Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

The last record of MARTIAL SOLAL I have bought was the magnificent TRIANGLE on JMT (I think it's OOP) from 1995.

A complet masterpiece (in trio with MARC JOHNSON & PETER ERSKINE - what a drummer when he doesn't play crap music.)

Oh yes, this is a good stuff. Most definitely. Excellent sound, also.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

B00006FR6G.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Had a listen to this one, love the three Taylor tracks! They have a loose feeling I miss on some of his other early stuff (namely the Candid sessions). Great treatment of that Billy Strayhorn tune!

Also just finished listening to this one:

bc4.jpg

Not the easiest music to listen to, but I think it's quite a fascinating disc. Combine the deceptively simple yet tricky Lacy tunes with Gustafsson at the most complex and exploring... out comes a disc that's about as much about sounds and noise as it is about Lacy's music. That is not meant in a negative way.

Had a listen to the above-pictured Delbecq-Houle disc, not sure about it yet.

Right now listening to the Rob Scheps-Zach Brock webcast I linked above. Solid mainstream jazz, a bit on the unusual side with violin in the frontline.

Then: Geoff: I finally had a listen to your improvisation, and HELLYEAH! Keep goin'!

Just got this new Atlantic Jazz Masters reissue of Max Roach "Drums Unlimited" - only on the second track, so cannot comment on music (...actually I can - I it GOOD), but can comment on sound quality - impecable.

B0001K2K98.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Also got "Ornette!" and "The Avant-Garde" in the same series. All dirt-cheap from amazon.fr

Hope they reissue more of those.

The last record of MARTIAL SOLAL I have bought was the magnificent TRIANGLE on JMT (I think it's OOP) from 1995.

A complet masterpiece (in trio with MARC JOHNSON & PETER ERSKINE - what a drummer when he doesn't play crap music.)

Oh yes, this is a good stuff. Most definitely. Excellent sound, also.

Listened this one again, and can only highly recommend it. That's the way a modenrn piano mainstream trio is supposed to sound. Johnson and Erskine are excellent (to my surprise - I had somehow disregarded them as some bland mainstream craftsmen), and Solal is simply amazing - witty, energetic, virtuosic, full of elegant and unorthodox ideas. Perfectly recorded Steinway piano, btw. This CD is OOP, so don't put off buying it for too long. I got my copy through market seller at amazon.fr for quite reasonable price.

B000024JFA.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

But enough of pretty music - I am off to my "favorite" Saturday activities - apartment cleaing and laundry - and there is only one band that can adequatly inspire me for this:

B000000H64.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Edited by Д.Д.

I will report on "Wing Vane" once I get to it. Looks great, though.

"Drums Unlimited" I have in a strnage older version from 1988, labelled Atlantic, Warner, and EastWest Japan depending from which side you look at it.

About "Triangle", I got a burn of that (as well as the Soulnote "... Mars" disc that was album of the week some time ago), and like both of them very much, but haven't listened to them as often as I should.

I have the same tendency to disgrade Johnson & Erskine, however, I picked up this very nice Erskine disc last year:

B00004UAU5.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It came out on Novus, orignally, but in 99 Erskine reissued it on his own Fuzzy Music label (I think it's his own, not sure). It features Johnson and Kenny Werner as the basic rhythm trio, and added soloists include Lovano (often in quartet), Scofield (only on three tracks, one in quartet, one with Lovano and Randy Brecker), and on one track Bob Mintzer and Randy Brecker, Lovano & Sco. The disc is great, if you find it, don't hesitate! Kenny Werner is another highly competent "contemporary piano trio" man. I just recorded parts of his concert at this years "Jazz à Ramatuelle" off French radio, and hey, that man is good! All of them players that are often too easily dismissed, I think.

ubu

Why the fuck are all of you cleaning? Are you so dirty? And what about your domestics?  ;)

Go read the shoelace thread in the Misc. Forum and you'll understand.

By the way, there's a tune on Secret Treaties call Cagey Cretins. Mayby I could rename this thread that?

:rsly:

You're a nut-job, David.

I'm now cleaning to the dulcet sounds of:

Bluesecr.jpg

:rsmile:

Enjoy your cleaning, Tony. I am not sure about the quality of your effort with an audio background like this, though.

I am not done cleaning, but fuck it. Going for somehting equally "fun" - grocery shopping! If my mp3 player was charged, while shopping I would have been listening to:

B000002JOI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Why the fuck are all of you cleaning? Are you so dirty? And what about your domestics?  ;)

Go read the shoelace thread in the Misc. Forum and you'll understand.

