Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

The Things other Crazy Wisdom CD has Joe McPhee is also recommended but I probably prefer the earlier disc mentioned by HRH Ubu :tup

mcphee_joem_sheknows~_101b.jpg

Listened to it yesterday - makes for good birthday morning listening... but yes, I think I too prefer the one without McPhee.

ubu

Listened to this one today. I was expecting something more intellectual and experimental from Gustafsson and McPhee, actually. This is esentially a classical free jazz scream-fest - 35 years too late, no? Of course it's fun to hear Gustafsson's mighty baritone wailing (very impressive from strictly lung-power point of view), but we hear it again and again the same way here. And McPhee's trumpet playing is also not particulalry original here, IMO.

The best thing for me is Paal Nielson-Love's stunnig drum work - souinded like more muscular version of Rashied Ali to me, and that's good.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The last record of MARTIAL SOLAL I have bought was the magnificent TRIANGLE on JMT (I think it's OOP) from 1995.

A complet masterpiece (in trio with MARC JOHNSON & PETER ERSKINE - what a drummer when he doesn't play crap music.)

After some search - finally

"...Nous venons de vous envoyer la commande numйro 736-7030900-8230762.

Elle vous sera livrйe par avion dans un dйlai de 7 а 15 jours.

Vous trouverez ci-dessous le bon de commande.

Nous vous souhaitons bonne rйception et а bientфt.

Cordialement,

Claire

Caiman Amerique

Quantitй Produit

-------------------------------------------------------------

1 Triangle [CD audio] Martial Solal Trio; Peter Erskine; Marc Johnson

From the Leo Records website - 4 more tittles going OOP.

CD LR 122 - The Marilyn Crispell Trio: Live In Zurich is sold out

CD LR 153 - Cecil Taylor: Chinampas is sold out

CD LR 208/209 - The Ganelin Trio & the Rova Saxophone Quartet : Sun Francisco Holidays is sold out

CD LR 305 - Parker / Guy / Lytton / Schlippenbach / Lovens : 2 x 3 = 5 is sold out

I don't have any of those (all except Crispell were on THE LIST for a long time), but all look good. Gotta start the hunt again.

Edited by Д.Д.

according to AMG you are correct. This disc iconsists of Taylor "reciting his poetry while accompanying himself on timpani, bells, and small percussion."

I think I can safely skip this disc.

You should all check out the review on AMG. I have a new favorite Thom Jurek quote:

"As an artist Mr. Taylor has gone where few have gone before him, let alone succeeded; this is what he is used to. But he may have surprised even himself in the sheer musicality of his mystical universal tome."

according to AMG you are correct. This disc consists of Taylor "reciting his poetry while accompanying himself on timpani, bells, and small percussion."

Given that my favorite track on Maneri-Maneri-Phillips ECM disc ("Tales...") was the one where Joe recites a poem in mysterious language, I am curious. Really.

I'm spending the day going through Tim Berne's Empire Box again. I'm enjoying this set more each time I listen to it. So far I've listened to the first two discs, which are, in their original incarnations: The Five Year Plan, with John Carter, Vinny Golia, Glenn Ferris, Roberto Miranda, Alex Cline and Berne and 7x, with John Rapson on trombone in place of Glenn Ferris and Nels Cline on guitar in place of John Carter's clarinet.

Very highly recommended, especially at the dirt-cheap Screwgun direct price.

The last track on 7x, Showtime, is just killing me right now. It swings like crazy, while having a real R&B gutbucket sensibility to it. Of course, it still has that Time Berne / Cline brothers sound to it.

Edited by John B

I'm listening to disc 3 of the set right now. Spectres, from 1981, features Berne with Olu Dara, James Harvey, Ed Schuller, John Lindberg and Alex Cline. This is a fantastic lineup, and they definitely deliver a solid album. I'm kind of surprised to see a track being dedicated to Hamid Drake 23 years ago. I didn't have the sense that he had recorded all that much, or was all that well known outside of Fred Anderson's circle, by '81.

Coincidentally, I was enjoying John Carter Octet's "Dauwhe" (Black Saint) recently - fantastic disc, from all aspects. Composition are very elaborate (and refreshingly cliché-free) - but not too dry or academic. I haven't read the booklet (I am actually not sure there is one), but I understand this is a part of a suite dedicated to black people, and you do feel a sense of epic and drama in the music, but without bombast and pomp.

Great soloing also, particularly from Carter himself on his ultra-fast wicked clarinet, and from James Newton on his very pretty baroque flute... Newton might be the most accomplished flutist in improv music I've heard... Burtt all musiccians are good - there is also very musical drummer (or drummers) there who contribute a lonmg and exciting percussion piece, and the baasist (Roberta Miranda) has a vey nice sound. And there is tuba!

