Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

f67226l1y2q.jpg

I am currently enjoying this Cd thanks to your recommendations a little while back.

Great playing all round the strong bass goes together nicely Brotzmann's playing.

Does this trio still get together?

Great stuff . Thanks guys.

Glad you enjoyed it, Gary.

I am not sure whether this trio is still together, but they recorded quite a few CDs (3 at least). I am about to receive this one (it's on Slask records):

slacd019.jpg

I don't know how different it is from "Nefertiti" though, since it is recorded on the day after it ;)

I'll report.

actually I bought a few of the titles that seemed to stand out of the first few pages or so of this thread & enjoyed them all , though some have taken longer to get around my ears as others(forgive my poor discriptions)

e696085isp9.jpg

This one grabbed me straight away, coincidently listening to a broadcast of Evan Parkers 60th birthday with one of the trios on this disc that led me to look for recommendations on this thread. So i knew what to excpect - & its great.Barry Guys bass playing stands out for me on disc 2 while Evan sounds magnificent through out.

e26123zhvt1.jpg

It took me a couple of plays to get used to Kondo's trumpet playing but it certainly hit home when it did ,he sounds here like top quality electric Miles to me (sorry if its a lazy comparison but its the only one I know).

cecil-taylor.jpg

What a beautiful CD - A constant flow of music/melodies that floats past your ears . Fantastic.

e13959fsvew.jpg

This is one I'd thought I'd 'get' straight away because of the Ayler reference but it took a couple of listens , instead of Ayler it reminds me a bit of Joe McPhee playing Ornette ( I hope I'm not going to get slaughtered here).

f69330fxmrt.jpg

Another peach! This man certainly sounds unique & i found it to be an exciting & challenging CD.

f06070gjmb9.jpg

This caught me by the biggest surprise , I was expecting lots of noisy saxaphones when I bought all these ! But this has added another dimension to my collection .

Another one with strong bass I need to be in the right mood for this one , but when I am its another challenging & enjoyable listen.

e87400fm1rk.jpg

Im listening to this know & its taking a few listens for to enjoy it but its getting better with each listen , another challenging CD to get my money's worth from. Strong bass anyone??

Thanks for opening some new doors for me with your recommendations .I would ask for more but now I'm well & truely SKINT!

Edited for terrible spelling

Edited by Gary

Hans, what's your feeling on Vintage Duets vs. Back Together...?

As you might have noticed, I feel that while Back Together... is SINOW, Vintage Duets is far superior...

I wouldn't go that far, but I agree that Vintage Duets is the better album. I have a few problems with Back Together Again. To my ears Steve McCall is not only a more interesting player on the former than Hamid Drake on the latter, but, like I said before, Drake's also way too prominent in the mix. Anderson is great on both albums, but on Back... he sometimes sounds a bit tired (for want of a better description), as if he's running around in circles - 'round Drake, that is ;). I wouldn't want to be without Back..., though.

Recommended, with an excellent Ellery Eskelin (though a few tracks are a bit long):

Dennis González - NY Midnight Suite - Clean Feed

020.jpg

:tup

Also recommended, but sadly OOP:

Evan Parker / Barry Guy / Paul Lytton - Imaginary Values - Maya

Guest Chaney

After just one listen, I found NY Midnight Suite to be ( ^_^ ) SINOW.

Early going though so my opinion may very likely change.

PS: Is Eskelin ever less than wonderful? :wub:

After just one listen, I found NY Midnight Suite to be ( ^_^ ) SINOW.

Early going though so my opinion may very likely change.

PS:  Is Eskelin ever less than wonderful?   :wub:

Please note that I didn't say highly recommended ;)

It's definitely not in my (highly virtual and very volatile) personal Top-5.

Edit: perhaps I should have said: recommended because of Ellery Eskelin ^_^, though that wouldn't be fair to Dennis.

Edited by J.A.W.

Nice post, Gary!

A lot has been said about these CDs already, but I would just like to add that for me it is Kondo's unique playing that makes Die Like A Dog so fascinating.

"Die Like a Dog" typifies creative "jazz" interaction at its very best for me, and I rank it up there with KOB and Mingus' "Antibes"...

--------------------------------------

And btw, if you enjoyed Evan Parker and Anthony Braxton CDs, I am pretty confident that this one will make you extatic:

B0000281UG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Edited by Д.Д.

Guest Chaney

OK guys, I've listened to this one again:

Günter Müller & Lê Quan Ninh - La Voyelle Liquide - Erstwhile

010_cat.jpg

and I don't like it.

What's so good or special about it, or is it just a feeling that's hard to explain? You seem to like it all very much.

I've only heard this one twice. I'll have another listen -- the always revealing THIRD listen -- within the next couple days and post some babble.

I've had a third listen and would like to flip-flop and join Hans.

