Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

D.D. - I received them last week but I happened to receive about another dozen discs (oops) so haven't got to them yet. I will report in a couple of days, though. Meanwhile, (having listened to only the first disc, a number of times, yet) the Atomic/School Days disc is quite good. High-energy jazz with some very nice tunes - what you would expect from these two bands. I'm especially impressed with Wiik and Love so far and the overarching style here is quite fitting to Vandermark's strengths in improvising.

Edited by gnhrtg

Meanwhile, (having listened to only the first disc, a number of times, yet) the Atomic/School Days disc is quite good. High-energy jazz with some very nice tunes - what you would expect from these two bands. I'm especially impressed with Wiik and Love so far and the overarching style here is quite fitting to Vandermark's strengths in improvising.

Love is great, but I am not a particulalry big fan of Vandermark. I've bean meaning to chaeck Atomic for some time now, so I'll probably start with the stuff they did without Vandermark...

Universal Japan reissues including the Holland-Phillips duo:

http://www.universal-music.co.jp/jazz/hardcore_jazz/

Hardcore jazz... hmm...

I'll go for Milford Graves, Derek Bailey, Pharoah Sanders and Baden-Baden Free Jazz Orechestra (sounds the most intriguing - look at the band!: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...=Acx6m962okep7) as well (through Hiroshi Tanno).

Edited by Д.Д.

D.D. - I received them last week but I happened to receive about another dozen discs (oops) so haven't got to them yet. I will report in a couple of days, though. Meanwhile, (having listened to only the first disc, a number of times, yet) the Atomic/School Days disc is quite good. High-energy jazz with some very nice tunes - what you would expect from these two bands. I'm especially impressed with Wiik and Love so far and the overarching style here is quite fitting to Vandermark's strengths in improvising.

BTW, Gokhan where did you get them from?

Universal Japan reissues including the Holland-Phillips duo:

http://www.universal-music.co.jp/jazz/hardcore_jazz/

Hardcore jazz... hmm...

I'll go for Milford Graves, Derek Bailey, Pharoah Sanders and Baden-Baden Free Jazz Orechestra (sounds the most intriguing - look at the band!: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...=Acx6m962okep7) as well (through Hiroshi Tanno).

I have the Holland-Phillips, Pharoah and the Music Improv Co. All fine disks. :wub:

Guest Chaney

Tony, have you listened to the lIMItEd SEdItION stuff? I just litened to the CD (CD-R, to be exact) optimistically called Spotted Dick, and I think it's pretty amazing.

I have seven of the lIMItEd SEdItION titles and thus far I've been mostly disappointed. (I don't have Spotted Dick. :w ) This lot reminds me of The Social/Science Set (The Beak Doctor 5 & 6): the musicianship is pretty impressive but the music leaves me cold.

I'll spin one or two today and complain... er... post further.

NATE!  You're brutal!  :g

PS:  Thanks guys for the FMP recommendations!

ON THE EDIT:  :winky:

I think the thread is shrinking.

I though it best to not prolong discussion on that particular topic.

Edited by Chaney

Tony, have you listened to the lIMItEd SEdItION stuff? I just litened to the CD (CD-R, to be exact) optimistically called Spotted Dick, and I think it's pretty amazing.

I have seven of the lIMItEd SEdItION titles and thus far I've been mostly disappointed. (I don't have Spotted Dick. :w ) This lot reminds me of The Social/Science Set (The Beak Doctor 5 & 6): the musicianship is pretty impressive but the music leaves me cold.

I'll spin one or two today and complain... er... post further.

Tony, do you have Vinny Golia and Damon Smith ones? - these two are the most "jazzy" LS releases, and are easy to enjoy.

Meanwhile, (having listened to only the first disc, a number of times, yet) the Atomic/School Days disc is quite good. High-energy jazz with some very nice tunes - what you would expect from these two bands. I'm especially impressed with Wiik and Love so far and the overarching style here is quite fitting to Vandermark's strengths in improvising.

Love is great, but I am not a particulalry big fan of Vandermark. I've bean meaning to chaeck Atomic for some time now, so I'll probably start with the stuff they did without Vandermark...

Hmm, I think it's time for me to reassess my Octet / Tentet discs; haven't listened to them for ages. The presence of both Vandermark and Gustafsson might be a bigger problem for me than before...

Ahh... FMP. I own far too few FMP releases. (Mostly just Cecil Taylor.)

Anyone feel that they own enough FMP titles to have an opinion as to the ratio of hits to misses?

I can recommend some titles I enjoy but your question about the ratio hits-and-misses was a different one, I thought. As in, would the surprise I experience be pleasant or unpleasant if I were to buy an FMP title at random? If I were you I would ask around here and check the review sites before buying. I always do this and although have traded-out some FMP titles in the past, am yet to be downright disappointed.

