MLB 2009 Season

Kruk is pissed at that camera HR ruling. rant2.gif I guess it was part of the ground rules established before the game that if a ball hit the camera it would be ruled a HR.

From my point of view, I'm not sure the camera was hanging all that far out over the fence anyways, and the side angle seemed to pretty clearly show that ball was headed over the fence.

Nice win by the Yankees.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So much for that. Philadelphia is manhandling the Yanks so far...Pettitte's already thrown 60 pitches in just three innings, and Hamel ain't givin' up nothin'. CC will absolutely have to win it tomorrow and NY will be lucky to leave Philadelphia down 3-2, at this rate.

Wow, you threw the towel in pretty early. But I have to confess after seeing Petite's lack of control during the first two innings - he couldn't throw a first pitch strike and was consistently behind the Phillie hitters - I was ready to pinch-hit for him in the 3rd down 3-0 and take my chances with Gaudin. Shows you what I know.

But after A-Rod was awarded the HR (legitimately) and Petite settled down (altho Werth owned him pretty good), I had a good feeling about our chances of coming back. The only major disappointment last night for me was Phil Hughes' inability to close out the game. He really threw a meatball fast ball to Ruiz in the 9th.

I've seen the replay of ARod's HR about 10x now and I think it's a homer. It would have gone out by about an inch if the camera wasn't there. If it had been at Yankee Stadium it's 10 rows deep. Still they shouldn't have any camera that near the field of play just because of the potential for controversy. As if the MLB needed more. Come to think of it if Cole Hamels hadn't had a hissy fit when the 3rd strike to Teixeira was called a ball they probably wouldn't even be taking about that HR call. Dude is a head case. Every time a call doesn't go his way he flips out and loses his shit. Grow some onions and deal w/it.

I'm thinking that I may revise my prediction to 5 games the way the Phillies are hitting. Not too mention Chollie is getting out managed by Giraldi and his 3 ring binder right now. Blanton as Game 4 starter?? The guy gave up 30 dingers this season,(4th in the majors) and his career ERA is north of 8.00 vs. the Yankees, the team that led the majors w/ 244 taters this year. Bombs away!

So much for that. Philadelphia is manhandling the Yanks so far...Pettitte's already thrown 60 pitches in just three innings, and Hamel ain't givin' up nothin'. CC will absolutely have to win it tomorrow and NY will be lucky to leave Philadelphia down 3-2, at this rate.

Wow, you threw the towel in pretty early. But I have to confess after seeing Pettitte's lack of control during the first two innings - he couldn't throw a first pitch strike and was consistently behind the Phillie hitters - I was ready to pinch-hit for him in the 3rd down 3-0 and take my chances with Gaudin. Shows you what I know.

But after A-Rod was awarded the HR (legitimately) and Petite settled down (altho Werth owned him pretty good), I had a good feeling about our chances of coming back. The only major disappointment last night for me was Phil Hughes' inability to close out the game. He really threw a meatball fast ball to Ruiz in the 9th.

The first 3 innings and the last 6 seemed like completely different ballgames. I really thought Hamels was going to come through with a strong six or seven-inning effort, esp. since he was pitching at home, but he did seem to come apart in the 4th. Can't believe there's so much controversy over A-Rod's HR...it took the umps what, 30 seconds to rule on it? Re: Pettitte, a gutsy effort for sure, as he clearly didn't have his best stuff last night and still managed to keep things reasonably under control, preventing Philly from developing an insurmountable lead. Plus it was great to see him knock in the tying run.

But I'll keep up my pessimistic bent and say that tonight's game is another must-win for NY, given that Lee's starting tomorrow night. And yeah, on paper Game 4 looks pretty good for NY, but expect the unexpected and all that. Watching Philadelphia throughout the playoffs, I've built up a ton of respect for not only their ability, but their mental toughness and ability to come through in challenging situations. They're easily the best team NY's faced and I still agree that it's "Only NY might be able to beat the Phillies," not the other way around.

EDIT: also, surely Ryan Howard won't keep on simply striking out forever.

Edited by ghost of miles

I've seen the replay of ARod's HR about 10x now and I think it's a homer. It would have gone out by about an inch if the camera wasn't there. If it had been at Yankee Stadium it's 10 rows deep. Still they shouldn't have any camera that near the field of play just because of the potential for controversy. As if the MLB needed more. Come to think of it if Cole Hamels hadn't had a hissy fit when the 3rd strike to Teixeira was called a ball they probably wouldn't even be taking about that HR call. Dude is a head case. Every time a call doesn't go his way he flips out and loses his shit. Grow some onions and deal w/it.

