Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Just got a little bumf from Incus, FYI:

NEW DVD available now.

"DEREK BAILEY: PLAYING FOR FRIENDS ON 5TH STREET"

PRODUCED AND DIRECTED BY ROBERT O'HAIRE. 51 minute, NTSC all-region DVD

Playing for Friends on 5th Street catches free-improv guitar legend Derek Bailey in an intimate concert for about 40 friends and fans on December 29, 2001. The friends - fixtures on the downtown scene - include guitarist Alan Licht, poets Steve Dalachinsky and Yuko Otomo, DMG proprietors Bruce Lee Gallanter and Manny Maris, and Stephanie and the late Irving Stone, to whom Bailey dedicated the video release.

It was a casual evening and a casual performance as well. Bailey seems to be working through ideas, finding little nuances and sitting on them, working through suggestions before strolling along other paths. The single-camera footage, focused tightly on the guitarist, is presented with few edits and nicely augmented with various post-production effects: full screen and letterbox, color and warm sepia halftones and stop motion lend to the more-than-front-row intimacy of the video. Bailey is at his best during the 51-minute set, which includes his telling a story about working in a guitar shop in the 1960s (accompanying himself as he does in his much sought-after "chats") and a few moments of traditional playing on the vintage Epiphone hollow-body he bought on Staten Island.

PRICE : £12 , €18 or $20.00 plus postage

AVAILABLE from INCUS / Calle De Roca 6, Piso 1, 08002 Barcelona. Spain

Or 14 Downs Road London E5 8DS England U.K.

I was at that show. I was sitting next to him and the video cam.

Afterward I asked him if the people at Mandolinn Bros. knew who he was. :P

He didn't think so. :g

Edited by 7/4

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm amused by the passage about Bailey's "much sought-after chats"--I like those things on Bailey's albums but I'm not quite sure that I or other fans really hunt them out that eagerly. -- Been ages since I've seen Derek live (I think it was April 1994, to be exact, a solo concert in Cambridge)--I guess the chances are ever remoter given his poor health & relocation to Barcelona. Drat.

Looks like Sven-Åke Johansson has his own label: SÅJ series CD 2002/3 (bottom of the page).

With all due respect to Johhanson, €18 ($23.5) per single CD is more than I'm willing to pay. Nice to see that the man is so prolific, though. Enjoyed his Hat disc a lot (very interesting take on "classical" free jazz with rare opportunity to hear Axel Dörner playing relatively straight - and what a phenomenal player he is!).

Item ID: ECD 1019

Artist: Futtermann, Joel

Title: Inner Conversations

Price: $5.00

40' of music by the quartet of Jimmy Lyons-alto sax, Richard Davis-bass, Robert Atkins-drums & Joel Futterman-piano, plus an additional 7 tracks of solo piano music by Joel. Any chance to hear the great Jimmy Lyons blow alto is worth picking up, and at this price... [Ear Rational]

Wayside Music

Good find (Richard Davis?!)! If you buy it, let us know how it is.

I tried ordering from Wayside once, but I remmeberthey required some outrageous insurance charges for international shipping, so I cancelled the order...

Actually, those covers aren't too bad. (Color's a bit dreadful, though.)

Looks like raised gold something or other?

duets of Evan Parker and birdsong with a gold-embossed kangaroo on an electric, lime-green background? Chaney, that is bad.

But, like I said, I really dig them!

Actually, those covers aren't too bad.  (Color's a bit dreadful, though.)

Looks like raised gold something or other?

duets of Evan Parker and birdsong with a gold-embossed kangaroo on an electric, lime-green background? Chaney, that is bad.

But, like I said, I really dig them!

Yeah, I think it would have been better if there was a soprano saxophone sticking out of kangaroo's pouch.

I am not buying any more new Evan Parker.

Guest Chaney

New (?) label: Treader. All three releases look interesting, don't they (particularly Mark Sanders solo)? And how about this for cover art?

Think maybe Treader is related to Utech Records?

:blink:

Aside from the electronic noise of Lasse Marhaug (John, you might like this one), this young label looks interesting. (Each is a limited edition of either 50 or 75 copies.)

Edited by Chaney

New (?) label: Treader. All three releases look interesting, don't they (particularly Mark Sanders solo)? And how about this for cover art?

Think maybe Treader is related to Ultech Records?

:blink:

Aside from the electronic noise of Lasse Marhaug (John, you might like this one), this young label looks interesting. (Each is a limited edition of either 50 or 75 copies.)

Looks (and sounds) good.

Guest Chaney

Kevin Parkinson posted the following music links on another board.

Bill Jamieson - Saxes

BoB Tildesley - Trumpet

Thom Golub - Bass

Kevin Parkinson - Drums/Percussion

Not familiar with these (Canadian?) boys but the bass player sounds really good. William Parker school?

Beleive it or not, but bassist sounds even better than Willaim Parker. Loading the files to my Iriver - these are big files (and slow server).

I just learned that Tim Berne is releasing live albums directly throght his website. The first one is out and, if it sells well enough, more will follow.

Acoustic and Electric Hard Cell Live

acoustic_and_electric_hard_cell_live_i.jpg

Tim Berne: Alto

Craig Taborn: Electric keyboards and electronics 2 and 4 and acoustic piano on 1 and 3

Tom Rainey : drums

There is a rave review of this one up over at JC. I'll be picking up a copy of it one of these days.

Tim Bern's Hard Cell Live (Screwgun) - outstanding record!

Check out the samples on the site.

I finally had a chance to hear Peter Brotzmann / Walter Perkins - The Ink is Gone, one of the many Brotz releases from last year that I hadn't heard. It is a vinyl ony release on Brotz' Bro label. It is a very solid album. It is nice to hear Brotz with a different drummer, and Perkins seems like a great partner for him on this disc.

At $25 plus shipping I'm not sure I'll ever buy a copy for myself, which is too bad, as this is some great music that deserves to be heard by more people than will actually happen.

It is a vinyl ony release on Brotz' Bro label. It is a very solid album.

I assume the logic is that 400 LP copies sold at $25 is better than 800 CDs sold at $12. If so, it is pretty short-sighted and flawed (although you wouldn't expect people who run creative music labels to be savvy businessmen, would you?) - by increasing the coverage of (already extremely limited) target group you increase their invovement (e.g if I buy one CD by Brötzmann, I am likely to buy another one if I like what I hear) ensuring a long-term revenue stream.

Ideally, the music like this should be available in all possible forms to reach as many consumers posible. Yes, you won't be able to charge $25 per LP (you'll probably charge $20) and you will sell less of them - but this will be compensated by cheaper (but also lower-cost) CDs and downloads - and again you'll have a more ensured future sales with enlarged base of repeat custoemers (who are crucial in this business).