Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Also, sounds like the music was very muscular. True? If yes, was it all elbows? Composed / structured? Loose? Lots of improv?

It was muscular, but not overly so. There was some intricate and varied writing, incluing solos (I assume solos were 80% scripted).

I don't have any of the other Barry Guy large band projects (neither do I have anything by London Composers Orchestra, which was (is?) directed by Guy). But I know that soon I will have A LOT of Guy's CDs...

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also, sounds like the music was very muscular. True? If yes, was it all elbows? Composed / structured? Loose? Lots of improv?

Regarding composed vs. improvised parts, Д.Д. and I both had the impression that maybe even the solos were written - or at least preconceived or developped during practicing or performing.

It was not all muscular - there were some rather beautiful moments, too, some lyrical stuff, one it reminded me of Mingus' "Self Portrait in Three Colours".

You know, if I had so much hair, it would get between the music and my big ears - actually I'd like to have at least one second pair of ears, would have been very useful during the Parker set! ;)

Hope this music gets released.

Parts of the Zurich concerts will be broadcasted on swiss radio, parts of the basle shows on german radio. I shall try to record it all, and if there's lots of Guy (I wonder how they could NOT broadcast that set in its entirety! Would be sacrilege to fade this out!!)

I heard that "Inscape Tableaux" was great, but I don't have it.

I checked Intakt website and well, Inscape-Tableaux has the same band, but with Marylic Crispell instead of Fernandez (anf thinking baout it now, they are pretty close in style, aren't they?):

http://www.intaktrec.ch/guyneworchestra.htm

Next purchase is a no-brainer, he-he.

... I know Hans Koch played what sounded like three bass clarinets simultaneously (does anyone here happen to know him or the Koch-Schütz-Studer trio?) [...]

I saw them in concert about three weeks ago...

and?

Hey, c'mon Alan, tell us some more!

I have two of their discs (picked up both of them dirt cheap in that used store I told you about, Д.Д.) "Heavy Cairo Traffic" (on Intuition):

kss_heavy_cairo_traffic.jpg

And the Intakt release "Fidel":

cuba00.jpg

The first one is a collaboration with egyptian musicians that I found very good, stunning in moments, and it's incredbile that it does work - but that has to do with them not trying to create any "fusion", but trying to have both styles flowing along each other.

The "Fidel" disc is a collaboration with cuban musicians, and I think it's a bit less successful.

Here's the Intakt-blob:

On the new Intakt-CD "FIDEL" KOCH-SCHUETZ-STUDER carry on the adventure they began with "HARDCORE CHAMBERMUSIC" and "HEAVY CAIRO TRAFFIC". Again acoustic instruments and modern technology are confronted. The meeting with eighteen traditional and improvising Cuban musicans, in the recording studio in Havana led to extraordinary results.

The trio KOCH-SCHUETZ-STUDERÕs love for the polyrhythms of Afro-Cuban music is evident, and the enthusiasm and musical openess of the Cubans is brilliant. Comparable to film technics, KOCH-SCHUETZ-STUDER worked on the tapes recorded in Havana and formed the final compositions.

With great skill they inject Afro-Cuban music and jazz improvisation with electronical sound worlds and rythmical expolsions.

ubu

I HAVE to get all this Koch stuff.

ubu, keep me in mind next time you visit this store.

-----------------------------------------------

Now, our friend ubu gently but firmly insisted that I listen to Lacy-Cox-Humair CD called Work (Sketch, 2002), and man, is this a great work. Warm, humorous and imaginative music. And what a sound -this might be one of the best-.sounding CDs I have. Get it, if you still for some reason don't have it (indiejazz has it for $12: http://www.indiejazz.com/ProductDetailsVie...x?ProductID=91)

Edited by Д.Д.

I HAVE to get all this Koch stuff.

ubu, keep me in mind next time you visit this store.

