Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

:tup Now playing:

Larry Ochs/Joan Jeanrenaud/Miya Masaoka - Fly Fly Fly (Intakt 092) 2004

-- Larry Ochs: tenor and soprano saxophones / Jean Jeanrenaud: cello, sampling / Miya Masaoka: koto, electronics

Twisted free jazz, avant garde, chamber music?

Also, a bit jewish, isn't it?

Great disc.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:tup   Now playing:

Larry Ochs/Joan Jeanrenaud/Miya Masaoka - Fly Fly Fly (Intakt 092) 2004

-- Larry Ochs: tenor and soprano saxophones / Jean Jeanrenaud: cello, sampling / Miya Masaoka: koto, electronics

Twisted free jazz, avant garde, chamber music?

Also, a bit jewish, isn't it?

Great disc.

I didn't notice a Jewish element, but maybe I missed it. What did you notice? Was it Ashkenazi or Sephardic style?

On the other hand, there definitely seems to be a Jewish element in this recent reissue:

g32820kqn7y.jpg

Shelly Manne - Steps to the Desert: Modern Jazz Versions Of Favorite Jewish & Israeli Songs (Contemporary) May 11

-- with Shorty Rogers, Teddy Edwards, Victor Feldman, Al Viola, Monty Budwig

-- recorded in 1962; originally called "My Son the Jazz Drummer"

-- includes four previously unissued bonus tracks

^_^

Edited by alankin

Guest Chaney

mutable.jpeg

MUTABLE WITNESS (lIMItEd SEdItION 009)

recorded by J. Wright 12/3/98.

2 tracks, 51 minutes, limited to 92 numbered copies.

Jack Wright- saxophones; John Shiurba-guitar;

Karen Stackpole-percussion; Damon Smith-contrabass

:tup

This one has a wonderful quiet intensity about it. I found myself (not easily, at first) drawn in and, as it's mostly very quiet, hardly breathing so as to not lose the thread.

If anyone's interested, this one's nearly sold out so you'd better act fast.

(A crappy-sounding sound sample can be found HERE.)

jackshair.jpg

Guest Chaney

Ive gone decided to go down the dried road rather than the funny one after reading the last few posts.

I believe you've made a wise choice Gary. :tup

In the past two weeks, I've made four attempts at Duos for Doris, and I can't even make it through the first disk. This music is a complete blank for me, I don't even know how I'm supposed to listen to it. Maybe that the whole point of this kind of music -- to change the way I listen....

MUTABLE WITNESS (lIMItEd SEdItION 009)

recorded by J. Wright 12/3/98.

2 tracks, 51 minutes, limited to 92 numbered copies.

Jack Wright- saxophones; John Shiurba-guitar;

Karen Stackpole-percussion; Damon Smith-contrabass

I am more and more interested in Jack Wright's music - the man has a truly unique approach.

There is an interesting article on Wright in paristransatlantic magazine: http://www.paristransatlantic.com/magazine...apr_text.html#1

He also has his own lable Spring Garden Music.

Edited by Д.Д.

Recommended, with an excellent Ellery Eskelin (though a few tracks are a bit long):

Dennis González - NY Midnight Suite - Clean Feed

020.jpg

I'm going to have to get this Cd , I enjoy what I've heard of Ellery Eskelin & every time I've seen it mentioned it has a :tup near it.

There is an interesting article on Wright in paristransatlantic magazine: http://www.paristransatlantic.com/magazine...apr_text.html#1

There's also a great interview of Burton Greene in the May 2004 section of the Paris Transatlantic Magazine in that link!

brownie, have you heard his latest solo record on Drimala? I am curious about it.

brownie, have you heard his latest solo record on Drimala? I am curious about it.

I have not heard that one. As a matter of fact, I have not heard a new Burton Greene album in a long time. Which one would you recommend?

I'll have to dig up his Columbia LP. A very nice album I have not played recently.

Cecil Taylor Quartet (w/Oxley, Guy, Parker) - Nailed.

He-he, Tony has Nailed.

I had a girlfriend last year who after heaving heard a brief fragment of Nailed told me absolutely serioulsy she had to reasses here relationships with me, since "normal" people can't enjoy music like this.

Nothing really changed of course, since she had had some suspicions before and Nailed was just a further confirmation of her findings.

:lol:

glad mine has never been THAT tough on me! (My sister has, but then she can't stop being my sister, can she? ;) )

ubu

Guest Chaney

In the past two weeks, I've made four attempts at Duos for Doris, and I can't even make it through the first disk.  This music is a complete blank for me, I don't even know how I'm supposed to listen to it.  Maybe that the whole point of this kind of music -- to change the way I listen....

I believe I'll give this one another spin today. (Not a good sign though when I find myself slightly dreading the experience. As Jon has said: eai is not for everyone. I believe I may be finding my place in the not for camp.)

OF INTEREST: Bagatellen Feature: HILL ON EAI

Edited by Chaney

I have not heard that one. As a matter of fact, I have not heard a new Burton Greene album in a long time. Which one would you recommend?

