Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

I couldn't hear a note Jeff Parker played the whole set.

THat's a shame - Parker is an interesting guitarist. I've been really enjoying his his trio Tricolor's disc Mirth + Feckless (Atavistic, UMS), and I'll be defiitely buying more of his works (this duo with Scott Fields on Delmark surely looks enticing).

--------------------------------

I was planning to get these Erstlive releases soon (together with some other good stuff Erstwhile is distributing).

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I´ve listened to the Fred Anderson / DKV Trio Okka disk twice, and I must say I´m really impressed, possitively impressed. I´ve enjoyed it a lot.

My first Fred Anderson disc (I also ordered "Destiny" and "Vintage duets" from Chuck, but haven´t heard them yet), as well as my first Ken Vandermark; so these are "virginal" comments! ^_^

Anderson and Vandermark´s interplay is very interesting, their conversations filled with great fierceness on "Our theme", while there´s some calmed music on other passages. And I did like the rhythm section (I had only heard Drake on "Dried rat dog" and never heard Kessler before).

As for influences, I think I can hear a lot of Ayler, specially through the most powerful blowing. Oh, and these guys have their roots on the blues as well (just hear those walking bass lines on "Lady´s in Love")!

In short: very enjoyable and not too "out" for me! :g

2 days in april is one of my favorite Drake/Parker recordings - but I don't always get with Kidd. Anderson especially roars during the middle portion of the second disc - irresistable grooves throughout

live a couple of years back, they were beyond the disc by quite a bit - among the best 2 or 3 shows I have ever seen.

people were literally dancing in the aisles

Anderson especially roars during the middle portion of the second disc - irresistable grooves throughout

It's too bad you weren't able to make it up to Vermont this weekend. During the second tune Fred, William and Hamid brought the funk. It was one of the tightest, funkiest grooves I have heard outside of a PFunk show.

still need to spin the Schooldays discs a few more times

I've got their album In Our Times up on deck to listen to tomorrow for the first time.

I've had a chane to listen to this one and I really like it. It didn't grab me quite as much as Nuclear Assembly Hall or Atlas did, but I suspect that has something to do with hearing it imediately after those two had already made such an impression on me. This is a really solid disc.

Friends, this is a GREAT release by the musicians I've never heard of: Richard Carr / Mike Nord / Georg Hofmann - "In Walks Art" (Leo, 2004).

401.jpg

Check the mp3s out here: http://www.willamette.edu/~mnord/cnhmp3.htm

Might join Leandre's "For Flowers", Ochs' "Fly, Fly, Fly" and Gebbia's "Zen Widow" at the top of the favorite-of-2004 list.

D.D. - Will check out "In Walks Art" as well as "Zen Widow," thanks.

I have started listening through a number of live recordings passed on by some generous posters here. First on was Daniel Humair trio w/Ellery Eskelin at Willisau, 2002. Will give it another spin before I comment further but this one's definitely on the better side of the scale.

Not available for order yet, but finally listed on the Ayler records webpage:

aylCD-028

Henry Grimes Trio

Henry Grimes, bass

David Murray, ts and bcl

Hamid Drake, drums

grimesmid.jpg

Hmm, I doubt I'll be picking this one up. Not a fan of Murray, and not so interested in hearing more Drake. I haven't heard Grimes since his resurrection - but somehow I can fairly easily imagine what music these three would be making...

Hmm, I doubt I'll be picking this one up. Not a fan of Murray, and not so interested in hearing more Drake. I haven't heard Grimes since his resurrection - but somehow I can fairly easily imagine what music these three would be making...

I have the opposite thought right now. I'll be grabbing a copy of this one as soon as possible.

I really don't understand the Ayler records catalog numbers. I'm pretty sure Ayl-09 is a new release also:

Louie Belogenis, ts

Roy Campbell, Jr,. tp. fl

Hilliard Green, b

Michael Wimberly

1. Invocation

2. Procession

3. Evocation

4. Incandescence

Playing time: 47:15

Recorded in concert at The Vision Festival, The Center, 268 Mulberry, NYC.

on May 24, 2003

Cover art and lay out:

"The Sun Ship" by Åke Bjurhamn

exuberancemid.jpg

Friends and fellow rats, some have gotten this announcement via email, yesterday, some not, so I post it again here, to make sure no one misses out:

Next Sunday, you get a chance to hear a very special radio show on Radio LoRa. Sandro Schaub and me met and interviewed irish-swiss guitar player Christy Doran and swiss drummer Fredy Studer recently, on the occasion of their new “Play the Music of Jimi Hendrix” project.