-----------------------------------------------

Now, our friend ubu gently but firmly insisted that I listen to Lacy-Cox-Humair CD called Work (Sketch, 2002), and man, is this a great work. Warm, humorous and imaginative music. And what a sound -this might be one of the best-.sounding CDs I have. Get it, if you still for some reason don't have it (indiejazz has it for $12: http://www.indiejazz.com/ProductDetailsVie...x?ProductID=91)

Glad you like it! :tup

It is sounding incredibly good, yes!

And I love Humair, absolutely.

I will have my eyes open when I go to that store, but except for some recent (copy controlled) Blue Notes, it has never happened so far that I saw a disc I bought there again, later...

ubu

Guest Chaney

I MUST sit down and order me up some music. Maybe a few Silkhearts and a few Intakts (Inscape / Tableaux) and an assortment through Indie Jazz (so Work is not at all bad, eh? ^_^ Maybe also a couple of nuscopes.)

I :wub: this thread!

I MUST sit down and order me up some music.  Maybe a few Silkhearts and a few Intakts (Inscape / Tableaux) and an assortment through Indie Jazz (so Work is not at all bad, eh?  ^_^  Maybe also a couple of nuscopes.)

:wub:  this thread!

Don't forget, Tony - Ned Rothenberg -"The Crux" (Leo).

Edited by Д.Д.

Inscape / Tableaux is a very good disc - both powerful and intense playing as well as the beautiful piano/bass interludes. Some nice session photos as well, Guy's excepted. If you're ordering Intakt's you might also want to get "Double Trouble Two" (w/Crispell and Schweizer) and "Theoria" (w/Crispell) if you are interested in Guy's large ensemble work (these are both with the LJCO). I've recently acquired these two myself and have given them lots of spins since.

... I know Hans Koch played what sounded like three bass clarinets simultaneously (does anyone here happen to know him or the Koch-Schütz-Studer trio?) [...]

and?

...and Koch-Schütz-Studer gave an excellent concert. It was in a West Philadelphia non-profit art gallery that's been hosting a couple jazz concerts a month. It was pretty much a full house for the gallery, which is about maybe 50-70.

The playing ranged from very free, to occassionally melodic, with a bit of metal thrown in.

Martin Schutz was all over the place -- playing the cello with a stick through the strings. He alternated acoustic and electric cello and did some electronic manipulation. He got a laugh when he threw some objects off his table to musical effect.

The drummer, Studer, did some playing with what looked like a metal wire (as well as more usual mallets and sticks).

Koch was into sound manipulation, usually playing a single note through his sax which he altered tonally both acoustically and electronically. He seemed to enjoy making noise with a semi-spherical control attached to his laptop.

I bought two of their CDs at the show -- the Egyption one mentioned below (which I haven't heard yet) and "Harcore chamber music" which was the only trio record they offered that didn't have guest musicians. It's a good representation of their music.

It was a very nice show, which the crowd enjoyed as well. I did some sketching during the show. Sometime later I might scan a fairly abstract drawing I did of Schutz.

Edited by alankin

Guest Chaney

Anybody heard this one?  Rules of Engagement, Vol. 1 - Duval / Whitecage (Drimala)

You probably already know this but if not, you can listen to over half the album on DRIMALA'S SITE.

Sounds pretty good to me.

Anyone familiar with...

ZenWidow.jpg

Zen Widow (EVANDER MUSIC 022)

Gianni Gebbia - alto, flute

Matthew Goodheart - piano

Garth Powell - percussion

I see it mentioned HERE but is doesn't seem to be listed on the Evander site. Actually, as Gebbia's site notes: 2004 ZEN WIDOW with G.Powell and M.Goodheart - cd Evander Music Oakland ca., it may be on the way. Hard to tell as the Evander site seems to be out of date, what with there being numerous dead links.

I'm going to send an e-mail to Evander asking about the status of this release.