Good, good stuff.

f77111iffzd.jpg

Coincidentally, I was enjoying John Carter Octet's "Dauwhe" (Black Saint) 

This disc has been on my list for a very long time. It is a shame that this suite of recordings are so difficult to track down. I only own one of these, Fields, on cassette, and it is very, very good.

Edited by John B

Placed an order for Ayler's "Holy Ghost". $19 for shipping to Switzerland.. and probably a bit of taxes when it arrives (ubu, if you order it, don't forget to mark it as "gift")... still hsould be cheaper than getting it here in Europe.

Where did you order it? You think you won't need to pay any custom or tax shitte?

CD Universe.

If you mark it as "gift" the tax is calculated from the lower base. Total tax should not be morwe than 10-15 Sfr.

Tell me once you get it, please! It's a bit steep anyway for my current financial situation...

Shit I just went ahead and pre-ordered that damn thing! (Did mark the gift box - we'll see how much those dreaded custom folks will want us to pay... and I wonder if they charge us with the same sum!)

ubu

Coming back to a few of those:

B0000047DC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Had a first listen to this one last night. I like the sound of the "classic" quartet, though it's a pity the tunes are all very short (maximum 4 minutes). That makes for much of it more being group music, with only short solos. They're all in fine form, though, and it's great to hear those four guys together again, after so many years.

Not sure about the electric stuff. I have never really gotten into electric Ornette. The benchmark - sorry if that sounds stoopid! - the benchmark for electric jazz, for me, is still what Miles did in the Seventies, and these tracks by Ornette and his group just sound tame and almost commercial in comparison. I have a single CD by Ronald Shannon Jackson's band ("Barbeque Dog"), and I'd compare it to that sound. Also it reminds me of the very few M-Base things I've heard occasionally... and I never got into that, either...

B000059M0O.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This, on the contrary, is the real thing. Free funk at its best, far from the formulaic stuff the Ornette guys or Jackson do... see my comments on this above.

B000005J4R.03.LZZZZZZZ.gif

This one's plain beauty! Highly recommended! Introverted versions of some of Monk's best tunes.

So much for that, now on to Geoff's thing (thanks to D.D. for reminding me about it).

ubu

I'm finishing up listening to Tim Berne's Empire Box today. Discs 4 and 5 are both from Songs and Rituals in Real Time, which features a smaller group of musicians than the past three albums. Berne is on alto, Mack Goldsbury on tenor and soprano, Ed Schuller on bass and Paul Motian is on drums. To compensate for the stripped down ensemble, these discs feature the longest songs, by far, of the set, with both tracks on disc 5 breaking the 25 minute mark. Great music, even though I prefer some of the earlier, larger ensembles.

enj9416.jpg

Listening to this one.

Here's the write up from the Enja Records website:

Nils Wogram trombone, comp

Chris Speed tenor sax, clarinet

Hayden Chisholm alto sax

Cuong Vu trumpet

Steffen Schorn baritone sax, bass cl

Jochen Rückert drums

Simon Nabatov piano (on CD 2)

Henning Sieverts bass (on CD 2)

total time: 37'24 / 53'54

rec. Aug 2000

Order No. ENJ-9416 2

release date: August 13, 2001

CD 1 (Sextet): 1. Children's Hunt (8:55) 2. Mayamalaragaula (4:25) 3. Tea Time Part 1 (6:31) 4. Tea Time Part 2 (2:46) 5. Spring Part 1 (5:27) 6. Spring Part 2 (4:09) 7. Ganamurti (5:05) CD 2 (Octet): 1. The Search Part 1 (5:56) 2. The Search Part 2 (7:01) 3. New Neighbour (13:00) 4. Peace Above (3:08) 5. Piano Interlude (2:27) 6. Constant Travel (5:24) 7. Muffin (5:40) 8. Floating (7:29) 8. Odd And Awkward (3:36)

28-year-old Nils Wogram has been recognized internationally as the new master on his instrument. Based on classical training, he aims at playing the jazz trombone with the fluency and flexibility of a saxophone while developing an individual concept of composing and ensemble playing. A multi-prize winner, he was awarded the 1996 International Frank Rosolino Memorial Scholarship for Jazz Trombone (USA), a composition award from the 1997 Inter-national Julius Hemphill Competition (USA), the 1998 SWR Jazz Award and many more. Wogram was a classical soloist for Krahnenbaum Company, performed as a leader at the ENJA 25th Anniversary Festival in New York and recorded and toured with his own quartet as well as with other successful acts like Underkarl, Jazzkantine, the Jazz Baltica Ensemble, and the NDR Big Band. Wogram's quartet CDs received highest ratings (Rolling Stone: 4½ stars, Concerto: 4½ stars, Fono Forum: 4 stars). British Jazz Journal wrote: "If you've been wondering about the state of young, contemporary European jazz talent recently, look no further - and enjoy!"