75 minutes of sounds completely devoid of warmth or humanity.

Jon Abbey: Can you shed some light on the intentions or musical goals of the men who cretaed this music? I'm having trouble understanding why talented artists would choose to spend their time and energies creating these types of (to my ears) inhuman soundscapes.

ICE%2BCUBE.jpg

" typifies creative "jazz" interaction at its very best for me, and I rank it up there with KOB and Mingus' "Antibes"...

he-he ;)

ubu, have you heard "Little Birds..."?

Nope, just a broadcast from Willisau 1998. Hamid Drake, Kent Kessler, the trumpet man and the Brotz.

ubu

ubu, both volumes of "Little Birds . . ." by that quartet should be given a hearing, definitely - and then you decide whether you like them; I do. Nice liner notes and pictures, as well.

Thanks! I'll put them on the "list"... maybe next year the budget will allow :w

75 minutes of sounds completely devoid of warmth or humanity.

Jon Abbey: Can you shed some light on the intentions or musical goals of the men who cretaed this music? I'm having trouble understanding why talented artists would choose to spend their time and energies creating these types of (to my ears) inhuman soundscapes.

it's all in the ear of the behearer, my man. when I first heard Ornette Coleman's classic Atlantic quartet work, I thought it was hideous and couldn't understand what anyone saw in it. a couple of years later, not only did I think it was drop-dead gorgeous, but I couldn't understand how I could have ever thought anything else. similarly, I used to listen to a lot of the artists and labels you guys discuss on this thread, I was as deeply into this scene as any of you. now, I have zero interest in 99 percent of this stuff, it all just sounds to me like it's being spoken in the language of a previous generation (not trying to instigate or looking for fights, I was asked for my opinion, and I'm simply trying to explain).

there's plenty of info, reviews, interviews with those guys (particularly Gunter) on the web, and David Toop's new book Haunted Weather also explores a lot of the ideas behind this relatively new area of improvised music, I'd definitely recommend reading that to help answer your above questions.

this music isn't for everyone, no music is. I will say that in my experience, if you do break through and start to understand what the musicians are trying to accomplish, it's extremely difficult to go back to listening to any of the music you previously did in the same way.

The question was what eai musicians are trying to accomplish or their aesthetics. Sure, you were asked for your opinion and can answer it any way you like - but having the close communication that you do with many of the musicians, you could have provided a bit more substance. Later, perhaps.

What makes you think anyone is looking for fights relating to different styles of music any more than you are?

The question was what eai musicians are trying to accomplish or their aesthetics. Sure, you were asked for your opinion and can answer it any way you like - but having the close communication that you do with many of the musicians, you could have provided a bit more substance. Later, perhaps.

What makes you think anyone is looking for fights relating to different styles of music any more than you are?

Excellent post, Gökhan. I was going to post a more heated reply, but yours is better.

previous experiences on Jazz Corner, I'm guessing.

J.A.W. -

have you explored the eai discussions over at JC? There are some great discussions both pro and con, especially if you read the Check Your Ego threads in the archives.

Edited by John B

"The question was what eai musicians are trying to accomplish or their aesthetics. Sure, you were asked for your opinion and can answer it any way you like - but having the close communication that you do with many of the musicians, you could have provided a bit more substance. Later, perhaps."

it's a huge area, different musicians are trying to accomplish different things. there's tons of info on the web, much of it written by me (as John pointed to) if people are genuinely interested. I also don't really think I should speak for musicians.

"What makes you think anyone is looking for fights relating to different styles of music any more than you are?"

not saying anyone is, just trying to stop anything before it starts. I'm hardly looking for a fight, simply stating my viewpoint. my experience is that when you state a viewpoint that goes directly against the general conventional wisdom of a group of people, some tend to react strongly, which is where some of my ongoing confrontations on Jazz Corner stem from. I'm attempting to nip any of that in the bud before it starts, and simply try to explain my position.

Edited by jon abbey

J.A.W. -

have you explored the eai discussions over at JC?  There are some great discussions both pro and con, especially if you read the Check Your Ego threads in the archives.

Thanks for the tips, John, but right now (having read Jon's post) I've had enough.

Edited by J.A.W.

switching back to jazz, for a minute:

e319421xjgg.jpg

I finally got a chance to hear this, thanks to Geoff. I'm having a lot of trouble finding time to listen to music today, so have not yet made it past the first track, but I am already loving this disc! Great playing and I am really looking forward to sitting down with some time to really pay attention to this.

:tup:tup:tup

I assume this was a bit of a tongue-in-cheak question, but seeing a bit of contreoversy that followed, I will add my view on this matter.

I am not sure there should be any intention other than creating music (or inhumane soundscapes, if you wish). Does music necesserily has to convey human emotions? - I don't think so.