From what I can recall others have said, I can add my vote for

Keith Tippett - Mujician I & II

Die Like a Dog - Little Birds Have Fast Hearts vols. 1 and 2 (under Brotzmann)

if you like your music bombastic and intense then also,

Cecil Taylor Quartet (w/Oxley, Guy, Parker) - Nailed

Hmm...there should be many others, of course (at least some large ensembles) but these three (or four) do demonstrate the wide variety of music found on the label.

Cecil Taylor Quartet (w/Oxley, Guy, Parker) - Nailed.

He-he, Tony has Nailed.

I had a girlfriend last year who after heaving heard a brief fragment of Nailed told me absolutely serioulsy she had to reasses here relationships with me, since "normal" people can't enjoy music like this.

Nothing really changed of course, since she had had some suspicions before and Nailed was just a further confirmation of her findings.

Guest Chaney

Tony, do you have Vinny Golia and Damon Smith ones? - these two are the most "jazzy" LS releases, and are easy to enjoy.

I have Eight By Nine, Toad In The Hole, Mutable Witness, Win This Time, Liverpool (Bluecoat) Concert, PISS and New Millenium Orchestra.

None have yet made it to my GET THIS CRAP OUT OF MY APARTMENT! pile so all is not lost.

Sorry to appear hyperactive today but one more I really enjoy is

Irene Schweizer & Marilyn Crispell - Overlapping Hands...Eight Segments (this is a two piano duo with each segment exploring another motivic, ryhtmic, or technical (as in a way to play) idea - nothing bombastic about this and I really enjoy hearing them tossing around ideas and how quickly they are to pick-up on such ideas).

And, again, I made mention of Misha Mengelberg's solo piano disc "Impromptus" earlier but I would not recommend that to anyone who is not a fan of Misha, nor would I choose it as an introduction.

Edited by gnhrtg

Guest Chaney

Cecil Taylor Quartet (w/Oxley, Guy, Parker) - Nailed.

He-he, Tony has Nailed.

I had a girlfriend last year who after heaving heard a brief fragment of Nailed told me absolutely serioulsy she had to reasses here relationships with me, since "normal" people can't enjoy music like this.

Nothing really changed of course, since she had had some suspicions before and Nailed was just a further confirmation of her findings.

No doubt about it: you are a freak. :rfr

As I didn't care for Nailed, can I get that gal's phone number?

:rsmile:

Guest Chaney

Hmm, I think it's time for me to reassess my Octet / Tentet discs; haven't listened to them for ages. The presence of both Vandermark and Gustafsson might be a bigger problem for me than before...

I have a feeling that your sale list might soon expand. :w

Come on people, some things are sacred.

Not that there are lots of large-ensemble recording floating around in mainstream jazz either but they are especially rare in this vein of music - working bands in particular - so I try to cherish my Tentet recordings (not that I need to try, I think all kick major booty - the only one I don't have is Broken English)

Come on people, some things are sacred.

Not for me - except for freedom and democracy, that is, but that's another subject that doesn't belong here :)

Edited by J.A.W.

Not that there are lots of large-ensemble recording floating around in mainstream jazz either but they are especially rare in this vein of music - working bands in particular - so I try to cherish my Tentet recordings (not that I need to try, I think all kick major booty - the only one I don't have is Broken English)

Gokhan, do you have Brötzmann's The März Combo: Live At Wuppertal (on FMP)?

This is also a Brötzmann tentet, but a totally different one:

Toshinori Kondo: trumpet

Werner Lüdi: reeds

Larry Stabbins: reeds

Peter Brötzmann: reeds

Paul Rutherford: trombone

Johannes Bauer: trombone

Nicky Skopelitis: guitar

Caspar Brötzmann: guitar

William Parker: double bass

Anton Fier: drums

Casper, Peter's son, is a very talented and original guitarist, btw.

Edited by Д.Д.

D.D. - you got me there, no I don't have that, I should have said Chicago Octet/Tentet (plus two, whatever!).

The line-up looks good, the brass section in particular - I really like hearing Rutherford play. What, and has Wener Ludi as well; though I tend not to enjoy guitar in free settings I might give this a try if only for the unique line-up.

Highly recommended:

Peter Brötzmann / Joe McPhee / Kent Kessler / Michael Zerang - Tales out of Time - hatOLOGY (latest version)

g27517unkw1.jpg

:tup

Yes, very nice!

He performed the spiritual "Blessed Assurance" (which is on the above album) as his last piece at his March 26th solo performance in Philadelphia.

:tup Now playing:

Larry Ochs/Joan Jeanrenaud/Miya Masaoka - Fly Fly Fly (Intakt 092) 2004

-- Larry Ochs: tenor and soprano saxophones / Jean Jeanrenaud: cello, sampling / Miya Masaoka: koto, electronics

Twisted free jazz, avant garde, chamber music?

092.jpg

Edited by alankin