Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

D.D.: that's the Enja Horst Weber label, the Winckelmann has been active all the time and bringing us some goodies regularly. Weber has not been really out of business, it seems - he did, for instance that duo disc (don't have it) of Shepp and Waldron, two years ago or maybe three.

I'm not really interested in the Takase - she did an earlier programme, I think exactly the same band, but with Fred Frith on guitar, and no trumpet playing W.C. Handy - don't know the disc, but her Willisau gig was... well, annoying. You didn't really get to know if they actually WERE playing that bad and amateur-like, or if they consciously TRIED TO APPEAR as amateurs... Mahall was in charge of spoken introductions, they were NOT funny yet some of them went longer than the music to follow (4 minutes of talking, then 3 minutes of music - glad that rationale applies not to all concerts and neither to CDs...)

end of rant.

That disc you have with Dorge sounds pretty cool! Didn't check out Khan Jamal, but it seems he's one of more (or most) interesting vibists coming on us since the sixties.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Speaking of Enja Weber, I got this one some time ago, and it's quite good, it couples two whole albums:

9131.jpg

The first one is with Hancock, McBee (not the Japanese clothes store), and Jimmy Lovelace, the second with Hubert Eaves, Ron Carter, McCury, Kenneth Nash. Recorded in 1965 and 1974 respectively.

You are right of course, ubu - it's Enja Horst Webser, of course.

What surprises me about both Enjas is how stylistically close they remained after the split - this slighly out (well, sometimes a bit more than slightly - Cecil with IIO, for example), slightly ethno-jazzish, some exotic female singers...

Winkelmann is definitely more active though.

OK, so looks lke Takase is skippable. I have her duo CD with Rudi Mahall reéeased last year on Leo, but don't remmeber it too well.

Been making my way through Braxton's 23 Standards, which I'm enjoying quite a bit. O'Neil is great on this disk, and there are interesting song choices. Other two are definitely on my "to get" list. The more Braxton I buy, the more I want to get. He really is an interesting artist to follow (understatement of the year).

Looking forward to hearing the Braxton standards set.

The Braxton/Cyrille sounded OK on a first listen (I have only VOl. I, though), but did not grab me too much. Braxton sounded a bit tired to me. Gotta listen to it more.

-----------------------------------------------------------

SOme nice new goodies from Intakt, including:

Guy-Crispell-Lytton Trio

and

Hans Koch / Martin Schütz / Fredy Studer Trio, which our friend ubu raved so much about. I hope INTAKT will consider me deserving receiving these releases (they didn't send me the second volume of Braxton/Cyrille, for example), since I am really looing forwar to hearing both of them, particulalrly after seeing Koch live (see ubu's and my raves somewhere above).

Deatils HERE.

Looking forward to hearing the Braxton standards set.

The Braxton/Cyrille sounded OK on a first listen (I have only VOl. I, though), but did not grab me too much. Braxton sounded a bit tired to me. Gotta listen to it more.

I only listened to it once when I got it. They need another listen.

New Braxton thread here.

That disc you have with Dorge sounds pretty cool! Didn't check out Khan Jamal, but it seems he's one of more (or most) interesting vibists coming on us since the sixties.

Very much so, IMO! Together with Walt Dickerson (just why the fuck isn't the man recording anymore?!?! I know that he is still fairly active as performer and musician in Philly (correct, Alan?)) Jamal might be my favorite vibist.

David, I only have that great stoopid music album of Dickerson's with Sun Ra that came out in Verve's Elite Edition. Nothing more, so far.

To go or not to go, this is the question!

...which is good, but much less interesting than the other ones be Walt Dickerson IMO (e.g. his absolutelz mesmerizing duos with Richard Davis on SteepleChase).

I am not too familiar with Tchicai's works, but I did see him live with New York Art Quartet (Tchicai-Rudd-Graves-Workman + Amiri Baraka) four years ago, and they were simply burning.

Edited by Д.Д.

Tchicai is on the Dorge disc dedicated to Dyani I mentioned above. If he is playing some of the solos I think (there's a second tenor player), he's got a great full fat sound.

There's a nice story on Mats Gustafsson in the October issue of The Wire (the one with Zeena Parkins and Ikue Mori on the cover - didn't read that story yet).

ubu

Guest Chaney

plonsey.jpeg

Limited Sedition LS006

Dan Plonsey

UNDERSTANDING HUMAN BEHAVIO... (Music for Oboe)

**Out Of Print**

Recorded by Myles (Earl Wacky) Boisen Sep 1-2, 1998.

12 tracks, 72 minutes, limited to 97 numbered copies.

Available Jan 10, 1999.

Dan Plonsey-oboe, voice, cheap Yamaha synth

with Earl Wacky-real time processing

If anyone's interested in getting a copy of this OOP disk, Dan Plonsey has a few copies left. Send him an e-mail at: dplonsey@yahoo.com

He's very reluctant to part with these babies so be prepared to justify your purchase. Better mention my name. :rolleyes:

(I'll have my first listen to this one tonight.)

