Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Sicne we are at it, let me thorugh in a couple more CDBaby recommendations form my previous orders (I think I plugged them all at least once already, but what the fuck):

http://cdbaby.com/cd/577records1 - some lyrical stuff, best Danile Carter I've heard so far

http://cdbaby.com/cd/erikfriedlander - solo cello, very impressive

http://cdbaby.com/cd/marktaylor - excelent post-bop stuff; Taylor plays French hord

http://cdbaby.com/cd/klausjanek - solo BASSSSSSSSSS!!!

http://cdbaby.com/cd/curableinterns - this is insane guitar planking

http://cdbaby.com/cd/thracianrhap - Bulgarian folk music; some insane reeds playing

http://cdbaby.com/cd/mackstaller - very pleasant mainstream guitar trio ($5 sale!!! )

http://cdbaby.com/cd/buhler2 - excellent alto saxophone solo. If you like Butcher and early Evan Parker I don't see why you wouldn't like this one

http://cdbaby.com/cd/emtpo - oh yes ($5 sale!!! )

http://cdbaby.com/cd/prasant - Indian music on saxophone. Very impressive. I want more.

http://cdbaby.com/cd/neilleonard - outstanding collection of works for solo saxophone & electronics ($5 sale!!! )

http://cdbaby.com/cd/antonanddan - smart saxophone/trumpet duos ($5 sale!!! )

Edited by Д.Д.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An upcoming release from Balance Point Acoustics:

BPA 012 Pepper Spray: Ariel Shibolet/Jen Baker/Damon Smith/Jerome Bryerton

I have Shibolet's solo soprano saxophone disc on Leo: http://www.leorecords.com/lr/w/music/id/CD...142185088M055b/

I listened to it only once and remember being very impressed by technique (Evan Parker+ ), but less so by the ideas. Will revisit the disc soon.

Leo site now has .ogg samples for every track.

Edited by Д.Д.

Guest Chaney

I just had a listen to some of those Ariel Shibolet (on Leo) samples. Eeeek! Pretty frigid stuff. It'll be interesting to hear how well he plays with others. (I wonder if I can now expect a PM from Mr. Shibolet... :rsly: )

That being said, I wonder if Metal Tube & Consciousness compares favorably with Arcana Major?

And on Jen Baker:

Jen Baker may be the most eclectic trombone player in the world. Just a few genres she performs in are symphonic, contemporary/avant-garde, theatrical trombone solos, free jazz/improvised, alternative rock, Gregorian chant, didgeridoo, and Renaissance music. She grew up on a dairy farm in Jonesville, Michigan, eagerly left home to study the trombone, and now lives in Oakland. Ms. Baker received degrees in music performance from Interlochen Arts Academy, Oberlin Conservatory, and Mills College.

Jen recently played a solo recital of chants and self-composed works at the Meridian Gallery, San Francisco, which she is now planning to record. She received a Meet the Composer grant to commission a theatrical trombone solo with electronics by New York-based composer Patrick Muchmore, and is anticipating the completion of the work soon with East and West coast premieres to follow. She is devoted to generating interest in expanding the traditional repertoire and usage of the trombone. The recently commissioned solo performance of "A Spell for Trombone" by Shigeru Kan-no was "...performed with brilliant mastery and virtuosity by trombonist Jen Baker."

Some notable performances of chamber, solo, and improvised music include appearances at the International Trombone Workshop, Eastern Trombone Workshop, Bach Festival Chamber Music Competition (finalist), National Music Educators Association Chamber Music Competition (finalist), Fort Mason Center in San Francisco, Royal Academy of Music in London, Chapel of the Chimes Summer Solstice Concert in Oakland, and the Thingamajigs Festival in Oakland.

She has performed with Pauline Oliveros, Fred Frith, Cecil Taylor, Robin Eubanks, Alvin Curran, and many others.

In her free time, Jen teaches privately on all brass instruments, piano, and didgeridoo, and coaches brass sectionals. She also teaches K-8 creative music classes at Archway School.

Edited by Chaney

Yes, you will receive an e-mail from Ariel informing you that actually he is routinely performing children's lullaby and Christmas carol music, praised by authoritative music critics for their unprecedented warmth.

-------------------------

Have been listening a lot to wonderful Frisque Concordance: "Spellings" (Random Acoustics) recently. Frisque Concordance is:

John Butcher - saxophones

Georg Gräwe - piano

Hans Schneider - bass

Martin Blume - drums

Beautiful music, with Martin Blume shinining in particular. Martin Blume website.

-------------------------

Also, had a first listen to India Cooke: "Redhanded" (Music & Arts). Excellent work.

India Cooke is a violinist with gorgeous lucid tone (reminiscent of Micheal White at his best), and the music is clever creative free jazz with monster band - George Lewis, Larry Ochs, Donald Robinson and Lisle Ellis. Everybody plays wonderfully - Ochs creates great interplay with Cooke with his violin-sounding sopranino, and adds a bit of firebreathing tenor (it's amazing how different his approach on two horns is), Lewis is flamboyant and very inventive and the rhythm section is invariably solid. Recommended.