The music of "Odd And Awkward" took its start when Wogram was commissioned by Triennale Cologne to present his artistic visions with four different bands in two days. While the octet was cleverly formed around his working quartet (Wogram, Nabatov, Sieverts, Rückert), the sextet (without piano and bass) is more like a brass band - with a warm and transparent sound, sometimes reminding of film scores and cool jazz coloring. Wogram the composer drew his inspirations from very different sources such as French composer Eugène Bozza, Brazilian bandleader Hermeto Pascoal, East European folk music and Raggamuffin grooves, but also from private anecdotes. Written with the individuals of the bands in mind (among them New Yorkers Chris Speed and Cuong Vu), this music's complex textures show Wogram's skills on a completely new level. The sextet will also be presented at PopKomm, the world's biggest music fair (Cologne, August 18), on the occasion of ENJA's 30th Anniversary.

I think it's pretty good. Much of the music in some way or the other rather organized, yet there is space for all of the musicians, and they're good!

ubu

Been listening to Anthony Braxton - Georg Grawe Duo [amsterdam] 1991, and I like it a lot. Grawe and Braxton blend very well together, giving each other good ideas to play off of, and Braxton, especially on cl. seem very creative. Grawe's short phrases seems very percussive and move the music along nicely. Good cd to pick up if you come across it sometime.

B000059M0O.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This, on the contrary, is the real thing. Free funk at its best, far from the formulaic stuff the Ornette guys or Jackson do... see my comments on this above.

Thinking about htis, there are not that many examples of free-fink, really ("Nation Time" of Joe McPhee is one of the gew exampes I can thing of; probably some of James Blood Ulmer projects; does Steve Coleman count? - probably not) - and that's a shame.

Thinking about htis, there are not that many examples of free-fink, really ("Nation Time" of Joe McPhee is one of the gew exampes I can thing of; probably some of James Blood Ulmer projects; does Steve Coleman count? - probably not) - and that's a shame.

From "Nation Time" I only heard the one track that is available for free download so far. Sounds great!

I guess the thing is that those who play music of that kind often tend to structure and organize their music in some way. That's why I wouldn't cound Steve Coleman as free funk. Also the ones like Gary Thomas or Terri Lyne Carrington, what they do often is so boring... competent jazz rock or whatever, but usually it just sounds dead to my ears.

The Thomas disc on the other hand is very much alive, very raw, chaotic, and fun. I think Defunkt can deliver that kind of music, even within the much narrower frame they usually have as they're playing tunes. I have a live recording of theirs (I missed that concert, was at a festival, and I went home being tired just before they played) that is great.

ubu

Here's a few I picked up today, in the same sale, only this time 3 franks a piece (around 2$):

FrancoisHoule-DiceThrown-g.gif

François Houle & Benoît Delbecq - Dice Thought (Songlines, 2002)

(this one's an SACD, doesn't help me any, but I couldn't choose at taht price...)

Urs Leimgruber - Jacques Demierre - Barre Phillips "Wing Vane" (Victo, 2001)

(sorry, no picture)

B00000IR6U.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Vandermark 5 - Simpatico (Atavistic, 1999)

(why not give that disc a chance at such a nice price...)

B00008JLA0.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

(Material Records, 2003)

(funny enough I find this while listening to a live recording of this same group on my minidisc player...)

B000008ONG.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

George Adams & Hannibal Marvin Peterson (Enja Weber, 1984, CD: 1994)

(this one was recorded in a legendary [before my days] jazz club "Bazillus" in Zurich)

B000055X1Y.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

(Koch, 2000)

Recently heard Johnston the first time, in a broadcast with Guy Klucevsek, I wonder what he'll sound like in a full band.

Trotignon2.jpg

(naïive, 2001)

cd-tinktur.jpg

Susanne Müller & Eliane Cueni, "Zut" (Brambus Records, 2001)

THen I finally got Dolphy's "Illinois Concert", and those folks sold it to me for the same incredible price of 3 Franks, although being part of another ongoing sale dedicated to Blue Note, I should have payed 15 for it (same for Lou Donaldson's Everything I Play Is Funky Raregroove). ALso got a Howard Rumsey disc for the dirtcheap price: "Music for Lighthousekeeping" (OJCCD) featuring Sonny Clark, Bob Cooper, Conte Candoli, Frank Rosolino and Stan Levey. Not very ratty, though...

ubu

Here's one for y'all:

Helmut "Joe" Sachse - Schraubenzieher (Screwdriver - Tango für Jaroslaw Hasek) 1.4 Mb mp3

rec. Sep. 1988, this is solo geeetarrr plus screwdriver for FX. purdy cool.

(if the link doesn't work, try right click-save or copy-pasting the linkaddress into the address bar)

thanks, John! fun stuff!