I'll have to dig up his Columbia LP. A very nice album I have not played recently.

I haven't heard any Burton Greene stuff in fact. But I am curious.

One cd that I've been enjoying the past couple of weeks is: Borgmann/Morris/Charles Trio: The Last Concert - Dankeschon (Silkheart). It's the last recording that Denis Charles did with this trio before he passed away, and it's very good. Charles has a way of driving the music forward that's great; Thomas Borgmann is creative and controlled in his approach. If you see it, don't be afraid to pick it up. Think I'll have to check out the Charles/Jemeel Moondoc cd that's I see all the time.

One cd that I've been enjoying the past couple of weeks is: Borgmann/Morris/Charles Trio: The Last Concert - Dankeschon (Silkheart). It's the last recording that Denis Charles did with this trio before he passed away, and it's very good. Charles has a way of driving the music forward that's great; Thomas Borgmann is creative and controlled in his approach. If you see it, don't be afraid to pick it up. Think I'll have to check out the Charles/Jemeel Moondoc cd that's I see all the time.

Absolutely get the Denis Charles - Wilber Morris - Charles Tyler trio (there are several CDs (2 or 3) on Bleu Regard label).

Guest Chaney

Inspired by David's response to Tony's "rejected" thread, I'll listen once again to the Collective 4tet's Live at Crescent and see if it's grown on me... or not. :rfr

Yesterday and today, I've been listening to Peter Brötzmann - Chicago Octet / Tentet - 3CD, Okkadisk

e88398mjdsx.jpg

I'm not sure yet what to think of this set, it has some great music but also KV and MG - though I find them not as obtrusive and annoying here as on other albums. I'll have to listen to it again.

Opinions?

Edited by J.A.W.

J.A.W. - you know what my opinion of the Tentet discs are. But again you and I seem to listen for different things, whatever they are, in most avant-jazz music so my liking them might not be the best of signs there. However (this is not for you but for those who might be curious) the 3 discs as a whole are quite listenable and proive a firm rhythmic anchor; all-roaming-free-blowing tunes/sections are more like in the minority here.

(By the way since it's been mentioned here a number of times, I wonder whether you have listened to Barry Guy New Orchestra's Inscape/Tableaux as I find that to be a quite good exemplar of how Mats' unique style can be drawn upon selectively to make the music richer as a whole and add color.)

Listening to the disc 2 of the Jimmy Lyons box.

Now we are talking! :tup

Amazing playing, simply amazing.

well maybe its time I put CD2 in my player , it'll have to wait a few more minutes so I can finish listening to this again

cecil-taylor.jpg

it gets better & better with every listen.

J.A.W. - you know what my opinion of the Tentet discs are. But again you and I seem to listen for different things, whatever they are, in most avant-jazz music so my liking them might not be the best of signs there. However (this is not for you but for those who might be curious) the 3 discs as a whole are quite listenable and proive a firm rhythmic anchor; all-roaming-free-blowing tunes/sections are more like in the minority here.

I listened to discs 2 and 3 again and you know what - I hate to admit it ;) - KV and MG don't bother me at all here. It's a great set (listened to disc 1 a few times a couple of weeks ago) and one of the cornerstones of avant / free / whatever in my opinion; it should actually be listened to in one sitting to fully get the musical picture. It's a shame it's OOP.

I listened to discs 2 and 3 again and you know what - I hate to admit it ;) - KV and MG don't bother me at all here. It's a great set (listened to disc 1 a few times a couple of weeks ago) and one of the cornerstones of avant / free / whatever in my opinion; it should actually be listened to in one sitting to fully get the musical picture. It's a shame it's OOP.

Well, I am relieved :g

J.A.W. - good to hear you enjoyed the discs, in fact from what you say you might just happen to like them as much as I do. As I said, I will post short impressions of the latest two in a couple of days here. Meanwhile, I'd just like to note that "Short Trip to Nowhere" is also quite good and has one of the strongest grooves ever on the first track.

For those who might be interested - The new V5 is ok. I now have jotted down enough notes to fill a page, will likely post a review tomorrow (at my other hang-out). I found Bishop to be the most impressive soloist overall followed closely by Rempis, who sounds very comfortable in his solo on the up-tempo-swing fourth track. Vandermark's solos sound much more convincing when he sticks to what he does well. Anyway getting late and my writing is getting less coherent by the minute I think. Lovely ballad, though.

For those who might be interested - The new V5 is ok. I now have jotted down enough notes to fill a page, will likely post a review tomorrow (at my other hang-out). I found Bishop to be the most impressive soloist overall followed closely by Rempis, who sounds very comfortable in his solo on the up-tempo-swing fourth track. Vandermark's solos sound much more convincing when he sticks to what he does well. Anyway getting late and my writing is getting less coherent by the minute I think. Lovely ballad, though.

Can you provide a link to your review please?

I think Bishop is the star of KV5.

What do you think of the bonus Kirk disc?