I'm thinking that I may revise my prediction to 5 games the way the Phillies are hitting. Not too mention Chollie is getting out managed by Giraldi and his 3 ring binder right now. Blanton as Game 4 starter?? The guy gave up 30 dingers this season,(4th in the majors) and his career ERA is north of 8.00 vs. the Yankees, the team that led the majors w/ 244 taters this year. Bombs away!

Useless Bud has decided that the camera needs to be moved back -- fool! I cannot even begin to describe my disgust over baseball in November, cameras hanging over the field of play, inter-league play, down right crappy umpiring, World Series games played in terrible weather, and most of all, my complete, total, unremitting, disgust with one Commissioner of Baseball: Bud Selig.

I can accept that A-Rod's been beaned 3 times in the past two games now by accident...but the warning then issued to BOTH teams disturbs me greatly. No way CC's going to jeopardize NY by beaning or even brushing back a Phil...but I do NOT want to see him get tossed if an inside pitch gets away from him because three different Phillie pitchers have hit A-Rod. In the current circumstances, why not simply warn Philadelphia...and if CC were so stupid as to feign some kind of payback in a World Series game (and boy, that would be REALLY stupid), THEN warn the Yankees as well?

Beaned? You mean hit by a pitch? "Beaned" means taking one to the head. If ARod were "beaned" 3 times this series he would be dead.

Precious ARod, did you see him complaining to Joe West when he got to second base? If I was a Phillie batter, I'd try my best to get hit by a pitch, and writhe on the ground like some euro soccer player to get CC tossed. There is no way that the Phillies wanted to get more men on base in the first inning.

J.H., I thought the term had morphed in recent years into a more general one for HBP. Sorry, the whole thing just annoyed me--again, I accept that all three HBP have been accidental, but OTOH it's a bit ridiculous, and I don't want to see CC end up getting tossed because of wild pitches on Philadelphia's part.

Man, rocky first inning for CC--I sure hope he can settle down. Kudos to the Phillies for coming right back at NY in the bottom of the 1st...NY lucky to get out of that with only 1 run given up. Took CC 24 pitches to get through it, which isn't good, given the 3 days' rest situation.

Edited by ghost of miles

Beaned? You mean hit by a pitch? "Beaned" means taking one to the head. If ARod were "beaned" 3 times this series he would be dead.

Precious ARod, did you see him complaining to Joe West when he got to second base? If I was a Phillie batter, I'd try my best to get hit by a pitch, and writhe on the ground like some euro soccer player to get CC tossed. There is no way that the Phillies wanted to get more men on base in the first inning.

It's because he got hit twice last night as well. When was the last time any player got hit 3 times in 2 consecutive World Series games? It's probably happened at some point, but I don't blame A-Rod for starting to feel irritated by it.

J.H., I thought the term had morphed in recent years into a more general one for HBP. Sorry, the whole thing just annoyed me--again, I accept that all three HBP have been accidental, but OTOH it's a bit ridiculous, and I don't want to see CC end up getting tossed because of wild pitches on Philadelphia's part.

Oh I totally understand your concern. I admit it does seem a little fishy that they hit the best hitter on the Yanks 3x in 2 games.

EDIT: Oh forgot to say that the funniest term I ever heard by a baseball broadcaster was by Chuck Thompson the guy who did the Orioles' games back in the 70's. He used to call errors "boners". "Ground ball to Belanger oh he did he make a big boner on that play..."

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Oh and the Phils need to get a new hitting coach. They should be making CC throw as many pitches as possible tonight. Instead they just hack away at the first thing that comes near the strike zone. Yeah, their lineup put up lots of runs but their situational hitting stinks - no patience whatsoever.

Oh and the Phils need to get a new hitting coach. They should be making CC throw as many pitches as possible tonight. Instead they just hack away at the first thing that comes near the strike zone. Yeah, their lineup put up lots of runs but their situational hitting stinks - no patience whatsoever.

J.H., I feel like NY's giving it right back to you at the opposite end of things--yeah, Blanton's being given a good strike zone by the ump, but for God's sake, the Yanks are just standing there watching some pretty good pitches sail by. And now Cano up...I don't even want to look.

NY really, really needs to put some more runs up w/CC pitching on only 3 days' rest.

Arrgghh--8 straight down for NY. Stop complaining to the ump and get some hits!