By the way, there's a tune on Secret Treaties call Cagey Cretins. Mayby I could rename this thread that?

:rsly:

:lol:

I read about your ironing shoelaces... pretty adventurous guy, you!

ubu :P

By the way, there's a tune on Secret Treaties call Cagey Cretins.  Mayby I could rename this thread that?

This will undoubtedly invite participation of more board members.

:g

got some nice additions to my growing collection thanks to a nice fellow right now reading the rat... had a listen to snippets of Zorn/Lewis/Frisell's "News For Lulu" (hat) and hey that one's good! A nice addition to the Sonny Clark Memorial album (Soulnote), and quite a bit less mainstream-ish than that one.

thanks!

Amazing thing just happened.

A guy rang on my door, showed some ID and asked whether I have a radio or a TV. I said no (true). Then the guy asked whether I have a car - I said yes (also true). The guy (visually relieved) said - "aha, you gotta have a radio in the car!" - I said that I certainly do (I am in a very honest mood today). Elated, the guy told me that I gotta pay Sfr. 14 (price of CD, btw) per month[ of some radio tax and virtuosically fast filled in some 2-page form and left it with me. Was slightly disappoited I don't have a TV, though (I offerd a fridge, but he was not convinced).

Amazing country.

Amazing poeple also - the guy must have been dreaming all his childhood to become a radio tax colllector.

Now, I agree with ubu - why the fuck did I decide to clean this morning!? Didn't help my apartment much, but kept me in apartment long enough to get cought by this wonderful man. I am outta here!

Oh yeah, the guy left me a 50-page brochure... explianing societal rationale for the tax, I assume - will have an exciting reading tomorrow.

Amazing thing just happened.

A guy rang on my door, showed some ID and asked whether I have a radio or a TV. I said no (true). Then the guy asked whether I have a car - I said yes (also true). The guy (visually relieved) said - "aha, you gotta have a radio in the car!" - I said that I certainly do (I am in a very honest mood today). Elated, the guy told me that I gotta pay Sfr. 14 (price of CD, btw) per month[ of some radio tax and virtuosically fast filled in some 2-page form and left it with me. Was slightly disappoited I don't have a TV, though (I offerd a fridge, but he was not convinced).

Amazing country.

Amazing poeple also - the guy must have been dreaming all his childhood to become a radio tax colllector.

Now, I agree with ubu - why the fuck did I decide to clean this morning!? Didn't help my apartment much, but kept me in apartment long enough to get cought by this wonderful man. I am outta here!

Oh yeah, the guy left me a 50-page brochure... explianing societal rationale for the tax, I assume - will have an exciting reading tomorrow.

:lol:

things like that happen... most everyone I suppose knows about those taxes and just pays. However, it seems many only pay the radio, and have a tv nevertheless. There have been some publicity campaigns (on tv and in movie theaters) to make people pay them dreaded taxes.. couln't you convince that nice fellow that you only need the car radio to listen to CDs? ;)

...couln't you convince that nice fellow that you only need the car radio to listen to CDs? ;)

Yeah, I should have dragged the guy to my car, lock him in and expose him to the music I have there (Brötzmann's "Nipples" - that's what I have in my car stereo right now) at full volume - with glasses vibrating and all.

...couln't you convince that nice fellow that you only need the car radio to listen to CDs?  ;)

Yeah, I should have dragged the guy to my car, lock him in and expose him to the music I have there (Brötzmann's "Nipples" - that's what I have in my car stereo right now) at full volume - with glasses vibrating and all.

Damned menace!

You'll PAY your radio tax and LIKE IT!

AND TURN DOWN THAT DAMNED NOISE!

~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, I'm a responsible adult (not at all neurotic!, thank you!) and assisted by the good Captain, my cleaning continues.

13665f.jpg

By the way, there's a tune on Secret Treaties call Cagey Cretins.  Mayby I could rename this thread that?

This will undoubtedly invite participation of more board members.

:unsure:

:g

perhaps we should start a seperate "aggresive music to clean the house to" discussion. Before I was married I used to play things like Mogwai Fear Satan (a 16+ minute track) or Metallica's Master of Puppets while cleaning. Tool's Lateralus was another good one for that, too.

I can't imagine having to pay a tax on a radio. I never listen to the ones I have.

If you haven't heard Isis' Oceanic or Mastodon's first full album, I'm forgetting the name right now, you should do so asap.

Edited by John B