Looks like there is not that much by/with Cooke available, but she had a duo release with Joelle Leandre ( :excited: ) on Red Toucan, and I am getting it of course (for $12 at indiejazz).

Edited by Д.Д.

Played the two Karayorgis Leos I have, "Blood Ballad" and "Heart and Sack" - very good, in my opinion! I was a bit familiar with the drummer already, but Nate McBride on bass was quite a surprise! Nice wooden sound. And Karayorgis himself is pretty good as well.

Also played the Enja, "Aki & the Good Boys" by Aki Takase. Fun disc, not a great one, but a good performance, no less. Mahall is there again, too, and I still like him. I think I needed to see him live to really get what he's doing on discs...

Guest Chaney

Yes, you will receive an e-mail from Ariel informing you that actually he is routinely performing children's lullaby and Christmas carol music, praised by authoritative music critics for their unprecedented warmth.

:g

~~~~~~~~~~

As a reminder to anyone else loving that SanFran Bay Area sound, be sure to tune in to:

sfSound.jpg

Current play list:

15:50:46 Kihlstedt+Robair+Sperry_SonarchyTrio_3 **

15:46:54 MatthewSperry+JackWright_Duets1998_2

15:24:39 CliffCaruthers_Natoma

15:24:16 JohnShiurba+ScottRosenberg_OneLiners_6

14:40:05 MathiasSpahlinger_passage

14:37:23 JackWright_UpForGrabs_TheWhoItIs

14:23:56 DajuinYao_CinnebarRedDrizzle

14:20:57 Moe!kestra!_PieceNo5_02

13:43:16 FredFrith_Live@ACME_Feb04

13:42:29 JohnShiurba+ScottRosenberg_OneLiners_8

13:32:37 JohnShiurba_5x5_1.1.1mp3

13:27:41 CherylLeonard_Topos_Esker

13:20:54 MathiasSpahlinger_morendo

13:12:30 MatthewSperry_FudgeBridges_MintMeltaway

13:12:05 TomDissevelt_PopularElectronics_RhythmicTapeLoop

13:08:08 JohnButcher+GinoRobair_NewOaklandBurr_ThroatRust

13:01:33 ButcherRobairSperry_12Milagritos_labio

12:52:36 ChrisBurns_QuestionsAndFissures

12:50:01 Porest_PrudeJuice_KumerMeridian

12:47:47 Porest_IRememberSYRIA_NationalAnthemSignOff

** MS004.jpglIMItEd SEdItION :wub:

~~~~~~~~~~

Two new releases on psi:

psi0601.jpeg

RUDI MAHALL: SOLO

The first solo record by the Berlin based master of the bass clarinet.

psi0602.jpeg

EVAN PARKER OCTET: CROSSING THE RIVER

Groups in the range septet to tentet are increasingly possible, given the long term commitment to free improvisation from London based musicians. This CD features two extended octet improvisations by NEIL METCALFE (flute), JOHN RANGECROFT (clarinet), EVAN PARKER (tenor saxophone), PHILIPP WACHSMANN (violin), MARCIO MATTOS (cello), JOHN EDWARDS (bass), JOHN RUSSELL (guitar), and AGUSTÍ FERNÁNDEZ (piano) - plus a sting quintet, and some short trios and duos.

I'm feeling very centered today.

Edited by Chaney

As a reminder to anyone else loving that SanFran Bay Area sound, be sure to tune in to:

sfSound.jpg

Can't get it to play on my computer.

It's OK, I have a couple of sealed CDs still. As I am now a proud posessor of a CD Stripper (see picture attached), appreciating new music is becoming easier and easier.

Why not go for this solo Sonny Simmons on Parallactic that's been sitting around here unlistened for ages?

Edit: Simmons didn't go too well. It actually sounded quite good (except for Simmons' piercing tone), but not for this time (it's 2AM and I am working). So I went for this one:

B000A6OC58.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

And this is exactly what I needed right now.

You fellas are also into medieval vocal music, aren't you?

Edited by Д.Д.

Monteverdi: L'incoronazione di Poppea

(Brilliant, 4CDs)

B000B7VZSS.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This is an opera.

I don't like opera.

But this one is good. Even if one soprano is somewhat withered, and tenor is rather bleak. Still good stuff.

The set is dirt-cheap here in Europe (€ 10 for 4CDs). This is not some cheapo edition, on the contrary - thick booklet, good artwork, etc. I don't know how Brilliant pulls it off financially.

David: Is the Monteverdi played on period or modern instruments?

Mac powerbook, sine waves, turntables.

Period, really. XVII century vintage. Instrumentlaists are excellent (this is a rather small ebsemble - 12 instuments, and they rarely play alltogether - really sparse orchestration), sound is great.

