• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tropical Hot Dog Night, baby!!!!!

INDEED!

(You're not surfing the 'net while driving, are you? MENACE!)

Today is the first day I can drive legally (my license was returned in a pretty grey envelope yesterday with a message imploring me to ride according to the rules; now can you imagine riding accoridng to Swiss rules with NIPPLES blasting out of the windows - absurd!).

If you haven't heard Isis' Oceanic or Mastodon's first full album, I'm forgetting the name right now, you should do so asap.

Never heard of those. Will check out.

John, if you are still interested in "heavy metal", I would highly recommend Flotsam & Jetsam's "Cuatro". A bit close to Metallica stylisticaly (somewhere between "...And Justice for All" and "Black Album"), but with more interesting melodies (with less relience of catchy riffs), more inventive drumming and absolutely incredible vocal - great range and expressive pallette (but all with good taste, without pink tights bombast of "power" metal). For me "Cuatro" is up there with the classics like "Master of Puppets" or "South of Heaven" - I am surprised it never got as big.

Unfortunately, Cuatro is now OOP, but you should be able to get it used very cheap in the US.

B000008FNT.03.LZZZZZZZ.gif

Well, I'm a responsible adult (not at all neurotic!, thank you!) and assisted by the good Captain, my cleaning continues.

13665f.jpg

Tropical Hot Dog Night, baby!!!!!

Tony, I assume you have Captain Beefheart And The Magic Band - "I’m Going To Do What I Wanna Do: Live at My Father’s Place 1978" on Rhino Handmade. This is a concert from Bat Chain Puller era, and it smokes.

Tony, I assume you have Captain Beefheart And The Magic Band - "I’m Going To Do What I Wanna Do: Live at My Father’s Place 1978" on Rhino Handmade. This is a concert from Bat Chain Puller era, and it smokes.

Don't have it.

I own no Captain Beefheart. (Shiny Beast I borrowed from the library.) (I've never even heard Trout Mask Replica!)

As the Rhino is a limited edition, maybe I shouldn't delay?

Sometime in the future, I may pick up his pre and post-Mercury recordings. (The Mercs I'll bypass.)

Grow Fins looks interesting but from what I've read, meant more for the completist.

A few Beefheart recommendations, in more or less chronological order:

Safe As Milk - Buddha

B00002DF8F.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Trout Mask Replica - Reprise

B000005JA8.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Lick My Decals Off, Baby - Reprise (practically impossible to get at the moment; my Japanese reissue sounds fine :P^_^)

c14884g23n9.jpg

The Mirror Man Sessions - Buddha

B00002DF8E.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Spotlight Kid - Reprise

B000005JB4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) - Virgin

B000006XF4.03.LZZZZZZZ.gif

Doc at the Radar Station - Virgin

B000025JS6.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Ice Cream for Crow - Virgin

B000025JTQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Edited by J.A.W.

Don't have it.

I own no Captain Beefheart. (Shiny Beast I borrowed from the library.) (I've never even heard Trout Mask Replica!)

As the Rhino is a limited edition, maybe I shouldn't delay?

Sometime in the future, I may pick up his pre and post-Mercury recordings. (The Mercs I'll bypass.)

Grow Fins looks interesting but from what I've read, meant more for the completist.

Oh-la-la, no Captain Beefheart!!!!

"I'm Going to Do..." is already OOP, but I have a spare copy.

it is pretty essential, I would say. The repertoir mirrors Bat Chain Puller - but you also get the energy of a concert perfromance (and even listener can feel audience's supportive energy). You can probably find 10,000 more eloquant reviewes of it on-line, so I will not go too much into describing the music here - I would just note Beefheart's short soprano solo in "Veteran's Day Puppy". Every reviewer who writes about Beefheart likes to note that he could not really play soprano saxophone, and his "solos" were just copmbination of pretty random notes. I don't care. Beefheart's solo here (not even the whole solo, but the first opening notes) sends chills down my spine every time I listen to it, and transposes the emotion - and I tend to hear a a cry of eternal loneliness here, better than the most virtuosic reed solo of better techicinas. IMO, every sound is exactly where it is supposed to be and sounds the way it is supposed to sound. Probably not for nothing Anthony Braxton refered to him as "master composer and musician".

