Art Carney Passed Away Today

grey

An item on MSNBC this afternoon that veteran actor Art Carney passed away today at age 85.

I just love those old Honeymooners reruns that they show on TV Land. The humor is timeless. I doubt if you could say that about current TV fare.

Edited by grey

Loved Carney in the "Harry and Tonto" and "The Late Show" and "Goin' In Style" and the sadly overlooked "House Calls" -- with the late, great Walter Matthau.

The great ones are irreplaceable.

Eighty-five years is a good, long life.

I love Art Carney. I love every physical thing Ed Norton does -- all the "warming up" and pushing up his sleeves before he writes with a pen or plays the piano -- thinking of Ed starting every tune with "Way down upon the Swanee River" while tutoring Ralph for a "Name That Tune"-style game show.

I also remember really being moved by him in "The Late Show" -- 1977 movie with Lily Tomlin where he plays an aging LA private eye -- haven't seen it since then -- maybe I'll try to rent it tonight.

I also remember really being moved by him in "The Late Show" -- 1977 movie with Lily Tomlin where he plays an aging LA private eye -- haven't seen it since then -- maybe I'll try to rent it tonight.

This is one even I know, the opposite of a movie buff. It was shown on German TV several times. One of the nicest Private Eye movies I've seen. Would like to see it again. RIP.

I love Art Carney. I love every physical thing Ed Norton does -- all the "warming up" and pushing up his sleeves before he writes with a pen or plays the piano -- thinking of Ed starting every tune with "Way down upon the Swanee River" while tutoring Ralph for a "Name That Tune"-style game show.

I saw an interview with him recently where he revealed that he got most of that "business" from his father. Evidently, his dad would go through similar rituals--licking the end of a pencil before writing, shaking out his sleeves--before doing things.

One hopes Art exaggerated it a little....

One more tribute... a belated Veteran's Day one:

Though one of television's finest actors, Art Carney actually began his career in music. He started doing impressions and tap dancing in nightclubs until he landed steady work with Horace Heidt's orchestra. Radio work, live shows and records followed until Carney was drafted into the Army.  After sustaining a leg injury during the invasion at Normandy, Carney returned to the States and began acting in radio dramas...