You have a preference?

Edited by Д.Д.

Guest Chaney

Back in the days that I listened to this type of material, I was painfully purist: period material played on period instruments. No compromise.

What in hell did I know...?

Edited by Chaney

Another excellent one:

The Bach harpsichord album. Robert Aldwinckle (Regis)

RRC1078.jpg

I am normally not a fan of harpsichord. I tend to find its sound too harsh, lacking any depth or subtlety. Not the case here. Aldwinckle makes it sound much more than merely decorative (or is it Bach's compositions?). Sound is good.

For period instrument purists among us, the instrument used is a copy of the XVIII century piece, so I gues this should qualify.

Regis is also a budget label, so this one should be available for cheap as well (I think broinc.com carries their releases).

Edited by Д.Д.

Guest Chaney

An interesting offering in today's Downtown Music Gallery e-mailing:

INCREDIBLY RARE JAPANESE STEVE LACY 2 CD SET FOUND!!

STEVE LACY - "Blues for Aida" - Solo at Egg Farm [2 CD set] (Egg Farm 004/Japan) We've never, ever seen or heard of this one before now. This features two well-recorded solo sets from September 10th of 1995 at the Egg Farm Hall in Japan, a favorite spot of Japanese jazz connoisseurs. The title piece, "Blues for Aida" is a eulogy for Akira Aida, a radical journalist, producer and organizer who presented Steve Lacy in Japan for the first time. Mr. Aida died at the young age of 38 in 1978 and was a close friend of Mr. Lacy. Steve Lacy covers a number of tunes by Thelonius Monk, "Shuffle Boil", "Eronel", "Evidence", "Pannonica" and "Trinkle Tinkle", as well as number of original pieces, ""The Crust", "Prospectus", "The Rent", Revenue" and "Deadline". We have just ten copies of this gem.

2 CD set for $40

I remember asking about this one ages ago. Pretty cool that it's available. Just ordered myself a copy.

Edited by Chaney

An interesting offering in today's Downtown Music Gallery e-mailing:

INCREDIBLY RARE JAPANESE STEVE LACY 2 CD SET FOUND!!

STEVE LACY - "Blues for Aida" - Solo at Egg Farm [2 CD set] (Egg Farm 004/Japan) We've never, ever seen or heard of this one before now. This features two well-recorded solo sets from September 10th of 1995 at the Egg Farm Hall in Japan, a favorite spot of Japanese jazz connoisseurs. The title piece, "Blues for Aida" is a eulogy for Akira Aida, a radical journalist, producer and organizer who presented Steve Lacy in Japan for the first time. Mr. Aida died at the young age of 38 in 1978 and was a close friend of Mr. Lacy. Steve Lacy covers a number of tunes by Thelonius Monk, "Shuffle Boil", "Eronel", "Evidence", "Pannonica" and "Trinkle Tinkle", as well as number of original pieces, ""The Crust", "Prospectus", "The Rent", Revenue" and "Deadline". We have just ten copies of this gem.

2 CD set for $40

I remember asking about this one ages ago. Pretty cool that it's available. Just ordered myself a copy.

I already mentioned somewhere I found a copy of this Aida bearing an handwritten dedication by Steve Lacy to a French jazz critic :(

I already mentioned somewhere I found a copy of this Aida bearing an handwritten dedication by Steve Lacy to a French jazz critic

Whe want to know everything, Brownie: which famous french critic is it?

The man deserves to have is ignominious name thrown in a public place like this jazzboard.

THE NAME, THE NAME!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out the samples at the Matthew Welch's web page. What a telent - both as performer and composer!

Note that the solo bagpipes piece here sounds very traditional compared to the stuff on Welch's "Hag at the Churn" (on newsonic). There, most of the pieces do not sound like bagpipes at all (and morever, every trakc sounds totally different form each other - from quiet drones to fluid soprano saxophone-like solos to menacing multi-layered pointillistic suites and to some pretty indiscribably stuff). I haven't listened to his Leo disc (with pieces for bagpipes and orchestra) yet. Gotta get all the Welch that's available out there.

Anyody heard Braxton's discs with him ("Composition 247" on Leo, and "Compositions for solo bagpipes" on Parallactic)?

Today actually I was listening to disc 3 from the 4-CD Braxton's "Six compositions (GTM) 2001" set (on Rastascan/Limited Sedition/Barely Auditable).

I have this set since the day it was released (it costed like $15 at CDUniverse, iirc), and never managed to go through the whole damn thing. The first two discs are occupied by a mammoth composition for a large band that would invariably drive me to despair after 15 minutes, so I think never even got to disc 3. And well, it turned out to be really good! It is for a much smaller band (Braxton-Rosenberg-Shiurba-Sperry-Robair), and past the zombie GTM themes (farly short here) the improvisations are excellent.