Also, let me note that Bat Chain Puller is porbably the least good of Beefhearts comebacl albums - both Doc At The Radar Station and Ice Cream for Crow are stronger. For me Beefhjeart's masterpiece is Lick My Decalls Off, Baby, but it is extremely difficult to find now.

Grow Fins is the only one I don't have yet, and I intend to get it. It is really pricy, but from what I know a large share of proceeds go to the Magic Band musiccins, and they definitely deserve it.

Edited by Д.Д.

Thanks Hans and David!

Re I’m Going To Do What I Wanna Do: Live at My Father’s Place 1978, before realizing that it was OOP, I had a look on eBay. Seeing the nice dough this once garners, I assumed I was too late. Looking on the Rhino site verified my assumption.

Oh well.

Ummm... David, my friend. What are your plans for that second copy? (If you're wise -- and I know you are -- you'll hold on to it for a couple more years and then put it up on eBay.)

Not by any means a Beefheart expert, I'm surprised to hear that Lick My Decals Off, Baby is currently unavailable. (NOT surprised though that Hans owns a Japanese-pressed copy. Yes, I hate you. -_- )

As my wallet is currently empty, I'll simply make a note of your recommendations. (You know I'm broke when I mention that I'm listening to library-borrowed music.)

I'm surprised to hear that Lick My Decals Off, Baby is currently unavailable.  (NOT surprised though that Hans owns a Japanese-pressed copy.  Yes, I hate you.  -_- )

David owned the Japanese reissue long before I did, so... ;)

... so I hate him more.

:P

:D

(I have this neurotic worry that Grow Fins will disappear just as I might be ready to take the plunge.)

A friend of mine, who's much more into Beefheart than I am, got rid of Grow Fins almost as fast as he had picked it up... He really, really hated it.

Edited by J.A.W.

There is an excelent Captain Beefheart music project called Fast'N'Bulbous led by Philip Johnston (Webpage) - excellent saxophonist and very skillfull arranger and composer, and featuring master guitarist Gary Lucas (from Captain Beefheart's last band). Thankfully no vocals, but very interesting re-interpretations of Beefheart's compositions with a lot of soloing (I remmeber being blopwn absolutely blown awayby the trombone player). Great and very tight band, they tour a lot - try to catch them live: exilirating experience guaranteed.

I checked - their next poerformance is on Frankfurt Jazz Festival in late October: LINK.

(I have this neurotic worry that Grow Fins will disappear just as I might be ready to take the plunge.)

A friend of mine, who's much more into Beefheart than I am, got rid of Grow Fins almost as fast as he had picked it up... He really, really hated it.

:o

That's disturbing to hear.

I believe I'll steer clear of this one - at least until I pick up the more essential releases. (And maybe even afterward.)

Pretty box, though.

Thanks Hans.

Grow Fins is for Beefheart completists, beautifully packaged but the material's not essential. it's actually pretty similar in that way to the Ayler box that Revenant is about to release, my friend who has an advance of Holy Ghost and I were talking about this the other day. you shouldn't even consider picking up either until you have at least five of the best individual records by that artist already.

John, get Shiny Beast, not only is it the best of the three comeback records (IMHO), but I think it stands with anything he ever did, including Trout Mask Replica (although comparing Beefheart records is apples and oranges a lot of the time).

John, get Shiny Beast, not only is it the best of the three comeback records (IMHO), but I think it stands with anything he ever did, including Trout Mask Replica (although comparing Beefheart records is apples and oranges a lot of the time).

No, no, no, it's Doc At The Radar Station which is the best of the three comeback albums!

Ah, get them all, they are all good.

it's actually pretty similar in that way to the Ayler box that Revenant is about to release, my friend who has an advance of Holy Ghost and I were talking about this the other day. you shouldn't even consider picking up either until you have at least five of the best individual records by that artist already.

This made me wonder...what would everyone consider to be the five essential Ayler discs to hear before buying Holy Ghost? I don't think I have ever heard five of his albums that I would consider "essential.". I know that any list would start with Spiritual Unity, but where to go from there? Off the top of my head:

1. Spiritual Unity

2. Live in Greenwhich Village

3. Bells

4. Love Cry

5. Witches and Devils

Any other choices?