We heard one of the first concerts of that tour in Zurich, and it was great! The band features Christy on guitar, Fredy on drums, Kim Clarke on bass, and Erika Stucky on vocals.

In our radio show you will hear excerpts of a concert they played in Munich, close to the end of their tour, when everything fell together as it should. From these recordings a forthcoming album will be produced, slated for release in Spring 2005.

Our show will air on Sunday, December 19, 2004, 20:00 p.m. to 21:00 p.m. (European time, obviously).

You can listen to Radio LoRa in and around Zurich on FM 97.5 MHZ, and you can listen to internet livestreams via http://www.lora.ch/webradio.php.

The show will also be archived for at least a few weeks, just below the web radio links, in the “Archiv”-section (same link as above). It should be available a few days after it has aired.

Hope you’ll join in, the music is certainly worth getting an earful, even if you don’t understand the interview part (which we conducted in swiss german).

Edited by king ubu

Never posted on the Rat before but a track off the Henry Grimes (or from the tour I've not got it in front of me and sure its inconclusive) is on the 2cd Wire Tapper that comes with the Wire. Sounds pretty good to me.

[interesting compilation too by the way from The Fall to the Necks]

Never posted on the Rat before but a track off the Henry Grimes (or from the tour I've not got it in front of me and sure its inconclusive) is on the 2cd Wire Tapper that comes with the Wire. Sounds pretty good to me.

Who is playing with Grimes?

the track is from the Ayler disc I posted above.

There is a note in that The Wire issue that indicates Andrew Lamb on sax and Newman Taylor Baker on drums as being part of the Henry Grimes trio on that 'Flowers for Albert'!

Not available for order yet, but finally listed on the Ayler records webpage:

aylCD-028

Henry Grimes Trio

Henry Grimes, bass

David Murray, ts and bcl

Hamid Drake, drums

grimesmid.jpg

Looks essential to me!

There is a note in that The Wire issue that indicates Andrew Lamb on sax and Newman Taylor Baker on drums as being part of the Henry Grimes trio on that 'Flowers for Albert'!

Jan Strom of Ayler records posted over at JC that it is a track from the Grimes/Murray/Drake disc on this month's Wire Tapper.

Repeating a post from the correct thread:

Rudd, Wright, Lacy, Waldron/Lacy, AEC Phase One, and Alan Shorter.

The goof on the Wright is not so bad, as the front text is just a sticker on the shrinkwrap, and once that is off, the goof is only on the spine.

Listened to the Shorter, not sure I really like it, but will need a few more listens. Then went on to the Wright, and HELL THAT ONE IS GOOD!!! Beautiful music, on all accounts, Howard and Wright match very well, Few is cool, and Art Taylor - odd man out, his first "free" date the liners say (was it his last, too?) - is GREAT!

Now started the Rudd. Should be nice if it goes on like it started...

Oh, and the cover of the Lacy says Aebi is no cello only, while the Waldron/Lacy says "cello & vocal"...

The Rudd has now been half-listened, and wow! Tchicai is cool, and that bass player, Finn van Eyben (never heard of him), is doing some nice things, together with Louis Moholo! I bet this is essential, for us Rudd fans, as there are so few of his recordings available.

ubu

The Rudd has now been half-listened, and wow! Tchicai is cool, and that bass player, Finn van Eyben (never heard of him), is doing some nice things, together with Louis Moholo! I bet this is essential, for us Rudd fans, as there are so few of his recordings available.

ubu

I got the Rudd and Braxton so far but will make another visit to Paris this weekend and, based on your comments, will probably also pick-up the Wright. Haven't listened to the Braxton solo sides yet but gave two spins to the Rudd and although there are many great moments I'm not yet sure about what to think of the disc as a whole as there is also some wanderin' here and there, but worhtwhile for sure, that I can say even now.

ubu

I got the Rudd and Braxton so far but will make another visit to Paris this weekend and, based on your comments, will probably also pick-up the Wright. Haven't listened to the Braxton solo sides yet but gave two spins to the Rudd and although there are many great moments I'm not yet sure about what to think of the disc as a whole as there is also some wanderin' here and there, but worhtwhile for sure, that I can say even now.

I love the Rudd! Will have completed a first listen in only a couple of minutes, but I can already say I love it (that is different from how good it actually is, of course).

The bass player loses a bit of focus in the second half, I think, so I don't consider him as good anymore as my last post made believe. He's no slouch, though, for sure!