Be sure to check out the Evander site. Some interesting sounds with generous sound samples available - at least on the functioning links. (Have a listen to Graham Connah and Jettison Slinky samples - a 3 CD set selling for $12! Some tune titles? Send in the Maureens. Watching Paint Dry. the band is over but the t-shirt lingers on. bathe in the spray of the spittle. :g )

ON THE EDIT: And then I find this:

April 22, 2004

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Mississippi Studios and Various Artists

present

ZEN WIDOW

Gianni Gebbia: Saxophones-Flute (Sicily)

Matthew Goodheart: Piano (Bay Area)

Garth Powell: Percussion (Bay Area)

plus: John Gross|Doug Theriault|Tim DuRoche (Portland)

Sunday, May 9, 8 pm

Mississippi Studios (3939 North Mississippi in Portland)

Admission: $10

Mississippi Studios and Various Artists are pleased to present a fantastic evening of improvised music on SUNDAY, MAY 9 at 8 pm at Mississippi Studios (3939 North Mississippi in Portland), featuring ZEN WIDOW, an allstar ensemble made up of one of Europe's great free music players GIANNI GEBBIA from Sicily and Bay Area innovators MATTHEW GOODHEART and GARTH POWELL-on tour to support their first CD Zen Widow for the Bay Area-based Evander Music label.

Opening the evening will be a Portland-based summit meeting of three distinct, compelling improvisers: powerhouse saxophonist JOHN GROSS, experimental guitarist DOUG THERIAULT, and ragtime-to-no-time drummer TIM DuROCHE, all in all an exceptional sampling of some the Left Coast's most wide-ranging creative musicians in the lush environs of one of Portland's best sounding venues.

ZEN WIDOW-Background

"The Zen Widow Trio of Gianni Gebbia (saxophones), Matthew Goodheart (piano), and Garth Powell (percussion) is a marvelous construct. Blessed with real character and always just the next moment away from creating more delicious riddles. They marshal an incredible diversity of sounds, both real and implied ( :huh: ), into tightly focused gems which are never less than fascinating and strangely perfect. Possessed of a natural fire and remarkable sense of intuition they are a testament to the virtues of deep listening and the practice of instant composition when in the able care of three master improvising musicians." -Brad Winter (Creative Music Guild)

Edited by Chaney

and?

...and it was an excellent concert.

:tup

Thanks for the review Alan!

And post your sketch when it's ready.

Edited by Д.Д.

Anyone familiar with...

Zen Widow (EVANDER MUSIC 022)

Gianni Gebbia - alto, flute

Matthew Goodheart - piano

Garth Powell - percussion

Great news (if it is really relased)! I will send an e-mail to Gebbia and see what the status of the CD is. If and when it is released, I hope it will end up at indiejazz website.

and?

...and it was an excellent concert. It was in a West Philadelphia non-profit art gallery that's been hosting a couple jazz concerts a month. It was pretty much a full house for the gallery, which is about maybe 50-70.

The playing ranged from very free, to occassionally melodic, with a bit of metal thrown in.

Martin Schutz was all over the place -- playing the cello with a stick through the strings. He alternated acoustic and electric cello and did some electronic manipulation. He got a laugh when he threw some objects off his table to musical effect.

The drummer, Studer, did some playing with what looked like a metal wire (as well as more usual mallets and sticks).

Koch was into sound manipulation, usually playing a single note through his sax which he altered tonally both acoustically and electronically. He seemed to enjoy making noise with a semi-spherical control attached to his laptop.

I bought two of their CDs at the show -- the Egyption one mentioned below (which I haven't heard yet) and "Harcore chamber music" which was the only trio record they offered that didn't have guest musicians. It's a good representation of their music.

It was a very nice show, which the crowd enjoyed as well. I did some sketching during the show. Sometime later I might scan a fairly abstract drawing I did of Schutz.

Alan, sounds like an excellent concert you heard!

I never heard them live. I think the Penguin gives "Hardcore Chamber Music" a pretty good rating.

ubu

btw, I transferred my "Inscape-Tableaux" Minidisc to CDR this morning, and listened to pts 1-5 on my way to work - it is excellent! Longer lyrical passages than in the concert we heard/saw, and while I think Crispell and Fernandez do have a similar touch, Crispell is much sparser, in general.

My CDR includes a 10-minute interview (over the phone, I think, and translated, so actually it's not that long) with Guy as a bonus (I got the whole thing over the air, they broadcasted the whole album shortly before it was released).

ubu