear this disc! I sent you an email. Let me know if it didn't get through.

I'm totally out of money.

I spent all my money at this store.

They were selling all free jazz albums for $7.50 new.

I bought stuff from Hatology/Hat[now]art/Hatart/Victo/Leo/Intakt!!

So now my life savings is $0.

I'm just glad I still live at home, or otherwise I'd be on the streets with not a penny!

They also have a copy of Morton Feldman's For Bunita Marcus on Hatart, another lovely album.

Geoff -

I'm just glad I still live at home, or otherwise I'd be on the streets with not a penny!

They also have a copy of Morton Feldman's For Bunita Marcus on Hatart, another lovely album.

So does this mean you have gone from making the offer to spending all your money in 6 minutes? That is quite impressive, even by Funny Rat standards! ;)

Geoff -

So does this mean you have gone from making the offer to spending all your money in 6 minutes? That is quite impressive, even by Funny Rat standards! ;)

it is still in the store, I'll have to skip lunch tommorow to buy it for you.

It is such a great album, I'm very willing to do this for you.

Geoff -

Get two, get two!!!!!

Geoff -

I was just kidding about the six minutes, I wish there was a store like that one in this area!

Geoff -

Get two, get two!!!!!

oops sorry D.D.

I actually had another copy of it!

But to think I gave it away to a friend for free as a gift!

Edited by Geoff

Geoff -

I was just kidding about the six minutes, I wish there was a store like that one in this area!

where is your area.

I've forgotten where you are from.

I know D.D and King Ubu are from Europe.

Aren't you from somwhere in America.

I sent you an email, begging for you buy me something from VHF records in exchange for the Sergey Kuryokhin (VHF records offer their album for areally cheap price of $9 for a cd!)

Edited by Geoff

Of course, how could I forget Wes! He's one of my favourites. Thanks for reminding me ;)

Speaking of Wes, how much of his live stuff has had any kind of circulation? I have one live LP on Charly which has a fantastic version of Here Comes That Rainy Day. The whole recording has a little bit more life about it than the Riversides I have heard, even the live (Tsubo [?]) Riverside.

Geoff -

where is your area.

I've forgotten where you are from.

I know D.D and King Ubu are from Europe.

Aren't you from somwhere in America.

I sent you an email, begging for you buy me something from VHF records in exchange for the Sergey Kuryokhin (VHF records offer their album for areally cheap price of $9 for a cd!)

Geoff -

I live in a fairly rural section of the U.S. I had been spoiled by living in Boston for years, so the lack of good music stores bothers me.

I'll place that order from VHF (as well as something for myself, I'm guessing) in the next day or so.

Matthew, I first somehow thought you were referring to the new Mitchell's 3-CD solo set.

From DMG regarding new Boxholder stuff:

COSMOSAMATICS - Three (Boxholder 041) Featuring Sonny Simmons on alto sax & English horn, Michael Marcus on baritone sax & saxello and Jay Rosen on drums & percussion. This is actually the fourth Cosmosamatics disc counting their live date on Bleuregard from last year. 'Three' is half studio and half live and yes, there is no bassist. This allows their wonderful drummer to concentrate on a few different functions and he really does a great job. When I caught the quartet version at a recent Visions Club date, it was Jay that impressed me the most with his riveting drumming. Both Sonny and Michael split up the writing with a fine cover of Monk's "'Round Midnight'. A number of these tunes feature the English horn (an oboe-like double reed) and saxello (rare sax in between the soprano & alto in range) playing those hypnotic middle-eastern harmonies. Jay swings his tush off on "Tonal Magnitudes", which provides Sonny's alto and Michael's saxello ample time to play some spirited solos. Jay plays a different groove on each piece, creating the entire rhythm team support beneath both reeds giants. This is not a heavy duty blow-fest, but rather a calmer, more relaxed vibe, with strong playing, but little or no screaming. Both Sonny and Michael have strong and passionate tones on both reeds and both play with imagination and slow burning energy for this entire modern jazz treasure. Dedicated to NASA's Mars Mission satellite to bring hope for a better future. Amen.

CD for $14

RAPHE MALIK / JOE McPHEE / DONALD ROBINSON - Sympathy (Boxholder 045) Featuring Raphe on b-flat & c trumpets, Joe on soprano sax & pocket trumpet and Donald on drums, a studio date from October of 2002. 'Sympathy' is another strong trio date like the above mentioned Cosmosamatics disc with no bassist involved, yet just as magical as one could hope for. You probably know of Raphe Malik from his fire-breathing trumpet with Cecil Taylor and half dozen great discs on Eremite, FMP & Boxholder. No doubt you know of that multi-horn hero from upstate NY, Joe McPhee, who's been a local legend for about 35 years. You might remember bay area drummer Donald Robinson from his work with Larry Ochs and Glenn Spearman. This cd is dedicated to Raphe's mother Theresa who had recently passed away and there is a beautiful and sad aura surrounding this enchanting offering. The trio play with such exquisite elegance on the opener, "Testament", that it just takes my breath away. This is certainly the most lyrical and touching trumpet playing I've ever heard from Raphe. There are a few duo sections where the drums and trumpet or the drums and soprano take off for the stratosphere and never look back. There are also pieces where both trumpeters swirl around one another in a well-connected display of cosmic spirits. Another enchanting treasure from Boxholder.

CD for $14

an update from Dennis Gonzalez:

"Just heard from Clean Feed Records this morning. They expect delivery of the N Y Quartet CD N Y Midnight Suite in Lisbon this Thursday...at which time my copies will be shipped to me, and then from me to those of you who have ordered (and paid).

The other bit of news is that today I sent off the tapes and artwork for the next daagnimRecords CD from Dennis Gonzalez's Inspiration Band (bassist Henry Grimes's first recording since coming back to the world of jazz, along with Roy Campbell, Jr. on trumpets and flute; Mike Thompson on drums; and Sabir Mateen on reeds and flute!). It's called Nile River Suite and should be ready by the last week of May! It's a killer CD recorded in NY the same weekend as the N Y Quartet's CD."

I will be ordering both of these discs in early June. They both look very exciting to me!