Edited by Chaney

David, I only have that great stoopid music album of Dickerson's with Sun Ra that came out in Verve's Elite Edition. Nothing more, so far.

I am not too familiar with Tchicai's works, but I did see him live with New York Art Quartet (Tchicai-Rudd-Graves-Workman + Amiri Baraka) four years ago, and they were simply burning.

You can check out recent Tchicai on CIMP label (as well as CDs under Lou Grassi, Adam Lane).

Tchicai is the musician I've been meeaning to start exploring for quite some time now... I still haven't heard this ESP New York Art Quartet disc! The live performance that I saw was ery moving - Tchicai played something quite simple, stripped off of all embelisments - and very direct. A bit like ethinic music: it might be very simple, even primitive, but it is very real (I am not sure I can explaiin it better, but this is a stong feeling I get listening to ethinc musci - it is real).

Will move Tchicai to the top of THE LIST.

Has anyone here heard the reissue of Albert Ayler's Complete Live at Slug's Saloon on Lonehill? I'm making a list of discs I need to pick up and this one and the Water reissue of the complete Nuits De La Fondation Maeght 1970 caught my eye. I don't imagine that either disc is "essential," but I'm guessing I'll want to hear both sooner or later.

I heard another interesting album the other day - XMARSX, on Atavistic.

f47321swzqs.jpg

The band is made up of Mars Williams, Greg Suran, Dave Suycott , Kent Kessler, Frederick Longberg-Holm and Wayne Kramer, of MC5 fame. Given that half of these guys are coming from a rock background, it is not surprising how strongly this disc wears its rock influences on its sleeve. I've only spn this disc once, and need to spend some more time with it before being able to comment on it, but I already feel comfortable recommending it to all of you.

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs." -Hunter S. Thompson (taken from the Atavistic website)

one great Ayler release that not many people seem to know about is the double CD Albert Smiles with Sunny (In Respect). it's the full concert of what was released by ESP as Prophecy, the trio with Peacock and Murray a month before they recorded Spiritual Unity.

more info at the bottom of this page:

http://www.ayler.supanet.com/html/prophecy.html

I just read on the Ayler discography site that the tracks from Albert Smiles With Sunny that do not appear on Prophecy are all included in the Revenant box, so all of the material will be readily available now.

Guest Chaney

Has anyone here heard the reissue of Albert Ayler's Complete Live at Slug's Saloon on Lonehill?  I'm making a list of discs I need to pick up and this one and the Water reissue of the complete Nuits De La Fondation Maeght 1970 caught my eye.  I don't imagine that either disc is "essential," but I'm guessing I'll want to hear both sooner or later.

I've been meaning to check this set out.

I believe the last released Complete Slugs is not really complete(?).

much less interesting than the other ones be Walt Dickerson IMO (e.g. his absolutelz mesmerizing duos with Richard Davis on SteepleChase).

My favorite vibist to.

In fact he made me like the instrument 25 years ago.

But, If you don't have heard his masterpiece till now, you DON'T KNOW what a man can do with a vibraphone/xylophone or what ever name they gave to the instrument.

(The masterpiece is : TO MY SON (STEEPLECHASE) featuring ANDY McKEE (on bass) and JIMMY JOHNSUN (on drums.)

Four pieces. Incredible.

(PLM, just passing by to say hello. But seems nobodys home.)

one great Ayler release that not many people seem to know about is the double CD Albert Smiles with Sunny (In Respect). it's the full concert of what was released by ESP as Prophecy, the trio with Peacock and Murray a month before they recorded Spiritual Unity.

more info at the bottom of this page:

http://www.ayler.supanet.com/html/prophecy.html

I just read on the Ayler discography site that the tracks from Albert Smiles With Sunny that do not appear on Prophecy are all included in the Revenant box, so all of the material will be readily available now.

I mentioned that either here or on the Holy Ghost thread, and after checking the playlists of the Tree and the upcoming box, it is true, all there, and thus no need to get that release.

ubu

I'm listening to an absolutely beautiful album that everyone on Funny rat should hear at some point in their lives: Andrew Cyrille / Jeanne Lee / Jimmy Lyons - Nuba. (Black Saint) This might be some of the most lyrical playing I have heard from Lyons and Cyrille spends most of his time playing some fantastic percussion, very influenced by African tribal music, imo. Jeanne Lee really fits in well. I enjoyed her vocals a lot more than I expected to. Very highly recommended.

One more disc I would like to recommend to all of you tonight:

e7020071pvt.jpg

Ori Kaplan Percussion Ensemble - Gongol (Knitting Factory)

Kaplan plays alto, Susie Ibarra and Geoff Mann are on percussion and various other instruments and Andrew Bemkey is on piano. There is a litle bit of Ellington in the writing, a little bit of Coltrane (both John and Alice) but, for the most part, this is a really fresh album that stands on its own quite well.

This is the only albym I have heard of Kaplan's and it really makes me want to hear more. I think all Knitting Factory discs have gone oop, which is too bad. This one is really a winner!